U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 10:11 AM

100 posts, read 78,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
FL is a small part of a huge country with mostly continental climates. Way too much of the USA is just one big continental climate with either very hot summers or just warm to hot summers. Most of the South is a weird combination of subtropical/continental with extreme winters thrown in every once in a while.

I crave winter temp stability, and it is almost non-existent in the eastern 2/3 of the US.
No, no, no. The continental climate is confined to the Upper-Midwest and New England. Yes, Subtropical climates are variable. The people that really want to make the USA unattractive spew crap about everything above South Florida from the east to west coasts being Continental and a tiny dot at the tip of Florida they might label Subtropical it's ridiculous. FYI: The US is warmer than China, and the Humid Continental climate looses out to the Humid Subtropical and Arid climates in terms of which are the most dominant climate regimes. The US also has a greater variety of tropical biomes and climates, including a far greater area of them, than China does. Cut the ****, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Yeah, that is one thing about the US (East of the Rockies) I dislike; the only lands there that have winter stability are the inland portions of Central/South Texas ( Austin, San Antonio, Laredo, etc), the Texas Coast and barrier islands (Houston/Galveston, Corpus Christi,etc), Lousiana Coast and Delta ( New Orleans metro), extreme coastal Mississippi, and Alabama, the entire state of Florida, and Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina east of the Appalachians( Brunswick, Savannah, Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Cape Hattaras).
The same can be said of China. I've seen people romanticize China's warmth and then decry the US. Um, China is on average a much colder country than the US is. Inland Subtropical locations and Subtropical Highland climates do tend to see more pronounced seasons, just like, again, China for example.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
The Midwest also has many days in a row with near-normal temperatures at times during winter. Doesn't take away from the fact that it can be 40 F one day and 0 F the next day. It's not like the Midwest is constantly fluctuating in the winter, doesn't mean it's stable. In Tallahassee where I live (I'm in Clarksville, TN right now) on the week of Jan 25-29 it went from 75 F on the 25th for a high, to 37 F on the 27th, back up to 67 F on the 29th. Not only that, on Jan 5th the high was 68 F, the next day the high was 35 F, the day after that it was 53 F and then 73 F on the 9th. That is NOT stable, and yes this Jan has been a bit colder than normal, but those erratic temperature swings happen quite frequently in the South, there is no denying that.
But extremes matter next to none. On average, they're warm enough to be Subtropical, even as for north as Southern Illinois and New Jersey! China's climates actually get colder, but you're talking about stability. Stability doesn't matter to me. I would rather have one day of 35F weather than months of it in a climate that's supposed to be Subtropical, a la China

Old 01-31-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
None of those areas you mentioned have winter temp stability. Would you please quit just posting falsehoods and back it up with climate data.

San Antonio for instance has a standard deviation of 11F on the Jan daily high temp, and a std deviation of 10F on the low temp. Mobile, AL has 10F on the high and 12F on the low. Pretty much the same as everywhere east of the Rockies like Philly. Please use data and backup your exaggerated claims about how "subtropical" and "stable" the South is. In summer, the std deviations are half that. That is stable in summer, not winter.

The only somewhat stable winter in the east is deep S. Florida. Miami has 6F on the max, and 9F on the min.

I'll bet that Asia, Australia, S. America, and Europe all have lower standard deviation of temps on their winter climate.
Lower average winter temps are what make or break a Subtropical climate. If a China gets long periods of cold weather in it's subtropical climates, and the US only gets maybe a handful of weeks that contain a shoot down to the 30's usually, I'm gonna consider the latter more acceptable. Asia's Subtropical climates are colder, and Europe barely has any to speak of. The US's subtropical climates extend from far southern Illinois and Southern New Jersey, stopping at portions of Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Texas in the west and Brownsville and Central Florida in the South.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:32 AM

12,097 posts, read 9,630,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasey98 View Post
No. The continental climate is found in a very small amount of places outside of the Upper-Midwest and Northern New England. The Subtropical and Desert climates make up a larger area. The US is not Russia, it's not the most continental country in the world. The USA is classified as a warm to hot climate country by climatologists

Hi Wavehunter.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:12 AM

587 posts, read 385,861 times
It has to be Chile. It's got everything. Ice caps, tundra, oceanic, mediterranean, semi arid and full on desert. Plus a few spots inland in the south that are continental. As for tropical and humid subtropical? It has Easter Island. Just makes it as tropical on the coast, but rises to 500m so must be humid subtropical at the top

USA also has a huge variety as does Russia. Not China for me because it lacks Mediterranean climates despite most of it being at the right latitude.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:25 AM

1,198 posts, read 914,352 times
The United States by far; however, all the areas with the type of weather I enjoy most are overrun with undesirables now unless you have a lot of money.

The United states has everything.
You got beautiful tropics in south Florida, the Keys, and Hawaii.
You got subtropical in the south
You got desert in the southwest
You got perpetually crappy weather in the north west and Alaska for the fatties
You got 4 seasons in most of the country
And you got Really Really nice weather in coastal Southern California.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:15 PM

3,200 posts, read 1,978,160 times
Australia has lots of good tropical, subtropical, and Mediterranean climates good for agriculture, human comfort, and beach weather!

Old 01-31-2015, 12:38 PM

12,251 posts, read 6,650,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
Australia has lots of good tropical, subtropical, and Mediterranean climates good for agriculture, human comfort, and beach weather!
7% humidity isn't my idea of comfort.

Old 01-31-2015, 12:41 PM

3,200 posts, read 1,978,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
7% humidity isn't my idea of comfort.
Northern Australia will provide dewpoints to your liking and Brizzy is probably your ideal A climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or