Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2019, 07:06 PM

99 posts, read 71,596 times

Advertisements

Which cities have the highest ratio of nighttime to daytime rainfall? Are there places where 80% or more of the total rainfall falls at night?

I'm imagining a place that is sunny and dry during the day, allowing for outdoor activities, but with frequent rain at night that keeps vegetation lush and the air nice and fresh. That would be a lovely climate to live in.

I thought of the Catatumbo region, but it seems that there are plenty of thunderstorms during the day as well. The Wikipedia page for Lhasa (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lhasa#Climate) also mentions anecdotally that most rain falls at night.

The real issue is that I can't find much hard numbers to answer this question. The closest I got is this Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_...#South_America). It mentions 68% of rainfall in Tutunendo, Colombia falls at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 07:49 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,918,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micahdebrink View Post
Which cities have the highest ratio of nighttime to daytime rainfall? Are there places where 80% or more of the total rainfall falls at night?

I'm imagining a place that is sunny and dry during the day, allowing for outdoor activities, but with frequent rain at night that keeps vegetation lush and the air nice and fresh. That would be a lovely climate to live in.

I thought of the Catatumbo region, but it seems that there are plenty of thunderstorms during the day as well. The Wikipedia page for Lhasa (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lhasa#Climate) also mentions anecdotally that most rain falls at night.

The real issue is that I can't find much hard numbers to answer this question. The closest I got is this Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_...#South_America). It mentions 68% of rainfall in Tutunendo, Colombia falls at night.

Southeast Florida has nothing but convective rainfall in summer, and it is due to the sea breeze. The typical summer pattern is as follows:

This is from the National Weather Service Miami office forecasters discussion on the website today and pretty much every day this summer I have read it. Overall I'm so happy I bought my house there and love the summer climate and incredibly warm ocean waters.

https://forecast.weather.gov/product...n=1&glossary=0

"Overall, looks like a stretch of fairly typical summer weather for South Florida with the late morning and early afternoon development of the Gulf and Atlantic seabreezes driving scattered showers and storms each day. As we often see in this flow pattern, generally expect higher late night and morning storm coverage across the Atlantic and east coast, then shifting the best coverage of showers and storms across the western interior and Gulf coast during the afternoons and evenings. Daytime highs in the low to mid 90s, and muggy overnight lows in the 70s and low 80s."

So while you don't get this all year long, in the summer the east coast cities like Fort Lauderdale have night or morning showers then sunnier afternoons.
Everything looks pretty lush around here even with the intense sun angle.

Also saw this guy in my yard a couple weeks ago:

Old 07-30-2019, 02:19 PM

10,544 posts, read 7,731,511 times
Windward Hawaii locations have way more rainfall during period 7 PM-7AM than during day. Don't have any specific data to back this up though.

Old 07-30-2019, 02:35 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,211,304 times
The DFW metroplex sees overall more rain overnight than during the day..........

Old 07-30-2019, 04:49 PM

83,498 posts, read 75,223,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by micahdebrink View Post

I'm imagining a place that is sunny and dry during the day, allowing for outdoor activities, but with frequent rain at night that keeps vegetation lush and the air nice and fresh. That would be a lovely climate to live in..

That would be my preferred climate as well except in summer I prefer more clouds during the day.
Typically at night it cools off therefore nighttime rain chances from convection gets reduced. And if its hot enough at night for it, then it is during the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Southeast Florida has nothing but convective rainfall in summer, and it is due to the sea breeze. The typical summer pattern is as follows:

This is from the National Weather Service Miami office forecasters discussion on the website today and pretty much every day this summer I have read it. Overall I'm so happy I bought my house there and love the summer climate and incredibly warm ocean waters.
You bought a house in Florida after you said you hate heat in May and June and that places south of us is "bad" and that you hate sleeping in AC? Your spot must get Southeast winds a lot for you to buy there. Good luck with the place. FYI.. Love seeing discussions posted from other areas.

Quote:
I want gradual warming and cooling in spring and fall. I hate plunges into cold fast or summer like heat in May and early June. ugh!!!!!!
Quote:
Good. Too hot too soon and I don't like sleeping with AC on. I like open windows with a breeze and ceiling fan. Plus that trough will get rid of these SW winds which I hate.
Quote:
I am here too, and avg high temps in the mid to upper 80'sF isnot nearly as bad as places to the south of us or in the lower midwest say St. Louis or Kansas City. I was in KC last summer and it was close to 100F with much higher humidity than we would get here with 100F.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
That would be my preferred climate as well except in summer I prefer more clouds during the day.
Typically at night it cools off therefore nighttime rain chances from convection gets reduced. And if its hot enough at night for it, then it is during the day.

You bought a house in Florida after you said you hate heat in May and June and that places south of us is "bad" and that you hate sleeping in AC? Your spot must get Southeast winds a lot for you to buy there. Good luck with the place. FYI.. Love seeing discussions posted from other areas.

Sea breeze all the time and temps are not as hot as Philly in this last recent heat wave, but the house is mostly for the cooler seasons. Plus I love thunderstorms and they get a lot in summer down there. I don't plan on spending a lot of time down there in summer. I have to now because I'm having work done. But I have noticed the constant easterly sea breeze keeps temps from getting into the 90's where I am 3 miles from the ocean.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Also, I think you would love southeast Florida's winter climate. low humidity very sunny with temps in the mid 70's during the day and low 60's at night. Very comfortable.

Old 08-09-2019, 09:21 AM

2,850 posts, read 1,968,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
The DFW metroplex sees overall more rain overnight than during the day..........
Same for the OKC area. I think I heard that Plains convection often happens at night for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather