U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 09:59 AM

9,670 posts, read 10,980,156 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about if humans one day were able to control the weather and climate of our planet, what kind of climates and range of climates would we want to create? I know most people focus on current climate as possibly ideal but as everyone knows, climate averages are only a snapshot in time and climate is always fluctuating. So, what kinds of climate/climates for cities around the world would be ideal if we could control what climate they had?

Any thoughts? Or examples?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 10:06 AM

2,637 posts, read 2,472,998 times
Artificial changing of climate will destroy most ecosystems on Earth...

Old 08-31-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fznamznon View Post
Artificial changing of climate will destroy most ecosystems on Earth...
I'm not saying drastic changes mostly cosmetic I think.. but more important maybe limit extreme events. I'm thinking maybe making climates not deviate from their averages much.

Old 08-31-2013, 12:45 PM

5,562 posts, read 6,055,168 times
Why would anyone want that? Extreme weather is part of what makes life worth living for a lot of people living in those climates, a classic case being a 20-inch snowstorm in northern Virginia. Besides, centralized weather control would politicize the weather - political parties for heat-lovers and cold-lovers would pop up in short order. Just the thought of it makes my stomach hurt.

As for the ideal climate for the Earth, how about the most common climate regime of the past few million years? Life got along just fine then and it was the cradle of human evolution. Any global climate regime that produced a species like us can't be that bad .

Source: User:Ittiz of Wikipedia, under a Creative Commons license

Old 08-31-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Why would anyone want that? Extreme weather is part of what makes life worth living for a lot of people living in those climates, a classic case being a 20-inch snowstorm in northern Virginia. Besides, centralized weather control would politicize the weather - political parties for heat-lovers and cold-lovers would pop up in short order. Just the thought of it makes my stomach hurt.

As for the ideal climate for the Earth, how about the most common climate regime of the past few million years? Life got along just fine then and it was the cradle of human evolution. Any global climate regime that produced a species like us can't be that bad .

Source: User:Ittiz of Wikipedia, under a Creative Commons license

Extreme weather events cost many human lives and billions of dollars around the world annually. Who is going to pay for that? If we could stabilize the weather so we have no more wildfires, hurricanes, tornadoes and predictable precipitation patterns which make it easier for things like agriculture. There will be no more droughts or floods. If controlling the climate means that, I'm all for it!

Old 08-31-2013, 01:39 PM

3,578 posts, read 2,813,112 times
probably a completly homogenus climate, with an average max of 20C and an avarage min of 12C. moderate, evenly distributed rainfall. then of course, you could have small touristy areas with other climatic conditions suited for the activities there.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:39 PM

22,198 posts, read 22,382,957 times
No. Absolutely no. If we can start controlling the weather, then all interest in the weather is lost and forums like this will wither away and die.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:05 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,247,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
No. Absolutely no. If we can start controlling the weather, then all interest in the weather is lost and forums like this will wither away and die.
I concur with dunno. Weather is interesting.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:38 PM

5,562 posts, read 6,055,168 times
I would like to point out that banishing all risk and challenge from human existence will set us on a path towards being Eloi instead of Homo Sapiens.

There are those who like and depend on weather other than 20/12C with moderate rainfall. The number and cost of all of the pain and suffering lawsuits that would crop up would be unimaginable, not to mention the infringement of property rights (i.e. government controlling what weather occurs on my property). There's also the matter of lawsuits involved if weather-related damage does occur, such as changing the path of a hurricane. Also, the industries that benefit from post-disaster reconstruction might claim legal damages as well. There is also the possibility that government could use weather control or the lack thereof as a weapon against dissidents and other political enemies.

I've given years of hard thought to the topic, and I've concluded that weather control on a massive scale would entail much the same consequences as opening up Pandora's Box. Deneb and others need to see the pitch-black storm cloud that lurks just beyond the immediate rose-covered vicinity.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:51 PM

Good points Patricius. It could become a very sticky political situation. However, that being said I think most people wouldn't like a Cat 5 Hurricane or an F5 Tornado barrelling down on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or