U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-05-2013, 06:21 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
4,444 posts, read 4,350,520 times
Reputation: 3323

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Overcast View Post
I don't hate Melbourne at all, it's a great city and all, I just hate its climate. It's a **** climate for both summer lovers and snow lovers.

Seriously, I can't just pack up and leave on a whim, I have family, friends and job here. It ain't that simple my friend. Unless I win the $20 million Powerball and can tell the world to kiss my hairy ass, I'm stuck with reality.
Well, maybe you should make it your life's goal to live in your climate paradise. As for the job, aren't jobs super-easy to get over there? Heck, you make $20 a frickin' hour just putting stock on shelves - I can't even dream of such a thing around here...lol. It's not like that here, but then again, the US is a crappy, 3rd world country in a state of perpetual decline. As for family, tell them to come and visit you if they want....lol. As for Melbourne, I'd take a pass on that, even if it was cold and snowy half the year - big cities aren't to my liking...lol, which is one reason I can't wait to get out of Atlanta someday. Sure, I'll miss my friends here, but I'll make new ones up in my dream locale, no doubt.

I just get the feeling you're extremely unhappy where you are - I'd think real hard about making a move to a place where you'd be happy all year round.

Interesting you guys have the Powerball lottery there just like we do...lol.

Oh, thank Lady Luck for your good fortune, will ya? Your crappy climate notwithstanding, you're one lucky guy to live in a place that that's always booming, now and forevermore into the future, a place where everybody who wants to work can work, and cheap health care for all - sounds like Utopia to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2013, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
404 posts, read 564,658 times
Reputation: 329
What FO doesn't tell you is that there are places barely 1 hours' drive from Melbourne that average nearly 30C in the height of summer:

Climate statistics for Australian locations

Note that these are 1899-1970 averages (more recent stats unavailable), so contemporary averages might well be a tad warmer.

The Great Dividing Range runs East-West in Central VIC, north of the range is consistently warm-hot from December-March because the cool maritime air so loathed by FO stops at the crest of the range (Kilmore Gap for those playing along at home). Having spent some time in Central and Northern VIC in summer, I can attest to it.

Commuting to Melbourne from places like Seymour is possible- there is a semi frequent commuter rail service. However, you'd have to give up some of the benefits of the big city... but you can't have it both ways.

What you could always do is take frequent weekend/day sojourns to inland VIC, as I do when escaping to cooler climes that are within striking distance of my locale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2013, 09:56 PM
 
Location: Dalby, Queensland
473 posts, read 483,600 times
Reputation: 282
Currently the dew point is about 1C, incredibly low considering that the wind is from the east, but still much higher than the -12C or so it was on Monday with south-westerlies. Thankfully it's looking like there will be a good storm outbreak in eastern Queensland starting on Sunday, so hopefully that will be able to flush out this extremely dry air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2013, 04:20 AM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
3,067 posts, read 3,361,974 times
Reputation: 2133
Not much to report from here, hasn't rained for nearly 3 weeks and temperatures have been above average since late October. Looking warm to hot for the next week with temperatures peaking at 37C this Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2013, 05:14 AM
 
Location: Melbourne Australia
688 posts, read 650,609 times
Reputation: 370
It actually exceeded 30C today, and the morning felt like summer, warm and sunny. Made the several beers taste that much better after another pain in the ass day at work.

Ofcourse it's only a one-day wonder as per ****, back to 17-18C and cloudy showery dross for the foreseeable future.

Hope those damn perfs enjoy their freaking summer. I sleep at night knowing that perf is the most expensive city in an already expensive country, and that it is a small and very isolated city at that, so there is nothing to do except smoke drugs. Fun fact... the Northern Territory is actually a lot easier to get to and a lot closer by paved roads to Melbourne than to Perfffff. Also, because Perf is a 4 hour flight from anywhere else that matters in Australia, plane tickets are vastly more expensive than from Melbourne, even on low cost carriers.

Another fun fact, you could fly from London to ****ing Moscow in LESS time than it takes to fly from Perfffff to Melbourne. In that time, you have cross the entirety of Europe and its 700 million people, and then some into the doorstep of Siberia.

Here is another Perfff fact: It is actually further from Perffff to Brisbane than it is from London to Cairo. In the time it takes to fly from Perfffff to Brisbane, you would have traversed a continent of over 700 million people, crossed the Medittereainan (**** knows how to spell that) and landing in the hot arid regions of arab Africa. Think about that **** for a moment.

Last edited by Full Overcast; 11-06-2013 at 05:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2013, 06:46 AM
 
Location: Melbourne Australia
688 posts, read 650,609 times
Reputation: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Well, maybe you should make it your life's goal to live in your climate paradise. As for the job, aren't jobs super-easy to get over there?
Not really no. A graduate position in my field invariably demands 2, 3 4 or even 5 years *proven* experience on the workforce. How the **** are ya supposed to gain that experience when every entry level job demands it?


Quote:
Heck, you make $20 a frickin' hour just putting stock on shelves - I can't even dream of such a thing around here...lol. It's not like that here, but then again, the US is a crappy, 3rd world country in a state of perpetual decline.
yes wages are high, but cost of living is high aswell. At least in the city. If you have your $20 an hour supermarket job in a country town, you can live like a king. Rents will likely be less than half your wages and in most cases council rates and utilities are covered by the landlord, at least to some extent. In country Victoria for example, you can find a decent rental for about $200 a week while you earn $600 or more for cutting open boxes and putting goods on shelfs (and telling customers to get ****ed) LOL

If you own an a car with LPG, and have a 20-30km commute to work, a weekly fuel top up could cost only $30-40. I find I only have to refuel my car (a 215hp V6 Ford station wagon) only every 8-9 days @ about $35.


Quote:
As for family, tell them to come and visit you if they want....lol. As for Melbourne, I'd take a pass on that, even if it was cold and snowy half the year - big cities aren't to my liking...lol, which is one reason I can't wait to get out of Atlanta someday. Sure, I'll miss my friends here, but I'll make new ones up in my dream locale, no doubt.
True


Quote:
I just get the feeling you're extremely unhappy where you are - I'd think real hard about making a move to a place where you'd be happy all year round.
I actually unhappy about my life situation right now, the climate is just an insult to injury.


Quote:
Interesting you guys have the Powerball lottery there just like we do...lol.
Yup, and the only people who seem to win it are in their 90's and about to drop dead therefore no use for the money.

Quote:
Oh, thank Lady Luck for your good fortune, will ya? Your crappy climate notwithstanding, you're one lucky guy to live in a place that that's always booming, now and forevermore into the future, a place where everybody who wants to work can work, and cheap health care for all - sounds like Utopia to me.
Australia has it's good points yes, but finding a job other than being a dead end labourer is not as easy as it may seem. They all want years of experience, even for a graduate position. Unless you have connections, it's a struggle to get in. My dad tried to get a job in the mines driving trucks, and he has been a trucker and bus driver all his life and he holds the highest class of truck licence here. No one even gave him a chance.

Yes getting 20 bucks for filling shelves is good, even at 35 hours a week and spending a lot on booze, food, hobbies, bills and other stuff my bank account is growing like mould in a tropical climate. But it's not something I want to do for the rest of my life. And my work place goes through managers like hotcakes at the bakery. My current manager is a right foul neurotic witch, replacing a good mate of mine due to a company restructure The work environment has suffered, people's moods have suffered and the place looks like a nuetron bomb had hit it. My former boss and good friend did a fantastic job and was an awesome guy to work with and was really good at what he did, but the company doesn't give a ****

Last edited by Full Overcast; 11-06-2013 at 07:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2013, 03:56 PM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
3,067 posts, read 3,361,974 times
Reputation: 2133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Overcast View Post

Another fun fact, you could fly from London to ****ing Moscow in LESS time than it takes to fly from Perfffff to Melbourne.
And it's quicker to get from Perth to anywhere in Southeast Asia, the Middle East, Africa or Europe so what is your point? It's not like anywhere in Australia is exactly the centre of the universe, your constant berating of Perth is sad and pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2013, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Melbourne Australia
688 posts, read 650,609 times
Reputation: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
And it's quicker to get from Perth to anywhere in Southeast Asia, the Middle East, Africa or Europe so what is your point? It's not like anywhere in Australia is exactly the centre of the universe, your constant berating of Perth is sad and pathetic.
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah


Something amazing happened here. The overnight low DIDN'T drop below 20C! And today it's warmer than forecast, currently 26C at 11am. We won't even be reaching 20C during the day for the forseeable future according to the forecast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2013, 05:25 PM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 18,574,147 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Overcast View Post
It actually exceeded 30C today, and the morning felt like summer, warm and sunny. Made the several beers taste that much better after another pain in the ass day at work.

Ofcourse it's only a one-day wonder as per ****, back to 17-18C and cloudy showery dross for the foreseeable future.

Hope those damn perfs enjoy their freaking summer. I sleep at night knowing that perf is the most expensive city in an already expensive country, and that it is a small and very isolated city at that, so there is nothing to do except smoke drugs. Fun fact... the Northern Territory is actually a lot easier to get to and a lot closer by paved roads to Melbourne than to Perfffff. Also, because Perf is a 4 hour flight from anywhere else that matters in Australia, plane tickets are vastly more expensive than from Melbourne, even on low cost carriers.

Another fun fact, you could fly from London to ****ing Moscow in LESS time than it takes to fly from Perfffff to Melbourne. In that time, you have cross the entirety of Europe and its 700 million people, and then some into the doorstep of Siberia.

Here is another Perfff fact: It is actually further from Perffff to Brisbane than it is from London to Cairo. In the time it takes to fly from Perfffff to Brisbane, you would have traversed a continent of over 700 million people, crossed the Medittereainan (**** knows how to spell that) and landing in the hot arid regions of arab Africa. Think about that **** for a moment.
Moscow is 1700 miles away and Cairo is 2500 miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2013, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Melbourne Australia
688 posts, read 650,609 times
Reputation: 370
Look at the contrast in low and high temps today Latest Weather Observations for the Melbourne Area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top