U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 07:06 AM

11,294 posts, read 16,404,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
But I thought p. tremuloides was native to NYC
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populus_tremuloides
I didn't know that, I've never seen them in NYC or here.

Quote:
Yes, plane trees can be pretty ugly in the fall. I don't like that they start to change color earlier than most trees.
London Planes look sickly by mid-summer, I don't know if it's the heat, or if that's just the way they are, but I don't like it, especially since they're one of the last trees to leaf out in the spring. And I love pines, but Virginia Pines generally look unsightly, I'm not a fan of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 07:33 AM

24,268 posts, read 17,531,453 times
Luckily our winters are too cold for platanii. Would hate to see them here.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:40 AM

22,198 posts, read 22,395,358 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachycarpus_fortunei

Kill it with fire.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:22 PM
B87

10,824 posts, read 6,914,240 times
They aren't the greatest, but they can look alright away from the coast.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.41...2!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.44...2!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.44...2!8i6656?hl=en

As opposed to these ones, which look a bit scrawny and wind damaged.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.46...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Last edited by B87; 06-12-2016 at 03:34 PM..

Old 06-12-2016, 03:25 PM
B87

10,824 posts, read 6,914,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post

London Planes look sickly by mid-summer, I don't know if it's the heat, or if that's just the way they are, but I don't like it, especially since they're one of the last trees to leaf out in the spring.
This year the planes weren't fully leafed out until the first week of May. Some of them have already dropped a few leaves, but many will still be shedding leaves in December. They are quite ugly when not in leaf.

Old 06-12-2016, 03:47 PM

11,482 posts, read 5,911,176 times
Well grown Trachycarpus fortunei can look stunning, unfortunately most are grown in the wrong spot...

In a windier spot Trachycarpus wagnerianus is better as it has smaller stiffer leaves, or even the hybrid between the two which has bigger but slightly less stiff leaves...

Old 06-12-2016, 04:00 PM

8,079 posts, read 6,233,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
London Planes look sickly by mid-summer, I don't know if it's the heat, or if that's just the way they are, but I don't like it, especially since they're one of the last trees to leaf out in the spring.
I've noticed that too, more so during dry summers. In Paris they look OK most years, but in Toulouse their leaves look parched by August every other year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Kill it with fire.
It's a shame really, plant one of these and the property values of the whole street go down the drain. Something has to be done to deter people from planting them, a police of good taste or something. Unfortunately that's what you get when your climate can't support decent looking palms unless you put a lot of effort and money into their cultivation, but is still plenty mild enough for these ugly bastards to thrive. It's a double whammy really.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:13 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,404,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
This year the planes weren't fully leafed out until the first week of May. Some of them have already dropped a few leaves, but many will still be shedding leaves in December. They are quite ugly when not in leaf.
I think ours were fully leafed by the 2nd week of May, pretty late. And they're not the most attractive tree, however I like their bark. They're grossly over planted in NYC, they're supposed to be great city tree, but i beg to differ.

I hate when they're over pruned this way, it looks disgusting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
I've noticed that too, more so during dry summers. In Paris they look OK most years, but in Toulouse their leaves look parched by August every other year.
Yes, the leaves are a tan-ish green by August and they continue to die before they turn completely crispy and fall off in November. It doesn't matter how wet or dry summer is, they always end up looking very drought stressed.

Quote:
It's a shame really, plant one of these and the property values of the whole street go down the drain. Something has to be done to deter people from planting them, a police of good taste or something. Unfortunately that's what you get when your climate can't support decent looking palms unless you put a lot of effort and money into their cultivation, but is still plenty mild enough for these ugly bastards to thrive. It's a double whammy really.
Lol I never knew they were hated that much. They look their best with their trunk fibers stripped away in my opinion, or at least planted in groups. Standalone specimens can look ghastly.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:04 PM

3,602 posts, read 1,814,458 times
I don't think that windmill palms look that bad, sure they are not the best looking palms, but they still look decent even if they are lining the roads.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.5135...7i13312!8i6656

I think whats most important is that they look healthy

Another tree that I like which most people think of as merely a bush is the rhododendron.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:21 PM

22,198 posts, read 22,395,358 times
They are everywhere and it has to stop. If it doesn't stop soon I'll be obliged to take matters into my own hands. I have already warned my neighbour that if he doesn't dispose of his 2-foot Trachy I'll chop it down myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather