U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 11:39 PM

2,412 posts, read 1,767,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy995 View Post
So you admit that your friend's station is bogus Yes, I don't doubt that LA can have a day or two in the 90's in winter, but when half of January is 90F then that is just bullcrap. And the diurnal ranges from that "station" seem very ridiculous for an urban location aswell.

Geez, for the airport seems to get A LOT of 90F+ days for a station so close to the 60F ocean with its seabreezes
the ocean is not as cold as you state it, averages 70s during late August early Sep (closest beach to fullerton) Newport/Laguna/Huntington etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 11:41 PM

13 posts, read 8,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
bot totally bogus b/c fullerton is a sort of little valley where my friend lives and it has is own microclimate, but yeah I believe its streching the temps a little bit, a little bit because half of Jan was at 80F+
Just a little bit, that's an understatement and a half. The place averages 68F in the coolest months, so half the month over 80F+ is pure crap. Your friend's weather station is inaccurate and not representative of the area.

Quote:
the ocean is not as cold as you state it, averages 70s during late August early Sep (closest beach to fullerton) Newport/Laguna/Huntington etc.
I was talking about winter....

Old 02-14-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy995 View Post
Just a little bit, that's an understatement and a half. The place averages 68F in the coolest months, so half the month over 80F+ is pure crap. Your friend's weather station is inaccurate and not representative of the area.

I was talking about winter....
Monthly Weather Forecast for Fullerton, CA - weather.com

12 days at 79F and above plus more in the 75- 78 range

and may I say that Fullerton Municipal is not shilded by any hills like where my friend lives which makes conditions and temps higher.

and just to give you an idea, and for you to believe me for once

Here is Burbank in LA

Monthly Weather Forecast for Burbank, CA - weather.com

15 days 79F an above plus a handful in the 76 - 78 mark

Old 02-14-2014, 11:58 PM

1,674 posts, read 912,147 times
Quote:
Monthly Weather Forecast for Fullerton, CA - weather.com

12 days at 79F and above plus more in the 75- 78 range

and may I say that Fullerton Municipal is not shilded by any hills like where my friend lives which makes conditions and temps higher.
That's just it: that's an exaggeration.

12 days at 79F at above is NOT half the month at 80F or above. It's close, but it's not fully true, so you're exaggerating.

Quote:
and just to give you an idea, and for you to believe me for once

Here is Burbank in LA

Monthly Weather Forecast for Burbank, CA - weather.com

15 days 79F an above plus a handful in the 76 - 78 mark
Same thing again.

Also when you said the average for this winter was 80F.

Also when you said the beaches average 80F in summer.

Also when you said downtown LA itself averages 90F in summer.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
That's just it: that's an exaggeration.

12 days at 79F at above is NOT half the month at 80F or above. It's close, but it's not fully true, so you're exaggerating.

Same thing again.

Also when you said the average for this winter was 80F.

Also when you said the beaches average 80F in summer.

Also when you said downtown LA itself averages 90F in summer.
cant i ****ing round to even nice numbers

Burbank averaged 78F (daily Max) so I rounded to 80, big deal

Check Torrance, Palos Verdes, Long Beach, Seal Beach, San Pedro, Willmington, for ****'s sake even Laguna Beach for crying out load (check his averaged on Weather Channel)

LA Downtown is Downtown not USC, I know its close by but not exactly same climate, Urban heat/car traffic in DTLA (proper) plays a big role in increased temps.

Old 02-15-2014, 12:22 AM

Quote:
cant i ****ing round to even nice numbers

Burbank averaged 78F (daily Max) so I rounded to 80, big deal
Why not round to 100F? That's an even number too.

Quote:
Check Torrance, Palos Verdes, Long Beach, Seal Beach, San Pedro, Willmington, for ****'s sake even Laguna Beach for crying out load (check his averaged on Weather Channel)
These are reliable, valid data:

OXNARD, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary
SANTA MONICA PIER, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary
LOS ANGELES WSO ARPT, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary
SAN PEDRO, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary
LONG BEACH, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary
NEWPORT BEACH HARBOR, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary
LAGUNA BEACH, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary
OCEANSIDE MARINA, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary

That's pretty much the whole coast from Oxnard down through LAX all the way to Oceanside. There's one beach in there that averages 80F for a single month only. To say "the beaches average 80F in summer" is a gross exaggeration.

Quote:
LA Downtown is Downtown not USC, I know its close by but not exactly same climate, Urban heat/car traffic in DTLA (proper) plays a big role in increased temps.
I don't see what's wrong with the LA Civic Center station? The weather there looks nice! Why lie about it?

Old 02-15-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Why not round to 100F? That's an even number too.

These are reliable, valid data:

OXNARD, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary
SANTA MONICA PIER, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary
LOS ANGELES WSO ARPT, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary
SAN PEDRO, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary
LONG BEACH, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary
NEWPORT BEACH HARBOR, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary
LAGUNA BEACH, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary
OCEANSIDE MARINA, CALIFORNIA - Climate Summary

That's pretty much the whole coast from Oxnard down through LAX all the way to Oceanside. There's one beach in there that averages 80F for a single month only. To say "the beaches average 80F in summer" is a gross exaggeration.

I don't see what's wrong with the LA Civic Center station? The weather there looks nice! Why lie about it?
Average Weather for Palos Verdes Estates, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

78 highest month

Average Weather for Long Beach, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

84 highest month

Average Weather for Seal Beach, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

84 highest month

Average Weather for Laguna Beach, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

80 highest month

Average Weather for Dana Point, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

80 highest month

Average Weather for San Clemente, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

80 highest month

Average Weather for San Pedro, CA - Temperature and Precipitation

78 highest month

Old 02-15-2014, 12:15 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,059,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
FL is a small part of a huge country with mostly continental climates. Way too much of the USA is just one big continental climate with either very hot summers or just warm to hot summers. Most of the South is a weird combination of subtropical/continental with extreme winters thrown in every once in a while.

I crave winter temp stability, and it is almost non-existent in the eastern 2/3 of the US.
Yeah, that is one thing about the US (East of the Rockies) I dislike; the only lands there that have winter stability are the inland portions of Central/South Texas ( Austin, San Antonio, Laredo, etc), the Texas Coast and barrier islands (Houston/Galveston, Corpus Christi,etc), Lousiana Coast and Delta ( New Orleans metro), extreme coastal Mississippi, and Alabama, the entire state of Florida, and Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina east of the Appalachians( Brunswick, Savannah, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Cape Hattaras).

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 02-15-2014 at 12:24 PM..

Old 02-15-2014, 05:45 PM

Even if I take those stats as accurate (which is highly doubtful since there's no indication which weather station they're from, years of record, etc) is still doesn't prove your point for the following reasons.

Long Beach and Seal Beach data are identical, hence from the same station.

San Clemente, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach data are all identical, hence from the same station. Moreover, the average for the summer is less than 80F, so you've just proven yourself wrong.

Palos Verdes Estates and San Pedro are also from the same station. And this station (as you point out) never even reaches 80F, so it clearly cannot average 80F. Again, you've shown yourself to be mistaken.

The overwhelming amount of data disprove your assertion that the LA beaches average 80F in summer. This is just not true. Any data you provide serve only to weaken your argument. You may as well be trying to prove 2+2=5.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Even if I take those stats as accurate (which is highly doubtful since there's no indication which weather station they're from, years of record, etc) is still doesn't prove your point for the following reasons.

Long Beach and Seal Beach data are identical, hence from the same station.

San Clemente, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach data are all identical, hence from the same station. Moreover, the average for the summer is less than 80F, so you've just proven yourself wrong.

Palos Verdes Estates and San Pedro are also from the same station. And this station (as you point out) never even reaches 80F, so it clearly cannot average 80F. Again, you've shown yourself to be mistaken.

The overwhelming amount of data disprove your assertion that the LA beaches average 80F in summer. This is just not true. Any data you provide serve only to weaken your argument. You may as well be trying to prove 2+2=5.
Stats say those beaches have summers in the 80s ( with exception of palos verdes I included it to show it is close, off by two degrees), who are you to say that those readings are wrong any ways, again I will believe these sources rather than you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or