Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2016, 06:46 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,680,308 times

Advertisements

The Climate of Munich for the last 10 years
The Order is: Mean Temperature, Average High Temperature, Average Low Temperature, Record High for the 10 last years, Record Low for the 10 last years, Mean precipitation, Precipitation days, Monthly Sunhours

Munich City:

Munich Airport:

You see, over the last 10 years Munich has not been a arctic hellhole.

I like the warmup of Munich, except for the warmup of the winters. Summers are getting halfway decent, Spring is becoming nice.
Interesting Winter Weather like Snow and Real Cold are getting less likely, but they're still too cold, gloomy and miserable to enjoy for the most part.
Last December was an exception, not only was it a record warm December, it was very sunny aswell.

Last edited by Guajara; 03-30-2016 at 06:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 07:30 AM

24,144 posts, read 24,735,183 times
This is how the climate box would look like in Helsinki if there weren't ever any extremes:

edit: AND SORRY STUPID ME. THE DATA IS ACTUALLY 1990-2014, not 2015!

Old 03-30-2016, 07:34 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,568,694 times
I'll make a 1991-2015 climate box for LHR when I have some time, it'll give an idea of what the 91-20 averages will be like.

Our warmest individual day of the year is 1 Aug with an average high of 24.7c, though the average high for the last week of July and first week of August is 24.2c.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:16 AM

55 posts, read 39,953 times

a popular swedish ski-resort in northern dalarna. the station for temperature is located at the top of idre fell, 869masl. the precipitation data is from the village by the same name located 7km sw of the fell at 455m.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:21 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,437,957 times
I've finally managed to collect the weather data from the nearest weather station to my place and to make the averages!

All the data are from the archive of Arpa Piemonte
The weather station is in Susa Pietrastretta, altitude 520 m, latitude 45°08'34''N, longitude 07°03'18''E
Here there is the position on google maps. I would had that the weather station is next to the northern side of the valley, which is the sunniest one (in particular during the winter).

So that the weather station was positioned in December 1990, and for the first years the data were really partial, I've done the averages for the period 1992-2015 so I know that these can't be used as real climatic information, but I couldn't do more for now.

I've also made some graphs for showing the temperature and precipitation patterns (when I use excel I always make a lot of graphs for everything )

I would like to give a little comment, in particular about the winter. In fact I've noticed that our winter temperatures look visibly warmer than the ones in Turin, even if our altitude is higher.
I've made some hypotheses for this:

- the weather station is broken. Sincerely I would exclude this hypothesis, because I travel from Susa to Turin practically everyday and I have often the impression that Turin is colder than my place during the morning (for example I often see the frozen ground in Turin but not in Susa).

- the most of the averages used for Turin are referred to another period, for example wikipedia has the 1971–2000 averages. So it is possible that Turin in the meanwhile has warmed a bit too.
For testing this I should make the averages for Turin for the same period, and sincerely I don't have the time for it. Anyway I've compared some single months, and actually it happens quite often to see lower temperatures (in particular low temps) in Turin than in here comparing the same day. If I had to find a reason for this, I would say that it could be a consequence of thermal inversion, which is really common in Turin during the winter, and/or of Foehn wind, Foehn wind, which is quite frequent during the winter months in Susa instead (practically all the record high temps for the winter months are related to this kind of wind).

Summers are more predictable instead, in here it is visibly "cooler" than in Turin (that's one of the main reason why my family hasn't moved to Turin, my dad hates hot weathers).

Another strange point is the precipitation, which are visibly less intense than in Turin (even if the number of rainy days is similar). I won't make numeric comparison because I don't want to compare averages referred to different years, anyway for explaining this pattern I would simply say that in Turin precipitation events tends to be more intense than in here (in particular thunderstorms). Actually the strongest thunderstorms I've seen were in Turin and other places nearer to the plain.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:07 PM

55 posts, read 39,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urania93 View Post
I've finally managed to collect the weather data from the nearest weather station to my place and to make the averages!

All the data are from the archive of Arpa Piemonte
The weather station is in Susa Pietrastretta, altitude 520 m, latitude 45°08'34''N, longitude 07°03'18''E
Here there is the position on google maps. I would had that the weather station is next to the northern side of the valley, which is the sunniest one (in particular during the winter).

So that the weather station was positioned in December 1990, and for the first years the data were really partial, I've done the averages for the period 1992-2015 so I know that these can't be used as real climatic information, but I couldn't do more for now.

I've also made some graphs for showing the temperature and precipitation patterns (when I use excel I always make a lot of graphs for everything )

I would like to give a little comment, in particular about the winter. In fact I've noticed that our winter temperatures look visibly warmer than the ones in Turin, even if our altitude is higher.
I've made some hypotheses for this:

- the weather station is broken. Sincerely I would exclude this hypothesis, because I travel from Susa to Turin practically everyday and I have often the impression that Turin is colder than my place during the morning (for example I often see the frozen ground in Turin but not in Susa).

