Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 08:34 AM

3,574 posts, read 3,796,321 times

Advertisements

Chile, if you adjust for the surface area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 08:35 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,735,183 times
It's so easy to say USA or Russia, so I'm choosing a smaller country, and that is Croatia. A continental climate like Zagreb and even more, Osijek, mediterranean areas like Dubrovnik and Split, and warm oceanic/subtropical like Rijeka. Head for higher elevation for more snow.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:41 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,889,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
The USA in terms of a range of climates to suit almost anyone, also happens that most of the east coast is perfect for me.

But one area I think we are lacking is a climate with warm wet summers of say low 80's F, with mild winters. A Sydney type climate if you will. The closest I found was Cape Hatteras, but only a very small area in the east or southeast has that type of climate. Everywhere else in the South the summers are too hot.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:51 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,889,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Overcast View Post
USA would have the biggest variety. You have everything from tropical to deserts to extremely cold winters. The only thing missing is a true equatorial climate like SE Asia or the very northern parts of Australia.

Australia has a big variety too, ski fields to true tropical to desert climates both dry and humid that would give the Middle East some stiff competition. The major missing piece of the puzzle is very cold winters.
And one of the things I love about Australia's climate is that they don't have anywhere really cold. A huge plus. I almost picked Australia but I wish they had those towering snowcapped mountains.

I love the fact that huge ocean seperates Australia from Antarctica. Very lucky in that regard. What a huge difference it would make in our climate if Canada were an ocean.
When the jet stream is level straight across the country our winters are very mild.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:43 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,585,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
I'll be chauvinistic but in terms of climatical diversity France isn't bad, especially compared to its size. From the cool oceanic on the channel, to the drier/warmer oceanic of Atlantic big south-west, to mediterranean in south-east, passing from more continentalized forms of all those climates, some humid subtropical around Toulouse and Lyon, pannonian-like in Burgundy, southern German-like climate in Lorraine and Alsace, and finally all the variations due to the extremely varied elevations, from low lying plains to the high peaks of the Alps and pyerennes (3000 to 4807m), passing thru "average montains" of Jura and massif central (around 1000/2000m), highs plateaus (1000m) and many hilly areas (below 1000 meters); which give huge scape of climatical variations. Plus the tropical climate of many oversea departements, and some sub artic ones...

Obviously, the giant countries such as Russia, USA, Canada, Brazil, etc. will have variety, but since that's with the condition to travel as much as if we change continent, compared to their size I find them quite homogenous.

In Europe, Spain is also among the most varied climates, due to the Atlantic and mediterranean facades, plateaus, various mountain ranges, which created close very distinct climates, often with sharp contrasts.
I had thought about France and Spain, but they seem to lack the combination of hot summers with high rainfall. Does anywhere in those two countries, have hot summers- maximum of high 20's C+, and high summer rainfall- 75 mm+ a month?

Old 08-29-2013, 11:55 AM

2,855 posts, read 5,249,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Does anywhere in those two countries, have hot summers- maximum of high 20's C+, and high summer rainfall- 75 mm+ a month?
All of France has well above 20°C highs in summers (maybe excepted Brest and Cotentin part of Normandy but I'm not even sure). 20°C in summer is cool, not "hot summer" !...
Summers average highs in northern half of France are around 24°C and around 28°C in the south. all areas usually are relatively dry in summer, and very dry in the mediterranean south

Old 08-29-2013, 11:57 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,324,806 times
Quote:
I had thought about France and Spain, but they seem to lack the combination of hot summers with high rainfall. Does anywhere in those two countries, have hot summers- maximum of high 20's C+, and high summer rainfall- 75 mm+ a month?
September in Florence:

Florence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-29-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
All of France has well above 20°C highs in summers (maybe excepted Brest and Cotentin part of Normandy but I'm not even sure). 20°C in summer is cool, not "hot summer" !...
Summers average highs in northern half of France are around 24°C and around 28°C in the south. all areas usually are relatively dry in summer, and very dry in the mediterranean south
Sorry, I was meaning maximums in the high 20's C+ and high summer rainfall. Like NYC for example.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yep, that's getting close. If France and Spain have these summers anywhere, it would elevate their status.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:16 PM

2,672 posts, read 3,176,186 times
Quote:
Yes, much of northern Italy, especially the areas close to the Alps, have hot summers (average highs of 28-30°C in July and August) and abundant summer rainfall: Milan, Verona, Venice, Trieste, Udine, Bolzano, Turin.
Look at Verbania, Piedmont if you like hot summers with great rainfall (both due to atlantic depressions and convective thunderstorms), it's impressive:

Stazione meteorologica di Verbania - Wikipedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather