Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 05:00 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times

Advertisements

To TV meteorologists, anything under 80F is fair game to be called "cold" or "chilly", and anything below 35F is eligible to be "bitter cold". But don't forget that 100F is just "warm" . That's actually not a joke - in 2011 some jerk on The Weather Channel described 100F temperatures in the Mid-Atlantic as "warm", and those were record highs. Record lows this time of year in the same region run in the high 20's, but if that happened you would almost never see that described as "cool" or "chilly" - you'd be more likely to hear "bitter, bitter cold" than "cool".

50's for highs is not cold by any fair measure - chilly is more like it considering the time of year. True, it is below normal, but 100F would not be cold if it was normally 130F, nor would -50F be warm if it was normally -80F. You can rave about departures from normal all you want, but the terms "cold" and "hot" connote some sort of absolute standards. Now, the subfreezing morning lows can fairly be considered "cold" since it's an early freeze, but the days fall far short of what most people think of when they think of "cold". Heck, if it's sunny most people wouldn't even need a jacket in the afternoon, even taking into account the lack of acclimatization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 05:08 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
It's been really nice here in Northern Nevada here at 5100'. High 20's in the morning, and high 60's in the late afternoon with very low humidity. I walk in a t shirt at 9:00 am at 40 and it's comfortable, and an hour later it's 50. As long as the sun is shinning and above 25 it's not really cold.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:09 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
To TV meteorologists, anything under 80F is fair game to be called "cold" or "chilly", and anything below 35F is eligible to be "bitter cold". But don't forget that 100F is just "warm" . That's actually not a joke - in 2011 some jerk on The Weather Channel described 100F temperatures in the Mid-Atlantic as "warm", and those were record highs. Record lows this time of year in the same region run in the high 20's, but if that happened you would almost never see that described as "cool" or "chilly" - you'd be more likely to hear "bitter, bitter cold" than "cool".

50's for highs is not cold by any fair measure - chilly is more like it considering the time of year. True, it is below normal, but 100F would not be cold if it was normally 130F, nor would -50F be warm if it was normally -80F. You can rave about departures from normal all you want, but the terms "cold" and "hot" connote some sort of absolute standards. Now, the subfreezing morning lows can fairly be considered "cold" since it's an early freeze, but the days fall far short of what most people think of when they think of "cold". Heck, if it's sunny most people wouldn't even need a jacket in the afternoon, even taking into account the lack of acclimatization.
you obviously don't know people here in south florida. Temperatures have been in the 80s since may here yet some people are still wearing hoodies... I start wearing warmer clothing if temps fall below 22c(even if it's just in the morning) once temps fall below 16c I start wearing jackets and once it's below 10c I go all out winter gear.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:34 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,874,995 times
I can't even imagine finding 22c actually cold. Like cold

Old 10-22-2013, 05:44 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
I would be very angry if I were subjected to indoor heat at this time of year. Luckily, my workplace is very cool. It's simply not necessary to use the heat right now. And I completely agree, this is the perfect time of year and the perfect weather for open windows. I love wearing a few extra layers on a nice cold night in an unheated house. When I was a college student and slept in dorm rooms, they'd always have that nasty heat on, even if it was a mild winter day. I woke up many times drenched in sweat. I may use air conditioning more than the average person, but I'm more than willing to offset that by using less heat in the winter.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:59 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggier View Post
Yeah, except people flip out when they hear COLD. So whether that cold is mid-50s or mid-20s, they take COLD as gospel. Like I said, temps in the 50s and out come winter parkas and gloves and all, never mind the commercial properties who crank up the indoor heat as if everyone will freeze to death without it. UGGH. Don't even get me started on SNOW in the DC area. OMG
Sometimes I wonder if you aren't in your 60s with arthritis that most people that want to move to Florida because 50s is "cold" is mostly psychological or something else. Besides very few on here like ColdCanadian who genuinely have a medical condition that makes them feel cold all the time, I think it's mostly a psychological thing. Heat = summer = vacation. Ergo, living in Florida with heat all the time will seem like it's vacation 350 days a year.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:03 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
you obviously don't know people here in south florida. Temperatures have been in the 80s since may here yet some people are still wearing hoodies... I start wearing warmer clothing if temps fall below 22c(even if it's just in the morning) once temps fall below 16c I start wearing jackets and once it's below 10c I go all out winter gear.
Yeah, but, the weather forecasters are from Atlanta; not southern Florida.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:07 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggier View Post
Coming cold blast: Parts of mid-Atlantic to flirt with first freeze

D.C. weather forecast: Cold weather expected this week

D.C. area forecast: Sunny start to week, but turning sharply colder midweek

The above are just a few of the local headlines in the last couple of days in my area of the country. COLD? Really? Daytime highs between 53-59 °F are COLD??? All this COLD talk is freaking peeps out. The maintenance crew at my office has already cranked the building heat up in the 70s – yuck! – and the women in my office are arriving and departing in their winter parkas and gloves. It’s mid-50s and you’d think it’s the ice age cometh all over again. What are they going to wear to keep warm when it’s in the 30s? Can't think of better temps to leave the house windows open, especially at night, when the air temp drops another 15-20 degrees

Just what do meteorologists/weather announcers/weather bloggers consider COLD? Is there some sort of standard? Mid-50s isn’t it
Cold is all relative. What is cold to some, isn't cold to others. I moved to Tampa, Fl from Vernon, CT 5 1/2 years ago. Those high temps are not cold for CT this time of year, but really cold to Tampa. The average low is 53 in December in Tampa. If that was a high for Tampa - it would be cold!! I was just up north last weekend for a wedding, and my mom was commenting about how perfect the weather was, and I was cold.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:18 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,094,512 times
To me, just 17 degrees and above feels hot. It's not that I have don't enjoy heat, but I really enjoy winter weather. I couldn't imagine what it's like to live in some of those Arabian countries where it gets to 50 degrees in the summer. I would rather have Antarctica-cold winters than summers that hot.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:34 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,887,808 times
People claim San Francisco is soooooooooo cold in summer (highs in the 60s F) but people know they mean relatively cold compared to most of the U.S. in summer. Cold is a relative term depending on what the norms and the past weather were. We call it "really cold" here in San Jose when we have low temperatures below freezing and highs around 50 F in January but I know that's not that cold but it's cold for here. In Chicago, it would be a winter heat wave. Likewise, if Chicago had a low of 55 F in July, it would be "cold" but a low of 55 F in July (with highs in the low 80s) is normal here. Cold is a relative term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather