U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 07:21 PM

15,911 posts, read 12,465,198 times

Advertisements

Nice spring weather today. Overcast and pleasantly humid. I much prefer this to sunny sea breeze days.

Having to work the weekend again. A couple of photos,... of where I had my break, and a photo of a cool old house across the street - these sorts of places are disappearing, as the older hill suburbs, become more sought after.

24C/74F (3.17 pm), with 64% RH, overcast and calm.
Attached Thumbnails
Spring Thread 2013 - (Sept-Nov) - Southern Hemisphere-gedc0784.jpg   Spring Thread 2013 - (Sept-Nov) - Southern Hemisphere-gedc0792.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 07:30 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,131,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Nice spring weather today. Overcast and pleasantly humid. I much prefer this to sunny sea breeze days.

Having to work the weekend again. A couple of photos,... of where I had my break, and a photo of a cool old house across the street - these sorts of places are disappearing, as the older hill suburbs, become more sought after.

24C/74F (3.17 pm), with 64% RH, overcast and calm.
Wow look how tall those CIDPs are! Wellington's climate seems to be very very comfortable for them, more than their native habitat haha

Old 11-15-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Wow look how tall those CIDPs are! Wellington's climate seems to be very very comfortable for them, more than their native habitat haha
Yep, climates with good year round rainfall are lucky.

Some of the newer species of palms around here, grow quickly -Washingtonias grow about 2 ft of trunk a year.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Yep, climates with good year round rainfall are lucky.

Some of the newer species of palms around here, grow quickly -Washingtonias grow about 2 ft of trunk a year.
Always find it funny that some vegetation that isn't native to one place manage to grow better than their native habitat. I don't think Washingtonias grow that fast here, despite it being a native palm to the US

Old 11-15-2013, 08:29 PM

4,986 posts, read 6,267,848 times
Quote:
Never ever will I express a preference for an overcast day. The only context where a day with some rain is acceptable for me is if it hasn't rained for quite a while, the day is mild to warm, zero wind or light breezes, cloud cover is thinnish and quite high, and the rain is light and intermittent.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Never ever will I express a preference for an overcast day. The only context where a day with some rain is acceptable for me is if it hasn't rained for quite a while, the day is mild to warm, zero wind or light breezes, cloud cover is thinnish and quite high, and the rain is light and intermittent.
Your aversion to rain and cloud is interesting. Do you get a claustrophobic feeling under cloud? I know someone who expresses their dislike of cloud/rain, in that way.

I generally prefer a sunny day, but those clear blue days with a chilling sea breeze, can get a bit old- particularly with North Easterlies.

It's been about two weeks since rain here. Still green, but the ground is getting hard

Old 11-16-2013, 12:09 AM

2,688 posts, read 3,760,628 times
Very nice today with a 27 C high. Extensive high cloud gave way to sunny skies early afternoon. But the inevitable southerly change came through about half an hour ago, dropping the temp to 15 C at 8 PM.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:50 AM

473 posts, read 484,357 times
Really starting to get sick of these stupid dry westerly winds. Dew point of -6.8C at 5pm. You'd think a strong El Nino event would be occurring right now with this exceptionally dry weather, but ENSO is currently in a neutral state. 68.4mm of rain here since the start of August, in November alone there should be more rainfall than that. If I don't see any more soon by the end of this month, then it will be the driest August-November period in nearly 100 years.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:59 AM

4,986 posts, read 6,267,848 times
Quote:
Your aversion to rain and cloud is interesting. Do you get a claustrophobic feeling under cloud? I know someone who expresses their dislike of cloud/rain, in that way.

I generally prefer a sunny day, but those clear blue days with a chilling sea breeze, can get a bit old- particularly with North Easterlies.

It's been about two weeks since rain here. Still green, but the ground is getting hard
I've simply seen too much cloudiness in my lifetime. Even in your climate, I would not welcome most of the cloudy days. I also far prefer brightness and lovely blue domes to most cloud effects and have a particular aversion to hill-hugging low cloud.

As for rainfall, I'd prefer to be in a much drier climate. Although if the number of 1mm+ raindays were below say 75, up to 1200mm might be tolerable.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george960 View Post
Really starting to get sick of these stupid dry westerly winds. Dew point of -6.8C at 5pm. You'd think a strong El Nino event would be occurring right now with this exceptionally dry weather, but ENSO is currently in a neutral state. 68.4mm of rain here since the start of August, in November alone there should be more rainfall than that. If I don't see any more soon by the end of this month, then it will be the driest August-November period in nearly 100 years.
I'm sure Full Overcast would love that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or