U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 08:15 PM

2,055 posts, read 2,634,734 times

Advertisements

Here's a thread I haven't seen before;
You might be a weather geek if.....

You might be a weather geek if you have memorized all the conversions from Celsius to Fahrenheit for all the temperature ranges on earth...to the first decimal point.

You might be a weather geek if you can remember the anniversary of major weather events (famous hurricanes and blizzards as well as all-time world weather records) but you can't remember your significant other's birthday or your wedding anniversary.

You might be a weather geek if you have a separate folder just for fictional climates you created (I'm guilty of this one).

You might be a weather geek if you......(post yours next).....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 08:18 PM

2,350 posts, read 4,262,729 times
You might be a weather geek if you question "Red Sky at morning sailor's warning, red sky at night, sailor's delight" as it seems backwards. Storms moving from the west would provide a red sky at night.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:28 PM

You might be a weather geek if you enjoy climate battles and rate the climate threads...

Old 09-05-2013, 11:20 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,250,841 times
You might be a weather geek if you like the climate of Winnipeg, and give an F to San Diego.

You might be a weather geek if you dislike a sunshine figure of 2000 hours or above.

You might be a weather geek if you say 0C isn't cold.

You might be a weather geek if you get excited about cold fronts.

I can say more but you get the idea...subarctic climate lovers are the weather geeks.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:50 PM

9,671 posts, read 10,985,112 times
You might be a weather geek if you made a list of every major city's hardiness zone and annual average temperature in a spreadsheet.. (something I did).

Old 09-05-2013, 11:56 PM

You might be a weather geek if you are hoping onto a flight to Florida in a few days during the peak of hurricane season....actually wanting a hurricane at the end of the trip.....so you can experience what is is like......(that's me; but I'm not that much of a weather geek that I'd want the weather to ruin the whole trip- a few days at Disney, a few days at the beach, one at the swamps, one at Universal, and then a hurricane for the grand finale after I've done all the sightseeing (only cat 1 though and I want to be safely inland- I'm not that brave).

Old 09-06-2013, 05:51 AM

24,268 posts, read 17,525,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Here's a thread I haven't seen before;
You might be a weather geek if.....

You might be a weather geek if you have memorized all the conversions from Celsius to Fahrenheit for all the temperature ranges on earth...to the first decimal point.

You might be a weather geek if you can remember the anniversary of major weather events (famous hurricanes and blizzards as well as all-time world weather records) but you can't remember your significant other's birthday or your wedding anniversary.

You might be a weather geek if you have a separate folder just for fictional climates you created (I'm guilty of this one).

You might be a weather geek if you......(post yours next).....
The only one for me is that I have a separate folder for all climate data, including fictional climates. Not that good at the fahrenheit scale and can't remember blizzards etc.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:04 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,083,574 times
You might be a weather geek if you have calculated your city's snowfall averages since 1991 so you can find out what your 1991-2020 snowfall average is so far.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:05 AM

4,970 posts, read 4,210,455 times
Yes to all of those, I have a pretty photographic memory of weather events, I can also recall my first vivid weather memory (when I was 3), creating hypothetical climates etc..

I prefer to call my fake climates "hypothetical" rather than "fictional" because they are based upon placing an island onto the already existing earth and working out mathematically what the various climates would be like, rather than making up fake numbers from thin air which is unrealistic. Ideally, it would be nice to have a global climate/weather simulator of the earth, onto which I could insert the continent, and see what numbers it comes up with.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:07 AM

4,970 posts, read 4,210,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Yeung View Post

I can say more but you get the idea...subarctic climate lovers are the weather geeks.
I don't think so.... I'm about as "weather geek" as it gets and I prefer subtropical climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or