- the most of the averages used for Turin are referred to another period, for example wikipedia has the 1971–2000 averages. So it is possible that Turin in the meanwhile has warmed a bit too.
For testing this I should make the averages for Turin for the same period, and sincerely I don't have the time for it. Anyway I've compared some single months, and actually it happens quite often to see lower temperatures (in particular low temps) in Turin than in here comparing the same day. If I had to find a reason for this, I would say that it could be a consequence of thermal inversion, which is really common in Turin during the winter, and/or of Foehn wind, Foehn wind, which is quite frequent during the winter months in Susa instead (practically all the record high temps for the winter months are related to this kind of wind).

Summers are more predictable instead, in here it is visibly "cooler" than in Turin (that's one of the main reason why my family hasn't moved to Turin, my dad hates hot weathers).

Another strange point is the precipitation, which are visibly less intense than in Turin (even if the number of rainy days is similar). I won't make numeric comparison because I don't want to compare averages referred to different years, anyway for explaining this pattern I would simply say that in Turin precipitation events tends to be more intense than in here (in particular thunderstorms). Actually the strongest thunderstorms I've seen were in Turin and other places nearer to the plain.
interesting. very similar to lugano, but much drier.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:37 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,680,308 times

Donar calculated the Temperature Averages: http://www.city-data.com/forum/43868143-post6832.html

Mean Temps, Precipitation and Sunshine hours are taken from DWD here:

https://www.dwd.de/DE/leistungen/kli...ation&nn=16102

Extreme Temperatures are taken from here

Auswertungen

I'm not sure if i should put this on the Munich Wikipedia Page.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:56 AM

124 posts, read 93,637 times

on the north-shore of gulf of bothnia.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:36 PM

3,597 posts, read 2,683,906 times
I have updated the data for Rena with 2015, including new record high for Nov. Also, corrected one mistake about record low for January, and added coordinates.

Rena is located in Norways longest valley (Østerdalen) and is pretty much as deep inland as you can get in SE Norway withouth climbing too much in altitude. Rena is known for cold winters and very reliable snow cover, and for being the armys main location in southern Norway. One of the most continental climates in the southern half of Norway.

Last edited by Jakobsli; 05-14-2016 at 02:53 PM..

Old 05-16-2016, 04:04 PM

3,597 posts, read 2,683,906 times
Here is a place that is cool, especially in summer. Even so, it is extremely warm for it's location 200 km north of the Arctic Circle, near Svolvær, Norway.
Some of you might remember that I was in Svolvær in January and posted a few pics. Skrova is a very small archipelago of islands 9 km out in the sea from Svolvær, with a village of 200 people with the same name - Skrova. The lighthouse is on it's own small island. Needless to say, there is no UHI here.

Skrova lighthouse has the longest observation period in the Lofoten region, back to 1933, and data digitalised and available back to 1935.

This is the lighthouse:

Credit: https://dittdistrikt.no/v%C3%A5gan/images

So Skrova has the Lofoten mountains (Lofoten wall) to the north, and the higher and larger Kjølen mt range on the mainland to the east.

I have choosen to use the avg high/low and mean from Weatheronline, but all other data is from the database at met.no. Precipitation and precip days are based on 1961-90, as is sunhours (from Bodø).

The most amazing feature is the annual mean and the record lows for a location well inside the Arctic Circle. This is the actual data from eklima, with the 3 lowest recordings ever for each month of the year. Even if -15.1°C as an all-time low is extremely mild, it is actually extremely rare cold for Skrova - the second coldest ever in these 80 years is -13.4°C! All the record lows are old. Only the second coldest low in Oct is recent.

Credit: http://sharki.oslo.dnmi.no/portal/pa..._schema=PORTAL

And here is the all-time highs, also with 3 values from each month. NB: A new all-time high for January (10.6C on the 1th) was recorded in 2016 and is not in this table. Including January, three months have all-time high from after year 2000.

It is actually amazing that such a little island in the sea far north of the Arctic Circle have recorded temps above 30C. For comparison, all-time high in the city of Reykjavik (well south of Skrova) is 25.7°C and for Thorshavn, at only 62°N, is 22°C! Belfast, at 55°N, has all-time high 29°C...

And even more strange, Skrova is the place for tropical nights north of the Arctic Circle.
July 10th 2014 - low was 20.2C
June 10th 2011 - low was 21.5C - very early for tropical night so far north!
2009: Tropical night July 26th and Aug 3th. Tropenatt i nord - igjen - met.no
And so on...the warmest night ever at Skrova had a low of 23.4°C back in July 15th 1961.

It's a bit weird...there is even white sandy beaches at Skrova: oljetanken

Last edited by Jakobsli; 05-16-2016 at 04:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather