Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 10:46 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,887,266 times

Advertisements

At what temperature are you equally comfortable wearing short sleeves in both direct sun and under the shade for reasonable periods of time? We all seek sun if we're feeling cold and seek shade when we're feeling hot. What temperature range is that sweet spot where you can hang out in both situations in short sleeves? Let's say at a company picnic, BBQ, outdoor concert, or ceremony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 10:50 PM

For me, that range is 68 F to 74 F as I think it is for most people but I want to hear from the hardcore heat lovers and cold lovers. 60-68 F, I can wear short sleeves in the direct sun and anything above 75 F, I actively seek shade unless I'm in the pool or have just gotten out of one.

Last edited by AdriannaSmiling; 08-05-2013 at 11:02 PM..

Old 08-05-2013, 10:50 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,321 times
That is a loaded question for people like me living in continental climates. I find that my body adapts. What feels cold/warm to me in the spring does not feel the same to me in fall.

For example, when my body is at its peak of cold acclimation (February):
I would be comfortable in sun at 0 C
In shade at 10 C
(Assuming there is no wind in either case)

In July/August, when my body is heat-acclimated:

Comfortable in sun at 15 C
In shade at 22 C

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your question. Well, my respective answers for winter and summer would be around 5 C and 18 C, to be reasonably comfy in both sun and shade.
To make things even more complicated, add 5 degrees if I'm sleepy or tired. Subtract 5 degrees if I've been working out.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
That is a loaded question for people like me living in continental climates. I find that my body adapts. What feels cold/warm to me in the spring does not feel the same to me in fall.

For example, when my body is at its peak of cold acclimation (February):
I would be comfortable in sun at 0 C
In shade at 10 C
(Assuming there is no wind in either case)

In July/August, when my body is heat-acclimated:

Comfortable in sun at 15 C
In shade at 22 C

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your question. Well, my respective answers for winter and summer would be around 5 C and 18 C, to be reasonably comfy in both sun and shade.
0C-10 C (yes, I know that's 32-50F) in SHORT SLEEVES? That would be comfortable for me to spend the day outside at an outdoor event but I'd want to be wearing a jacket and would probably keep my hands in the pockets in that lower range unless I also had gloves.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:54 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
At what temperature are you equally comfortable wearing short sleeves in both direct sun and under the shade for reasonable periods of time? We all seek sun if we're feeling cold and seek shade when we're feeling hot. What temperature range is that sweet spot where you can hang out in both situations in short sleeves? Let's say at a company picnic, BBQ, outdoor concert, or ceremony.

Currently it is right around 65 degrees that I am fine wearing short sleeves, it used to be about 90 degrees when I was comfortable wearing short sleeves then menopause hit........LOL

Old 08-05-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
0C-10 C (yes, I know that's 32-50F) in SHORT SLEEVES? That would be comfortable for me to spend the day outside at an outdoor event but I'd want to be wearing a jacket and would probably keep my hands in the pockets in that lower range unless I also had gloves.
After you go through a Saskatchewan winter, you too will find 32 F balmy, or even warm Trust me.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:57 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
For me that temperature is about 75F year round.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
After you go through a Saskatchewan winter, you too will find 32 F balmy, or even warm Trust me.

That's like the coldest night of the year for us and the day warms up to like 50F/10C after that morning frost melts around 10AM. The coldest I've felt was 15 F or -10 C (both in Lake Tahoe and NYC in winter) and I was outside for the entire day but wearing four layers, gloves, and boots. Quite comfortable when dressed warm but I can't imagine wearing a t-shirt at that temperature. I'd like to experience a bitter cold of -40 just once to see what it feels like, though.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:03 PM

The only saving grace here is that it's a dry cold, so your clothes don't get all damp and clammy. Also, in late winter and early spring, the sun reflects off of the snow and makes it feel warmer than it is, even in shade.
I once visited Victoria, BC in early winter. The temperature out there was 50 F. We signed up for a whalewatching trip lasting four hours, and the tour guide was very insistent I wear three layers of clothing, toque, mittens and rainjacket, because it was windy and cold out on the ocean. I said I'd be fine with just one layer plus the rainjacket. He thought I was just being a braggart, but I actually was very comfortable the whole time. If I did that at this time of year, I'd be shivering.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:16 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,666,364 times
25/26c
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather