U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-18-2013, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
2,688 posts, read 3,755,344 times
Reputation: 1494

Advertisements

The forecast from a few days ago predicting a nearly uninterrupted run of sunshine turned out to be a complete lie. It's been overcast almost constantly since then and the forecast now predicts a full week of cloud from Thursday onwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-18-2013, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Buxton UK
4,970 posts, read 4,207,172 times
Reputation: 2383
Oh you could do worse. You could live in Buxton. On the 18th May this year (equivalent to your November) our high was 8.1C, with precisely 0 hours of sunshine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2013, 06:58 AM
 
Location: Buenos Aires and La Plata, ARG
2,077 posts, read 1,576,430 times
Reputation: 1380
Still snowing in Ushuaia. This morning:





Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2013, 02:39 AM
 
Location: Top of the South, NZ
15,865 posts, read 12,438,182 times
Reputation: 5055
Swimming season again. I've been going to the river after work. The water is still a bit cool at about 18-19C/66F, but is warm once in and the hot sun makes it easier. The water temperature at the beaches is a little warmer, at about 20C/68F where I was today (photo), and a degree or two warmer at the beaches further south.
Attached Thumbnails
Spring Thread 2013 - (Sept-Nov) - Southern Hemisphere-gedc0881.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2013, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Casca - Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
595 posts, read 478,501 times
Reputation: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
Oh you could do worse. You could live in Buxton. On the 18th May this year (equivalent to your November) our high was 8.1C, with precisely 0 hours of sunshine.
Your winters have 9 months, they are too long.

Our last high below 8C was in August 27 here (your February).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2013, 12:41 PM
 
Location: Crieff, Scotland 56.4N 3.8W
486 posts, read 419,114 times
Reputation: 170
Ushuaia looks nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2013, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Eastern Sydney, Australia
2,400 posts, read 2,615,605 times
Reputation: 1532
I had a great time - in fact despite originally staying a week, I extended my stay by another week as I just couldn't face coming back to Sydney's awful westerly sunny, dry and bushfire/smokey weather - in the northern half of the North Island except that the "famed showery and changeable weather" were notably absent in all but a few days and even by this not good enough .
All I saw were mostly sunny and dry weather (Auckland, Mangere, had 218 hours of sun and 33mm at the airport & Mangere 28mm) - not what I signed up for .
I would have been better off going to Wellywind as it had the best of nice weather - cloudy (175 hours) and wet (160mm)
Great coming back home to cool, stormy and wet weather .
Nice to see lawns and plants looking darkly green, alive and "laughing" instead of being horribly droopy, dead and brown/yellow.
Rapid decreases in horrible windy westerlies, sunny days and less smoky air and increases in cloudy and wet days (bushfires extinguished now ) has been so nice - much welcomed by locals including me .
A bloke at work - Kiwi from Palmy North - had the bloody gall to complain about the recent rains, immediately got ticked off by us "locals", we'd rather the rain than horrible smoky, evil and murderous westerly bushfires that destroyed over 200 homes in the Blue Mountains, one of those belonging to a good mate of mine. Only would a Kiwi moan about the rain, we don't care and the hell with them. Rain is far more important!!!
Many sites in the eastern suburbs have recorded 170mm + (over 200% of average) of rain making this month on track to be the wettest November since 1984
Rainfalls to 9am 23rd unless stated:
Ob Hill: 182mm
Botanic Gardens: 173mm (to 9am 19th)
Rose Bay: 200mm (to 9am 22nd)
Randwick: 202mm
Airport: 171mm
The torrential downpours last Friday and especially Saturday evening were incredible with Rose Bay recording 70mm between 9pm and 10pm on Saturday evening. The rain simply roared down leading to severe flash flooding. The street I live on turned into a "big" raging creek, neighbours and I were outside watching the water rushing down the street and the park opposite overflowed all sides making for some nice "waterfalls", such an amazing sight
Today is a bit icky due to cool westerlies but not for long, back to showery and cloudy S-SE conditions this afternoon
Temperatures have been largely on the cool side of average. It has been humid lately so I've not had to don winter woolies for a week
Sudden severe gales struck on Friday surprisingly from the NE - peak gust was nealy 80 km/hr - that blew down a large tree near the place where I work: No Cookies | thetelegraph.com.au

Last edited by koyaanisqatsi1; 11-23-2013 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2013, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Buxton UK
4,970 posts, read 4,207,172 times
Reputation: 2383
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
Your winters have 9 months, they are too long.

Our last high below 8C was in August 27 here (your February).
8C highs in late May are not normal however. I find Nov-Mar feels wintery here because those months all have good chances of snow, and frequent frost. The rest of the year is like autumn, except May - July which has the long daylight hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2013, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Wellington and North of South
4,986 posts, read 6,259,173 times
Reputation: 2375
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
I had a great time - in fact despite originally staying a week, I extended my stay by another week as I just couldn't face coming back to Sydney's awful westerly sunny, dry and bushfire/smokey weather - in the northern half of the North Island except that the "famed showery and changeable weather" were notably absent in all but a few days and even by this not good enough .
All I saw were mostly sunny and dry weather (Auckland - Mangere - had 218 hours of sun and 33mm at the airport & Mangere 28mm) - not what I signed up for .
I would have been better off going to Wellywind as it had the best of nice weather - cloudy (175 hours) and wet (160mm)
Great coming back home to cool, stormy and wet weather .
Nice to see lawns and plants looking darkly green, alive and "laughing" instead of being horribly droopy, dead and brown/yellow.
Rapid decreases in horrible windy westerlies, sunny days and less smoky air and increases in cloudy and wet days (bushfires extinguished now ) has been so nice - much welcomed by locals including me .
A bloke at work - Kiwi from Palmy North - had the bloody gall to complain about the recent rains, immediately got ticked off by us "locals", we'd rather the rain than horrible smoky, evil and murderous westerly bushfires that destroyed over 200 homes in the Blue Mountains, one of those belonging to a good mate of mine. Only would a Kiwi moan about the rain, we don't care and the hell with them. Rain is far more important!!!
"Best of nice weather" in W'gton - twaddle. Tough luck you missed it - November has been much drier and sunnier and the chances of some rather dry months ahead are quite good. Too bad your Auckland may not meet your summer requirements in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2013, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Eastern Sydney, Australia
2,400 posts, read 2,615,605 times
Reputation: 1532
Quote:
Originally Posted by george960 View Post
Really starting to get sick of these stupid dry westerly winds. Dew point of -6.8C at 5pm. You'd think a strong El Nino event would be occurring right now with this exceptionally dry weather, but ENSO is currently in a neutral state. 68.4mm of rain here since the start of August, in November alone there should be more rainfall than that. If I don't see any more soon by the end of this month, then it will be the driest August-November period in nearly 100 years.
Totally agree. July to October, with the exception of September, were awful with yucky sunny and dry westerly weather which has thankfully decreased rapidly. Hopefully good rains will head your way soon. Looks like a major shift from westerly to easterly weather is on the cards for QLD due to highs positioning themselves from over NSW to south of Tassie.
Darwin is on track to having its wettest November on record with 242mm MTD. Wet here too as mentioned in the SH Spring thread.

Last edited by koyaanisqatsi1; 11-23-2013 at 05:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top