U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-08-2013, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
35 posts, read 71,219 times
Reputation: 59

Advertisements

This forum is really cool because there are alot of like-minded people who are really interested in comparing climates for different locations. I like to map things I'm interested in so I created this pair of maps showing North America and Asia and their respective average temperatures for January. It's interesting seeing how insanely cold Siberia and East Asia really gets. No idea how people survive those winters.



Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2013, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Finland
24,268 posts, read 17,503,817 times
Reputation: 11103
I don't want to sound rude, but humans have beaten diseases, famine, 2 world wars and so on. Walked across continents, sailed across the oceans in small ships and survived in jungles and on isolated islands. Whatever nature has threwn at humans, we've always have survived. I don't think surviving -20C winters is that tough.

Those extremely cold places are almost uninhabited, as seen on this map:


The biggest cities in Siberia, like Irkutsk, Krasnoyarsk and Novosibirsk have winters comparable to Winnipeg or Saskatoon. No biggie.
Even in Omyakon people just cope with the cold.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 12:11 PM
 
3,578 posts, read 2,812,281 times
Reputation: 1616
cool stuff. the colouration feels a bit illogical, though.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Germany
505 posts, read 550,365 times
Reputation: 165
very good, detailed maps. thanks for sharing them.

@Ariete: well, they are indeed pretty much uninhabted, but nontheless there are still big cities like Yakutsk situated in that extremely cold area.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 01:39 PM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 18,574,147 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I don't want to sound rude, but humans have beaten diseases, famine, 2 world wars and so on. Walked across continents, sailed across the oceans in small ships and survived in jungles and on isolated islands. Whatever nature has threwn at humans, we've always have survived. I don't think surviving -20C winters is that tough.

Those extremely cold places are almost uninhabited, as seen on this map:


The biggest cities in Siberia, like Irkutsk, Krasnoyarsk and Novosibirsk have winters comparable to Winnipeg or Saskatoon. No biggie.
Even in Omyakon people just cope with the cold.
Siberia is far colder than winnipeg though.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 01:40 PM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 18,574,147 times
Reputation: 3107
In your face americans. You aren't good at everything weather related. Eh Chicagogeorge?

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 01:41 PM
 
Location: North West Northern Ireland.
20,695 posts, read 18,574,147 times
Reputation: 3107
Quote:
Originally Posted by das8929 View Post
This forum is really cool because there are alot of like-minded people who are really interested in comparing climates for different locations. I like to map things I'm interested in so I created this pair of maps showing North America and Asia and their respective average temperatures for January. It's interesting seeing how insanely cold Siberia and East Asia really gets. No idea how people survive those winters.


That's very impressive what are some areas in the white area? Do they have -60c highs?

I personally could not cope with that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 04:51 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
45,737 posts, read 39,610,543 times
Reputation: 14671
where is the data coming from for the white areas. Looks like the coldest spot in Siberia has a mean of -52°F:

Oymyakon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

where's the colder spots from?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Finland
24,268 posts, read 17,503,817 times
Reputation: 11103
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
where is the data coming from for the white areas. Looks like the coldest spot in Siberia has a mean of -52°F:

Oymyakon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

where's the colder spots from?
Don't know. It's the Verkhoyansk Ridge with mountains and overall higher elevation. I don't think there's any permanent settlements (or weather stations) between Yakutsk and Tiksi.

Look at this relief map. There's not even a road between Yakutsk and Tiksi, but only traversable in summer with boat along the Lena river or by air. The road between Yakutsk and Magadan is apparently not even paved. So this area is really really desolate.

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2013, 06:31 PM
 
3,159 posts, read 3,341,074 times
Reputation: 5133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Siberia is far colder than winnipeg though.
Siberia is a huge region. Some parts are colder (which, as has been mentioned, are very sparsely populated). Some parts are comparable or even warmer.

Another thing is that for the same latitude, places in Siberia well away from the Arctic and Pacific coasts have warmer summers (a little shorter though) than in North America.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top