U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate
A 2 4.26%
B 11 23.40%
C 15 31.91%
D 11 23.40%
E 4 8.51%
F 4 8.51%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 01:47 PM

22,198 posts, read 22,395,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Why don't you quote me word for word.

If you are referring to that image, BIG DEAL. UK summers are horrible IMO.

Maybe next time I should say, I want to tell how I truly feel about Portsmouth summers but I won't so that I don't upset the feelings of some people

What else am I to think of a summer where the average high is closer to my average lows, where in Portsmouth, a good majority of the day temperatures would be spent in the 60's since the average high is only 71F. You might like it and that's fine by me. I don't and apparently that isn't fine by you.
How about 'summers are cooler than I'd like, I don't rate them at all, I'd prefer much hotter temperatures' or 'summer in Portsmouth is similar to spring in Chicago, and it isn't my idea of summer'? Everything you say seems to provoke people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 01:48 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 4043 N
3,021 posts, read 2,403,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
I would like to know what causes minor number of rainy days in July, in spite of driest month occurs in May.
Is it due to Azores High tendency to move north during summer?
Does anyone answer this question I posted yesterday?

12,095 posts, read 9,612,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
What locations are you comparing? The North East is certainly colder than here.

He is mixing means and avg highs. The NE will be much colder. There is no where in the NE US that has avg Jan high temps of 46F. DC might come close, but the winter lows are much colder than England.

870 posts, read 757,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
So 18c is horrid is it?

Naw...

You americans seem to think us British/Irish are thickos and we couldn't cope with any type of extreme weather despite the fact that we do get snow regularly and intervals of -10c are not that uncommon with places reaching 30c at least every few years.
We don't get regular snow in any part of the UK that I've ever heard of. Even the ski resorts of the Scottish Highlands struggle to open for a few weeks out of the whole winter.

People who have lived in the UK all their life are not accustomed to extreme weather, that's simply the truth. Nobody here in Scotland ever says that the weather is "warm", if there's any discernable warmth on their skin, they always say that it's "hot" or "boiling". For most people in the world, average highs of 18C doesn't amount to much of a summer. 18C is too cold for an indoor temperature, but if out in the summer and the sun is shining, it's generally quite comfortable.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:49 PM

20,695 posts, read 18,593,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I'm not trying to pick a fight with you, but how on earth would you know? You haven't spent a single winter here or even a few weeks in winter. It will feel and be colder than anything you have ever experienced in England.
We just look at the data darlin and last december philadelphia airport had an average high of 10.7c which is buckets warmer than the UK.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
He is mixing means and avg highs. The NE will be much colder. There is no where in the NE US that has avg Jan high temps of 46F. DC might come close, but the winter lows are much colder than England.
Averages don't paint a true picture in america as tutempio shows.

If you are trying to say that it is colder than 8c there all the time you are wrong because I just showed data with some years being 9c.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micC View Post
We don't get regular snow in any part of the UK that I've ever heard of. Even the ski resorts of the Scottish Highlands struggle to open for a few weeks out of the whole winter.

People who have lived in the UK all their life are not accustomed to extreme weather, that's simply the truth. Nobody here in Scotland ever says that the weather is "warm", if there's any discernable warmth on their skin, they always say that it's "hot" or "boiling". For most people in the world, average highs of 18C doesn't amount to much of a summer. 18C is too cold for an indoor temperature, but if out in the summer and the sun is shining, it's generally quite comfortable.
If they struggly to stay open how come the avg high in ben nevis is -2c in january and it is below freezing for over 5 months?

And we do get snow regularly. It comes every single year.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:55 PM

21,913 posts, read 11,581,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
'? Everything you say seems to provoke people.
Apparently only people from Northern Europe. They need to get over it. I have the same opinion of the PNW. I don't see people from Seattle putting on their battle armor to defend the dignity of their climate. Like I said, Chicago has one of the worst weather reputations in the US for a whole variety of reasons. I can deal with the criticism....

Old 09-14-2013, 01:57 PM

No you are arrogant.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:59 PM

22,198 posts, read 22,395,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Apparently only people from Northern Europe. They need to get over it. I have the same opinion of the PNW. I don't see people from Seattle putting on their battle armor to defend the dignity of their climate. Like I said, Chicago has one of the worst weather reputations in the US for a whole variety of reasons. I can deal with the criticism....
I don't see many people on here from Seattle, bar one person, so that explains it.

Perhaps you should just give criticism in a less provocative manner. No need for the snide remarks or jibes like a child. People on here always say that summers in the UK are too cool for them, but you manage to do it in a way that annoys people. I think you're fully aware of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or