U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-11-2008, 04:11 PM

13,496 posts, read 24,688,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
not NEARLY as warm as predicted here in North GA, predicted a high of 62, it's 52 and cloudy right now. Once again the overprediction of warm weather here in North GA.
You know, I've noticed this before when looking at the weather map. You're usually much warmer then we are right here, but it's 55 here now. BUT the thing I've noticed is that the Hills are often warmer then you are. I just checked and it's 66 degrees there right now.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:36 PM

29,910 posts, read 5,293,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
You know, I've noticed this before when looking at the weather map. You're usually much warmer then we are right here, but it's 55 here now. BUT the thing I've noticed is that the Hills are often warmer then you are. I just checked and it's 66 degrees there right now.
i've always wondered, what makes the black hills so warm, a common person would think that beacuse they are higher in elevation they are cooler, but what effect makes them so warm?

Old 03-11-2008, 06:23 PM

3,206 posts, read 8,883,514 times
Quote:
i've always wondered, what makes the black hills so warm, a common person would think that beacuse they are higher in elevation they are cooler, but what effect makes them so warm?
Same with LA. If it's about 75*-80* at the beach, our Santa Monica Mountains usually are about 80*-90*. I remember one heat wave last winter, it was 84* at the beach, but I had a tennis tournament at the Riviera Country Club in Beverly Hills. (Yes that's the one that the million and billionaires are part of...my team won though) It's in the mountains, but it was like 98* there. I thought I was gonna die from the heat. I mean, 98* at the beach is perfect, but not to play tennis in.

About LA reaching the 90's in the winter, I remember when I was in 4th grade, so about six years ago, the temperature at the beach in February was 96* while inland was only in the 80's. It's so cool when that happens, except that means there's Santa Ana winds which bring fires.

Jammie, what city do you live in again? And I don't know SD that well, so what cities are warmer that are up in the hills?

Old 03-11-2008, 06:31 PM

20,003 posts, read 20,289,999 times
Quote:
man, 80 already in houston, it's only early march!! I wonder how hot it'll get there in Mid-July!!
I know I really don't even want to think about summer, I HATE summer here!

Currently in Houston, TX
Sunny 66F
Feels Like 66F
Dew Point: 43F
Humidity: 44%
Pressure: 30.12 inches
Wind: From the Northeast at 7 mph

Tonight: Generally clear. Low 47F. Winds light and variable.

Tomorrow: Mainly sunny. High near 75F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:41 PM
AB AB started this thread

5,060 posts, read 2,892,100 times
cloudy, even foggy this morning, now its cleared up and warming up nicely.

Forecast 86F - sunny Average high for the month so far is running at 86F at my place - yet again the warmest in Melbourne

Old 03-11-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Same with LA. If it's about 75*-80* at the beach, our Santa Monica Mountains usually are about 80*-90*. I remember one heat wave last winter, it was 84* at the beach, but I had a tennis tournament at the Riviera Country Club in Beverly Hills. (Yes that's the one that the million and billionaires are part of...my team won though) It's in the mountains, but it was like 98* there. I thought I was gonna die from the heat. I mean, 98* at the beach is perfect, but not to play tennis in.

About LA reaching the 90's in the winter, I remember when I was in 4th grade, so about six years ago, the temperature at the beach in February was 96* while inland was only in the 80's. It's so cool when that happens, except that means there's Santa Ana winds which bring fires.

Jammie, what city do you live in again? And I don't know SD that well, so what cities are warmer that are up in the hills?
DX, I really don't know why it's warmer out in the Hills. The only thing I know is that the Hot Springs area has underground aquafiers and that's what keeps that area warm. But it's nothing for Rapid to be 20 degrees warmer then it is here. Rapid is sort of in a valley and is protected from the winds, too. Maybe Danny will come along and see your question cause he lives in Rapid.

Jesse, I live in Mitchell. It's pretty much in southeastern So. Dak~about 70 miles west of Sioux Falls and 70 miles east of Chamberlain and the Missouri River. Rapid can have 70 degrees and Sioux Falls can have 30 degrees. It's kinda odd. We have humidity over here, but West River has a semi-arid climate. Rapid City is the big city in the western part of our state. Then there's Deadwood/Lead which is actually in a gulch. Remember hearing about Deadwood Gulch on westerns or in movies? Well, it REALLY is in a gulch, but they dropped that part of the name years ago. There are a lot of smaller towns out there~Spearfish, Sturgis (Sturgis Motorcycle Rally), Keystone, (cute little town at the base of Mt. Rushmore, Custer, Hill City, etc. It really is a beautiful area out there, BUT they still get winter. The length of our state is probably just a bit over 400 miles. I live about 250 miles east of Rapid.

Oh yea, and just so I stay on topic, it actually hit 55 degrees here today.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:57 PM

12,146 posts, read 21,268,786 times
Woke up this morning to -20 here again, but it made it all the way to 34 by late afternoon. No snow, but they are calling for 4" tonight and into tomorrow, with maybe 12" this week-end.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
DX, I really don't know why it's warmer out in the Hills. The only thing I know is that the Hot Springs area has underground aquafiers and that's what keeps that area warm. But it's nothing for Rapid to be 20 degrees warmer then it is here. Rapid is sort of in a valley and is protected from the winds, too. Maybe Danny will come along and see your question cause he lives in Rapid.

Jesse, I live in Mitchell. It's pretty much in southeastern So. Dak~about 70 miles west of Sioux Falls and 70 miles east of Chamberlain and the Missouri River. Rapid can have 70 degrees and Sioux Falls can have 30 degrees. It's kinda odd. We have humidity over here, but West River has a semi-arid climate. Rapid City is the big city in the western part of our state. Then there's Deadwood/Lead which is actually in a gulch. Remember hearing about Deadwood Gulch on westerns or in movies? Well, it REALLY is in a gulch, but they dropped that part of the name years ago. There are a lot of smaller towns out there~Spearfish, Sturgis (Sturgis Motorcycle Rally), Keystone, (cute little town at the base of Mt. Rushmore, Custer, Hill City, etc. It really is a beautiful area out there, BUT they still get winter. The length of our state is probably just a bit over 400 miles. I live about 250 miles east of Rapid.

Oh yea, and just so I stay on topic, it actually hit 55 degrees here today.
really, i didn't know there was hot springs out in the Black Hills thanks for the info.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Woke up this morning to -20 here again, but it made it all the way to 34 by late afternoon. No snow, but they are calling for 4" tonight and into tomorrow, with maybe 12" this week-end.
man, with all that snow, you probably have A LOT of radiational cooling at night, huh?

It's 41 degrees here, low of 30 tonight.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
really, i didn't know there was hot springs out in the Black Hills thanks for the info.
Yea, they're by a town called Hot Springs, too. You can swim in Evans Plunge which is natural, warm spring water. It's supposed to be good for arthritis and other things. Sort of like the fountain of youth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather