Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 02:23 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
ZERO where I live (40 miles from the coast) but the immediate coast gets plenty of completely overcast days due to the marine layer. Ours always burns off by 11AM at the latest. Once or twice a summer, we may get a day with high clouds due to monsoons but there are still some sunny breaks.
Monsoons in California?

This word seems to get used a bit in reference to the US. What's that all about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 03:34 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
They do happen, but they are rather rare. Though I think we have more summer overcast days than Paris, London and Leeds, to mention a few. Rainy days can be totally overcast, and the next day may be very cloudy as well. We had 11 days this summer with no or very little sunshine. On the other hand we may have completely clear skies for several days in a row, this summer we had 3 periods with at least 48h consecutive hours without any cloud cover at all. I think this is rather rare for the places mentioned earlier. Getting the max possible sunshine during a single day is quite common as well.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:03 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,563,074 times
We get May Gray and June Gloom here occasionally when there are a string of days with little or no sun due to an onshore marine layer near the beaches. Not so common later in the summer for it to last all day.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:35 PM

623 posts, read 674,751 times
They don't happen much, though I don't have any statistics, so I'm speaking from my memory.
Most cloudy days have a break somewhere. And it's unusual to have a day with absolutely no cloud cover, a cloud will usually sneak in there somewhere in the day. Completely cloudy or clear days are more common outside of summer, though summer has the highest sunshine percent. November probably has the most completely cloudy days, it's the cloudiest month in terms of percentage.

Old 09-29-2013, 07:00 PM

688 posts, read 841,364 times
Definitely a lot more than the number of thunderstorm days

Old 09-29-2013, 07:04 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
They do happen, but they are rather rare. Though I think we have more summer overcast days than Paris, London and Leeds, to mention a few. Rainy days can be totally overcast, and the next day may be very cloudy as well. We had 11 days this summer with no or very little sunshine. On the other hand we may have completely clear skies for several days in a row, this summer we had 3 periods with at least 48h consecutive hours without any cloud cover at all. I think this is rather rare for the places mentioned earlier. Getting the max possible sunshine during a single day is quite common as well.
Yeah, getting completely sunny days is a hard task here. On our sunniest days, cloud will almost always bubble up around midday, and sometimes will obscure the sun for an hour or two before clearing later in the afternoon. For completely sunny/cloudless days here, your best bet is outside summer, when the sun is weaker so lass surface-based heating occurs. Today was one of our sunniest days of the year in percentage terms, with completely unbroken sunshine for 10 hours, and I recall a few days in February where the sun shone from dawn to dusk without any cloud covering it at any point. There was probably about one day like that in July.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:06 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,970,437 times
They do happen BUT they are very rare. Our overcast don't usually last all day. Today is the expection though.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:37 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
They are rare, maybe once a month.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:05 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
^^ Same here, they're unusual. We had 2 sunless days last summer. Unlike during the cool season, there's almost always a break in the cloud cover at some point in the day.
Though very cloudy days (say 2 hours or less) are relatively common. We had 8 of them last summer.
The previous summer has 1 sunless day, but 15 below 2 hours. Granted, that was a very cloudy summer.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:10 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Monsoons in California?

This word seems to get used a bit in reference to the US. What's that all about?

The SW US gets a monsoon in summer, particularly New Mexico and Arizona. I guess maybe the part of CA near AZ gets some of the thunderstorms. Areas of AZ and NM get as many tstorms as places in the Upper US South, and certinaly more than the NE US.

North American Monsoon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you look at the map below, you can clearly see the area in AZ and NM with the 50 tstorms annually. That is the center of the US monsoon area. Not only tstorms, but dewpoints and humidity also increase in summer to uncomfortable levels at times.

Looks like the Salton Sea area of CA gets the most in CA, probably from the effects of the monsoon.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather