Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Freezehole or Hellhole?
Base Esperanza 26 65.00%
Dallol 14 35.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 12:55 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,069 times

Advertisements

So, after seeing the thread in where Vostok is fairly being beaten by comfortable San Diego, i tried to find 2 places on earth that are equally extreme both in hot and in cold, to make a somehow fair battle.

Base esperanza is located in the antartic peninsula and features an artic tundra climate: Esperanza Base - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and its one of the 2 civilain settlements on Antartica. Its obviously very cold, but not as cold to being inhabitated, and it even haves tourists visit it every year.
The average high in summer is barely above freezing (37.6) and its very cold with negative temps all months.
I wonder if this place is very sunny? cause i have an idea that it is, but i dont know where that comes from. It seems its sunny in antartica for some reason.

Dallol ethiopia holds the record high average temperature for an inhabited location on Earth, where an average annual temperature of 35°C (96°F): Dallol, Ethiopia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Its not only very hot all year, but its also humid, and im guessing sunny. No people live there, but the scenery is kinda unique and stunning in a way, with all the volcanos and those colours. Its supposed to be a ghost town, according to wikipedia, so i guess nobody lives here now but people use to live, so im guessing the climate also allows people to live there.

Anyways, im guessing heat lovers will find something to like in Dallol (all of them i wonder?) and cold lovers in Base Esperanza, im curious about what people thats in the middle likes more. The extreme hot or extreme cold??

Being one person thats in the middle, fan of the "cool mild" type of climates, i dont like any of those extreme climates, but i find Base Esperanza much more comfortable than Dallol. I think i wont be able to set foot in Dallol without dying instantly.

So my vote of course goes to Base Esperanza.

what about yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 01:11 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,885,033 times
Base Esperanza is has MUCH milder winters than the Vostok in that other joke of a poll. Their daily winter mean is higher than Vostok's all time record high. It even milder winters than most of Eastern Canada. AND it even has record highs above 50 F in every single month! True- it has NO summer but I think one could be comfortable anytime of the year when dressed appropriately.

In Dallol, one could only go out at night without dying of heatstroke- during the daytime, death would be guaranteed if you spent a lot of time outdoors.

Base Esperanza easily. If I had to pick between Vostok and Dallol, I'd have to think much more about that one.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:20 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Base Esperanza is has MUCH milder winters than the Vostok in that other joke of a poll. Their daily winter mean is higher than Vostok's all time record high. It even milder winters than most of Eastern Canada. AND it even has record highs above 50 F in every single month! True- it has NO summer but I think one could be comfortable anytime of the year when dressed appropriately.

In Dallol, one could only go out at night without dying of heatstroke- during the daytime, death would be guaranteed if you spent a lot of time outdoors.

Base Esperanza easily. If I had to pick between Vostok and Dallol, I'd have to think much more about that one.
Mmmh, i actually picked this cause i think they are equally extreme. In the Vostok vs Dallol thread (there was one a while ago) a lot of the forumers agreed than Vostok was much more colder than Dallol hot. I mean, i HATE Dallol climate more than anyone in the world, and even i had to admit than Dallol is far more livable and comfortable than Vostok. Vostok haves DEADLY conditions all year long, while Dallol does not.
30/40c averages with that humidity is certainly very hot, but its not unlivable or dangerous, there are places with much hotter summers than that.
Base Esperanza is at the same level, imo. Cold all year, but of course not unlivable or dangerous like many other places.

I think this places are equally in the cold/hot extreme scale and this is a fair battle.

Me picking Base Esperanza haves to do with my extreme hate of hot weather, wich is way stronger than the uncomfortableness this cold can make me feel.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:37 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I wonder if this place is very sunny? cause i have an idea that it is, but i dont know where that comes from. It seems its sunny in antartica for some reason.
I think Esperanza is quite cloudy and foggy, as the whole of the Antarctic peninsula. The sub-Antarctic islands are at least some of the cloudiest places on Earth. Interior Antarctica is indeed very sunny in summer, due to the lack of moisture.

As for temperatures, it's not very bad in summer. According to tutiempo, temperatures easily reach some 6-8C during the days in and nights are barely below freezing. So if you are protected by the wind, it can be quite comfortable. They apparently went up to 13.1C on Feb 28 this year.
The atmospheric pressure seem to be low year-round, which is a indication that it's probably very cloudy and windy.

Dallol is completely uninhabitable. A humixed of 70C in January? No thanks!

Old 03-12-2013, 06:49 AM

839 posts, read 3,070,281 times
To confirm what Ariete says, yes, Esperanza IS very cloudy. According to clima, it has only 996 yearly sunshine hours.

I vote for Esperanza for sure. Its summers are not warm enough, but they are still livable compared to the hell of Dallol.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:52 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Since I hate snow and ice in any form, I'll have to vote for Dallol but of course it is much too hot even for me. I definitely would have to live a completely nocturnal lifestyle there but it's better than the eternal winter of esperanza.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:16 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
Dallol by far..

Just kidding.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:38 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,555,583 times
DALLOL!

30/40°C is certainly hot but nothing extraordinary at all. I've experienced a few days with similar high and lows (and even warmer) in Delhi. Afternoons are unpleasant, but wouldn't be a problem with some A/C, while mornings are comfy and nights very warm. Plus I'm guessing it is very sunny.

The other is a F- cold dark barren nightmarish ****hole, no thanks.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:59 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,200,921 times
I chose Dallol. While it has a bad climate, it's far superior to Esperanza.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:12 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,174 times
Urgh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather