Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2016, 07:31 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,381,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Where does the Polar Vortex want to be during a Cold PDO?

Go to 6:00 into the video

In fact Levi does well with entire video. Interesting stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEZQNuIsAF0
Makes sense, wonder how that persistent California Ridge he mentions played into the future with the drought and the RRR that dominated the scene 2
winters later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 07:37 AM

83,334 posts, read 74,672,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Makes sense, wonder how that persistent California Ridge he mentions played into the future with the drought and the RRR that dominated the scene 2
winters later.
That persistent ridge is what gave them the drought. Not only was Everything was being blocked (storms & moisture) from moving in but it provided extra heat and record hot temps which just added insult to injury.

+PDO = Drought Patterns for CA? Wish we had 500yr records of Pacific temps. That would be interesting to see if the big CA droughts of the far past was when the Pacific was warm.

Up until a few yrs ago I never knew that we only break record warm temps when we are under a ridge. That's when I started following the 500mb pattern more.

Trough = Cool/Seasonable
Zonal = Seasonable/Very Warm
Ridge = Very Warm/Hot

Old 07-04-2016, 04:46 PM

29,414 posts, read 19,499,868 times
Damn!

https://twitter.com/WeatherInTheHud/...98776571469824

Old 07-04-2016, 04:49 PM

And the AMO?

https://twitter.com/WeatherInTheHud/...96782658142213

Old 07-05-2016, 09:15 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,381,984 times
Apparently the recent increase in Antarctic sea ice is due to a teleconnection we rarely hear about, the IPO ( Interdecadal Pacific oscillation) . Interestingly the IPO flipped positive in 2014, same time the PDO did. Antarctic sea ice is supposed to begin falling again because the IPO is in a positive phase now. How does the IPO play in with the PDO? I wonder how much it helped with the Super El Niño, record warm PDO, and just the all around boiling pacific. If it played a major role then we could be in for a very warm couple of decades in the pacific as the IPO is in its positive phase. Interestingly the IPO was very negative from 1940-1980, a period of very cold global temps. As we know, nature likes to balance itself so after a 40 year cold period, a brief 20 year warm period ensued and then a brief 15 year cold period followed on tis heals from 1999-2014, a period of time when global temps slowed down there rise after the quick rise in the 20 year warm period from 1980-1998! Very cool. We also had 2 super el nino during 1980-1998 during the positive IPO and one super el nino this year a couple years after it flipped positive. Now after it has flipped positive again we have gotten a string of record warm years.

The PDO follows the IPO, you want a negative PDO ask for a negative IPO. Then another question arises, does the PDO follow the IPO or the IPO follow the PDO?

This link talks about the PDO, IPO, and ENSO and there correlation. The IPO is basically a positive PDO but over the entire Pacific Ocean.
https://bobtisdale.wordpress.com/200...-pdo-and-enso/

Last edited by muslim12; 07-05-2016 at 09:30 AM..

Old 07-05-2016, 11:37 AM

83,334 posts, read 74,672,419 times
Good reading. Thanks!

Old 07-06-2016, 12:09 PM

Tom has gone on and on about how a warm PDO will kill my summers in the Midwest. Obviously that's not happening this summer. Now check out what Bastardi stated in his daily summary
Weatherbell Analytics

He talks about the "ring of cool" during the 97-98 -PDO and the difference with this year....

3 minutes in to the video, he clearly states a cold PDO tries to put cooler air over the Great Lakes during the heart of the summer season, and with warm PDO's cooler air is further back in the Plains and Rockies

Old 07-06-2016, 12:47 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,864,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Tom has gone on and on about how a warm PDO will kill my summers in the Midwest. Obviously that's not happening this summer. Now check out what Bastardi stated in his daily summary
Weatherbell Analytics

He talks about the "ring of cool" during the 97-98 -PDO and the difference with this year....

3 minutes in to the video, he clearly states a cold PDO tries to put cooler air over the Great Lakes during the heart of the summer season, and with warm PDO's cooler air is further back in the Plains and Rockies
Well Chicago was above average in both July and August of 1998. Certainly didn't make the Chicago below avg that year.

I thought the warm PDO was being killed off by this La Niña? Didn't you post that the other day about the warm PDO being demolished?

Know why Bastardi wants the warm PDO to remain? Take a guess.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Well Chicago was above average in both July and August of 1998.
Yes barely though

Quote:
Certainly didn't make the Chicago below avg that year.
Other teleconnections may be bigger factors, such as the transition to La Nina and maybe the AMO

Quote:
I thought the warm PDO was being killed off by this La Niña? Didn't you post that the other day about the warm PDO being demolished?
That's what one guy tweeted. Don't know what the June values will be, but I'm sure they are still positive. I mean they were record positive in both April and May.

Quote:
Know why Bastardi wants the warm PDO to remain? Take a guess.
How do you know he wants that to happen? Because you think it's going to bring a cold winter to the East Coast? wouldn't he want the PDO to flip cold to drop global temps?

Old 07-06-2016, 01:36 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,864,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Yes barely though

Other teleconnections may be bigger factors, such as the transition to La Nina and maybe the AMO

That's what one guy tweeted. Don't know what the June values will be, but I'm sure they are still positive. I mean they were record positive in both April and May.

How do you know he wants that to happen? Because you think it's going to bring a cold winter to the East Coast? wouldn't he want the PDO to flip cold to drop global temps?
I know a warm PDO brings cold to the east. And Bastardi just ignores the rest of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather