U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: London vs Chicago
London 33 41.77%
Chicago 46 58.23%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 12:14 PM

21,894 posts, read 11,560,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You talking about highest ever avg monthly temp? Probably a summer month in the low 80's range.
Yes. I found the answer. It was July 2011 for Philly.

Quote:
Still doesn't change the fact your winters are much colder than ours as I have pointed out.
That's obvious. We are vastly more continental then Philly, and slightly more northerly as well. What wasn't obvious to me (which is why I asked) was the fact that even though Philly has a slightly higher average maximum temperature then Chicago during the summer, it turns out that Chicago has recorded a higher absolute maximum temperature, and a higher average monthly record monthly temperature.

Quote:
The winter of 77 is legend around here, and the fact that that is not out of the ordinary for Chicago tells me all I need to know about your winter.
If you are not a cold weather fan, then Chicago winters are probably too harsh for you. Though someone from Bismarck or Minneapolis would chuckle at our "harsh winters".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 12:22 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,740 posts, read 39,610,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
That's obvious. We are vastly more continental then Philly, and slightly more northerly as well. What wasn't obvious to me (which is why I asked) was the fact that even though Philly has a slightly higher average maximum temperature then Chicago during the summer, it turns out that Chicago has recorded a higher absolute maximum temperature, and a higher average monthly record monthly temperature.
Not too surprising, since Philly is less continental. In contrast, North Dakota has recorded 121°F despite cooler maxes than Philly.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:27 PM

12,087 posts, read 9,599,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Not too surprising, since Philly is less continental. In contrast, North Dakota has recorded 121°F despite cooler maxes than Philly.

Yeah, our record highs are not that impressive compared to the Midwest. Our local meteorologists explain this usually when we get a heat wave. We are 55 miles from the Atlantic. It prevents the summer temp records from getting Midwest type hot. Despite the fact that hot summer winds from the SW, somehow the ocean has an influence just sitting next to that giant cool mass of water does it.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:04 PM

227 posts, read 171,487 times
Chicago. Much more sunshine and better seasonal variety.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:54 PM

^^

Chicago is also tempered by a large cool body of water which is why we are not nearly as continental as the Plains.

Quote:
Are you sure all of North Dakota has lower average maximum temps than Philly in the summer? I thought there were a few stations with average highs in the upper 80's in July. I'll diuble check.

I know South Dakota has many stations with higher temperature, at least in July.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:01 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,740 posts, read 39,610,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Are you sure all of North Dakota has lower average maximum temps than Philly in the summer? I thought there were a few stations with average highs in the upper 80's in July. I'll diuble check.

I know South Dakota has many stations with higher temperature, at least in July.
this is the station that recorded 121°F:

STEELE, NORTH DAKOTA - Climate Summary

Old 09-13-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
this is the station that recorded 121°F:

STEELE, NORTH DAKOTA - Climate Summary
Outrageously hot!

The warmest average maximum temp I could find in North Dakota is indeed a couple of degrees cooler than Philly in July.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Warmest station in South Dakota however is a significantly hotter though.... FYI, Usta South Dakota hit 120F in July 2006

Back to Chicago, our lake certainly does create micro climates as the article above indicates. Here is an example from July 2012. Within a 25 miles distance from Soldier Field to Itasca.

More on some metro area climate averages......

Coldest average minimum temperature that I could find around the Chicago area is in "ritzy" northwest suburban Barrington. I presume oceanic or warm winter weather lovers would find this a bit too frosty?

Warmest July maximum in the Chicago area would be found in the Fox Valley suburbs (2-3F warmer than O'Hare and Midway).... Wheaton I believe has one of the highest (and similar to Philly which is 87.1F).

Old 09-13-2013, 06:02 PM

11,482 posts, read 5,902,346 times
London. Chicago has horrid freezing cold winters, no thanks...

Old 09-15-2013, 08:02 AM
B87 B87 started this thread

10,824 posts, read 6,904,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Seems London loses every climate battle.
London has only won 3 climate battles as far as I'm aware; a narrow win against Warsaw, a win against Bogota and a thrashing of La Paz. I think people must just see the name and vote for the other city, without actually looking at the averages.

It's a pretty neutral climate, so you'd expect it to win and lose roughly the same amount.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:29 AM

778 posts, read 839,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
London has only won 3 climate battles as far as I'm aware; a narrow win against Warsaw, a win against Bogota and a thrashing of La Paz. I think people must just see the name and vote for the other city, without actually looking at the averages.

It's a pretty neutral climate, so you'd expect it to win and lose roughly the same amount.
London has been involved in just about every climate battle imaginable, so the notion that people are just voting without being aware of London's stats is hardly credible.

The real reason why London's always loses out is probably because:

1) Most members here are North Americans who:

a) like climates with hot summers - for the vast majority of Americans, and even Canadians, average summer highs in the low to mid-20s Celsius is NOT "hot."

b) AND/OR climates with cold and snowy winters - and London's winters typically are NOT.

2) These members far outnumber those who favour more oceanic climates (and if they do, they don't vote for London)

3) London is always being pitted against N.American climates, in a forum dominated by N.Americans, many of whom have the above-mentioned climatic preferences. So no one should be too surprised if London always seems to lose these silly battles. Try London vs the Faroe Islands if you want a better result!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather