U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: London vs Chicago
London 33 41.77%
Chicago 46 58.23%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 05:27 AM

21,912 posts, read 11,581,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
London's springs are far more stable than Chicago's.
I agree... Even in May temperature swings can be dramatic. This was 2012

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

However by that point in spring, we have entered a warm regime, so May is nowhere near as unstable as March or April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 05:38 AM
B87 B87 started this thread

10,824 posts, read 6,914,240 times
May 2005 and 2010 were extreme as far as London goes.

Climate in Londres / Heathrow Airport in May 2005 - Historical weather records
Climate in Londres / Heathrow Airport in May 2010 - Historical weather records

May 2012 started off very cold and was on it's way to being the coldest on record, until the last 10 days brought the temps up to average.

Climate in Londres / Heathrow Airport in May 2012 - Historical weather records

Old 09-16-2013, 08:16 AM

7,169 posts, read 6,022,802 times
Quote:
London has only won 3 climate battles as far as I'm aware; a narrow win against Warsaw, a win against Bogota and a thrashing of La Paz. I think people must just see the name and vote for the other city, without actually looking at the averages.

It's a pretty neutral climate, so you'd expect it to win and lose roughly the same amount.
It always amazes me why 'the world' seems to think that the weather in London is awful! Its a stereotype, and like all stereotype's its difficult to shake off! In reality the weather in London is really rather nice, I'm not saying its the best, far from it, but it does make me laugh when people claim places like Warsaw, Moscow, Helsinki or Toronto (among others) have better weather!! There is even a comment on here from somebody in Paris 'dissing' the weather in London!! lol. The reality is that the weather in London is really rather gentle, not really hot, not really cold, droughts are rare, floods are rare, no damaging hurricanes or tornadoes, no monsoon rain, London may not get as much sunshine as many places but its not as if you don't get sunny days but what really amazes me is when people say they prefer Warsaw or Moscow or Chicago because London winters are too warm!!! I mean come on! these cities freeze, proper freeze, uncomfortable killer freeze! To anybody over the age of 12 snow and ice is nothing but an uncomfortable pain in the rear end, give me a 'mild' grey day over shovelling 6 foot of snow off of the road just to get at my car anyday!! I think London gets voted against just because its 'London' half of the time, of course London weather is not the greatest weather either! I think perhaps the extreme south of Europe, parts of south Australia or southern California may have the best weather?

Old 09-16-2013, 08:21 AM

22,198 posts, read 22,395,358 times
London's weather is good from a human survival point of view, but on a forum like this (weather, if you haven't noticed), there will be more people looking for more extremes, whether it be hot, cold, lots of snow, lots of rain, or a combination of all four. London's weather is too cool to please warm lovers, and too mild to please cold lovers. It's just too 'boring'. Too mundane. Too cloudy. Not wet enough. Too middle-ground. There are also a lot of warm lovers on here who will prefer a cold, sunny day with snow in Chicago over a cloudy, damp and mild day in London, which can look really bleak and grim with all the bare trees.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:26 AM

5,816 posts, read 9,782,622 times
I lived 90% of my life in oceanic climates, that I came to loathe with a passion.
So despite being a warm (not hot, mind!) weather lover, it's Chicago in a heartbeat.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:30 AM

7,169 posts, read 6,022,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
London's weather is good from a human survival point of view, but on a forum like this (weather, if you haven't noticed), there will be more people looking for more extremes, whether it be hot, cold, lots of snow, lots of rain, or a combination of all four. London's weather is too cool to please warm lovers, and too mild to please cold lovers. It's just too 'boring'. Too mundane. Too cloudy. Not wet enough. Too middle-ground. There are also a lot of warm lovers on here who will prefer a cold, sunny day with snow in Chicago over a cloudy, damp and mild day in London, which can look really bleak and grim with all the bare trees.
For the life of me though I cant understand how anybody could prefer the sub zero temperatures of cities like Moscow!! As far as I can tell there is no positive in a minus 20 degree temperature whatsoever :-)

Old 09-16-2013, 08:37 AM

And to me, I don't understand why people like mild, cloudy and drizzly weather. It's so uneventful and uninteresting.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:39 AM
B87 B87 started this thread

10,824 posts, read 6,914,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
And to me, I don't understand why people like mild, cloudy and drizzly weather. It's so uneventful and uninteresting.
It is comfortable, compared to frozen temperatures and dry air.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:41 AM

Well I guess we all have different priorities. I value interesting weather over comfortable weather, which is why I would pick Chicago over San Francisco in a heartbeat, or Lincoln, Nebraska over Lincoln, England. And most of the time, interesting weather, to me, is comfortable. I don't feel unpleasantly cold in snow or subzero temperatures. I don't even need gloves.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:48 AM

24,268 posts, read 17,531,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
For the life of me though I cant understand how anybody could prefer the sub zero temperatures of cities like Moscow!! As far as I can tell there is no positive in a minus 20 degree temperature whatsoever :-)
I can't understand how anyone could prefer a wet windy rainy quagmire instead of a nice clear dry -3C. We go below -20C a couple of nights a year, and most of us are asleep when those occur.

Quote:
It is comfortable, compared to frozen temperatures and dry air.
Dry frozen air is a rarity here, as the average humidity in winter is 90%. A calm -3C is much more comfortable than a breezy and above all, wet, 5C.

In any case, a wintery landscape is aesthetically much more appealing than five months of neverending death and gloom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather