U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 11:56 AM

3,018 posts, read 2,516,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think almost all of Canada was under the ice including Vancouver. The only place in Canada as far as I know that escaped the ice sheet was Haida Gwaii.
The thought of huge glaciers calving icebergs into the Burrard Inlet and the Strait of Georgia is a scary thought. I bet the climate here would have been currently like the coast of Northern Greenland.
Most of the Yukon was ice-free during the ice age. Same goes for neighbouring Alaska. The rest of Canada was under ice (except for a few Islands like Haida Gwaii).
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 01:13 PM

64,991 posts, read 47,321,826 times
It's actually pretty darn fascinating when you look at the Glacial map of the Northeast and compare it to todays climate/weather patterns.

Lets use this past winter for example... The way the Long Island sound was Icing over, the way there were Mini Ice Bergs in the Rhode Island Sound, Nantucket Bay, Cape Cod Bay, ect. The way the snow cover was mostly north of Southern NJ.

It's as if the pattern of the climate we know today is following the way the Ice Sheet was.

Even how NWNJ is included in the Glacial area. I guess what I'm saying is, I can picture how it was during the Ice Age and who was getting the snow, arctic air, and Icy waters.

Seeing Long Island sound Ice over was not something I ever saw in my lifetime. That was pretty impressive and sure enough they are under the Glacial area as well.

http://standeyo.com/Reports/Ice_age/ice.age.mapl.lg.jpg

Old 07-12-2016, 06:33 PM

2,343 posts, read 1,030,152 times
It looks like PMIP3 is out. It shows that ice age conditions in much of the U.S. were colder and drier than previously modeled.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:32 PM

12,087 posts, read 9,602,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
It looks like PMIP3 is out. It shows that ice age conditions in much of the U.S. were colder and drier than previously modeled.

I think it clearly shows the climate fail of North America. Even in the Ice Age by far the coldest part of the planet right up there in eastern North America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or