Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 01:58 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Why wouldn't we warm up significantly in the east if the jet stream leveled out? When the jet stream is level in winter we have quite mild temps, highs in the 40's lows in the low 30's or upper 20's. Never the teens.
Temperatures in the teens are not a regular occurrence imo in Philadelphia looking at this:

Climate in Philadelphia, Philadelphia International Airport in December 2010 - Historical weather records
Climate in Philadelphia, Philadelphia International Airport in January 2008 - Historical weather records
Climate in Philadelphia, Philadelphia International Airport in January 1981 - Historical weather records
Climate in Philadelphia, Philadelphia International Airport in January 1985 - Historical weather records
Climate in Philadelphia, Philadelphia International Airport in January 1995 - Historical weather records
Climate in Philadelphia, Philadelphia International Airport in January 1988 - Historical weather records
Climate in Philadelphia, Philadelphia International Airport in January 1977 - Historical weather records

And actually you have quite alot of days in the 40's looking at those links that I have posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't be too bad. Jan averages of 44/29. I bet record lows and winter standard deviation would change though. Not as high deviation of temps from the averages, and record lows much higher. A more stable winter regime would take place.
With american climates i've learn't never to look at the average high ever.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Considering Asia is a much larger continent, you'd expect to have more severe winters on the east side. Northern Asia is different than North America that the coldest winter temperatures are far more to the eastern edge of the continent in Asia than in North America, where they're in the middle.
They do have more severe winters. There are places at 26n with average highs of 8c and okymogen or however you spell it has -60c highs.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
One thing I find really fascinating about the continental climates in Eastern North America vs. East Asia is the fact that even though latitude for latitude, the continental climates in Asia are colder (sometimes considerably so), the standard deviation from the norm in winter these climates isn't that great.
For example, Shanghai has an average high/low of 47/34F in January and a record low of 10F. Brunswick, GA has an average high/low 63/42 in January which is much warmer on average than Shanghai but has a colder record low at 5F.
It makes sense why Shanghai is colder on average than Brunswick due to the Siberian anticyclone but why does Brunswick have a colder record low? The Siberian anticyclone is much colder and stronger than the North American equivalent. Do the Rockies have something to do with this?
Well it's better the asian way. All this time I had thought that america was very cold in the winter, but actually it isn't. Places with 1c average highs don't really have 1c averages highs, they have a few days in the winter with -10c which skews the average to make it look like that, when in actual fact its 18c one day and 5c the next. I don't like places with big massive standard deviations because then you can't relay on the snow staying.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:42 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't we warm up significantly in the east if the jet stream leveled out? When the jet stream is level in winter we have quite mild temps, highs in the 40's lows in the low 30's or upper 20's. Never the teens.
If the Jet stream leveled out we would. Not sure about significantly (maybe the averages would) As you mentioned even in the winter when we get that zonal flow across the country we do not get cold. The question I think I'm hearing is, "are the mountains causing the Jet stream not to be flat all the time" which in turn is making it cold.. I think the answer is No. Much more in getting the Jet to buckle than just mountains.

I think the warm winter of 2011-12 we were fluctuating from a Ridge and zonal in the East. The Rocky mountains didn't move that winter.. The Polar Jet stream stayed north in Canada.

Here's a typical La Nina setup with 2 separate jets but the sub tropical jet is flat across the U.S

Here's the jet stream pattern for next week. The buckle is coming and that means cold air dropping down.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:04 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
But we do have locations in Siberia that are colder in winter (for their latitude) than equivalent locations in N. America. I think the maritime effect quickly disappears east of St. Petersburg.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
. The question I think I'm hearing is, "are the mountains causing the Jet stream not to be flat all the time" which in turn is making it cold.. I think the answer is No. Much more in getting the Jet to buckle than just mountains.

I think the warm winter of 2011-12 we were fluctuating from a Ridge and zonal in the East. The Rocky mountains didn't move that winter.. The Polar Jet stream stayed north in Canada.
Obviously there are other factors that affect jet stream position, and like all weather, there's some variability. But what I'm getting is the Rockies shift the average position of the jet stream to a somewhat NW direction instead of just due west.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:25 PM

287 posts, read 448,683 times
Siberia is colder than North America at any latitude. It is not a good idea to compare Moscow with a place like Minneapolis (which, however, is warmer year-round), given Moscow's proximity to the sea compared to the position of Minneapolis practically on the center of the continent.
However, without the Rockies North America would still be colder in winter than Western Europe, which is surrounded by water (and thus has overall milder/cooler summers). There are no places in Western Europe too far away from a sea; for example, Minsk is perceived to be far inland but its distance from the Baltic Sea is similar to Atlanta's distance from the Atlantic Ocean.
To me the presence of a cold continent right to the NNW instead of a warm ocean with a warm stream and its heavy influence on the climate can't be ignored. It's not only the absence of a "warm spring" to make Eastern US' climate colder in winter than Western Europe's, but also the presence of a "cold spring" that we DON'T have.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:50 PM

5,738 posts, read 3,513,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I agree with Mac15.

Prevailing winds blow west to east, that is the key.

Eastern areas of continent have a more "continental climate", even at of near the coast.
I think the premise of the article is that such conditions account for only part of the temperature difference but not all of it.

Quote:
As for North America being the "coldest" continent after Antarctica, I say no, Asia is.
Yes but for different reasons (which you or someone like you refer to elsewhere).

Quote:
Beijing has a colder January average low than even where I live in Canada
But it's a dry cold in Beijing.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:53 PM

5,738 posts, read 3,513,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
With american climates i've learn't never to look at the average high ever.
Leading inevitably to the conclusion that Phoenix and Minneapolis share the same climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather