Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 05:24 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
My gosh, the meteorologists were definitely right about the cold front that was supposed to hit east and south! Aren't those more like January lows for Fla. and Tx.?
It is for Texas, can I get hopeful about a really cold January????? Low of 40 tonight.

Currently in Houston, TX
Clear 52°F
Feels Like
52°F
Dew Point: 33°F
Humidity: 48%
Pressure: 30.33 inches
Wind: calm

Old 11-16-2008, 05:27 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,956,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Probably not a lot.
Winnipeg is south of a large lake, rather than east of one.
I suppose with a powerfull north wind maybe.
Also Winnipeg is actually 10-20 miles south of the lake too.
The main reason I think Winnipeg gets more snow though is the climate keeps getting drier the further west you head from Ontario, until you hit the foothills of the Rockies in southwestern Alberta.

Yes Quebec is just about as damp as Ontario, only it's colder.

However if you like severe cold and like prefer seeing the sun at least once a week, you might like the Prairies better even though there's less snow.

Did you notice on the link I sent you their annual average precip in Saskatoon is just over 1/3rd of what Toronto gets, and Winnipeg gets just over half?

If you want to live in Quebec it'd be best to learn French.
Interior New Brunswick is nearly as cold and just as snowy as Quebec,
and tends to have a mix of English and French communities.
(directly northeast of Maine)
Sounds like Western Ontario near the Manitoba border is for me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
My gosh, the meteorologists were definitely right about the cold front that was supposed to hit east and south! Aren't those more like January lows for Fla. and Tx.?
Not even......the avg low here is 57 in January, or low is supposed to be 46 tonight.

Near the Glades, Southwest Ranches, Florida (PWS)
Updated: 10 sec ago
56.8 °F / 13.8 °C
Clear
Humidity: 56%
Dew Point: 41 °F / 5 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 30.16 in / 1021.2 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0.0 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 15 ft / 4 m

Old 11-16-2008, 05:27 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
We are already down to 53° and the furnace is running full speed. I must say if feels good. If I could have it between 70 and 50 I would be overjoyed.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:35 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
Sounds like Western Ontario near the Manitoba border is for me!!

Not even......the avg low here is 57 in January, or low is supposed to be 46 tonight.
Why's that?
Are you hoping for a balance between heavy snow, lighter annual cloud cover amounts, severe cold mixed with "warm" summers?
If that's the case you're probably right.

Just east of the Manitoba border is an area called "Lake of the Woods" which is an area that is nearly nothing but hills and lakes.
"Cottage Country" feeling everywhere for about 100 miles. Landscape is amazing, but it's very repetitive, if that doesn't bother you.
(Go over the next hill and you'll see an almost identical lake, surrounded by nearly identical hills)
"Kenora" is the largest town in this region.

Closer to Minnesota are towns like Atitokan and Fort Frances.
Fort Frances is actually a border town. They might be similar to "Lake of the Woods."
Actually, I think these places average colder winters and warmer summers than "Lake of the Woods."
(you can check it out yourself since I gave you the link )

Dryden is actually a little boring looking to me.
Rolling farmland with some forest, rather than a northern wilderness feeling.
This lasts for another 100 or so miles as you head east.

Thunder Bay and roughly 100 miles to the west on the Trans Canada actually look mountainous.
I was shocked. It looked like a northern version of West Virginia, or even the mountainous parts of Jamaica.
Apparently the northern coast of Lake Superior is supposed to be very rugged.

The climate just west of the Ontario border for the first 60 miles should be similar since it has towering spruce and pine trees,
but the land is still "prairie-flat."

Congrats on getting some chill.
Are you waking up early so to experience the cold?

Old 11-16-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Why's that? Are you hoping for a balance between heavy snow, lighter cloud cover amounts, severe cold mixed with warm summers? If that's the case you're probably right.

Just east of the Manitoba border is an area called "Lake of the Woods" which is an area that is nearly nothing but hills and lakes. "Cottage Country" feeling everywhere for about 100 miles. Landscape is amazing, but it's very repetitive, if that doesn't bother you. (Go over the next hill and you'll see an almost identical lake, surrounded by nearly identical hills) "Kenora" is the largest town in this region. Closer to Minnesota are towns like Atitokan and Fort Frances. Fort Frances is actually a border town. They might be similar to "Lake of the Woods."

Dryden is actually a little boring looking to me. Rolling farmland with some forest, rather than a northern wilderness feeling. This lasts for another 100 or so miles as you head east.

Thunder Bay and roughly 100 miles to the west on the Trans Canada actually look mountainous. I was shocked. It looked like a northern version of West Virginia, or even the mountainous parts of Jamaica. Apparently the northern coast of Lake Superior is supposed to be very rugged.

The climate just west of the Ontario border for the first 60 miles should be about the same since it has towering spruce and pine trees, but the land is still "prairie-flat."

Congrats on getting some chill.
Are you waking up early so to experience the cold?
Yes, exactly why I pickes Western Ontario near the Manitoba border, figured since it's east of Lake WInnipeg than it gets some lake-effect snow.

The "Lake of the Woods" region extends into Northeastern Minneosta and Northern Wisconsin, truly a beautiful area.

Yes, I knew about Kenora, it's right above the Minnesota Border, about 100 kilometers east of Winnipeg. . This region is kinda rugged because, If I'm not mistaken, it's the southern extent of the Canadian Shield? I may be wrong here.....

Thanks....I love this slight chill.

I have to wake up early anyways since I have school tommorow. , But even if today was Friday and tommorow was Saturday, I would still be waking up early.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:04 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
@ 9:04 pm est

mostly cloudy / 36.2°

Old 11-16-2008, 07:08 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
The "Lake of the Woods" region extends into Northeastern Minneosta and Northern Wisconsin, truly a beautiful area.

Yes, I knew about Kenora, it's right above the Minnesota Border, about 100 kilometers east of Winnipeg. . This region is kinda rugged because, If I'm not mistaken, it's the southern extent of the Canadian Shield? I may be wrong here.....

Thanks....I love this slight chill.
I have to wake up early anyways since I have school tommorow. , But even if today was Friday and tommorow was Saturday, I would still be waking up early.
I never knew that, thanks for the geography tidbit.

Not even close.
Winnipeg is nearly 200 km, roughly 100 miles from Ontario and then Kenora is at least another 60 km or 45 miles. It took me 2 hours just to get to Ontario from the outskirts of Winnipeg and another 45-55 minutes to Kenora. I was driving roughly 10-15 km/h over the limit the whole way. If you stop for gas or food, easily over 3 hours of driving.
*** Southern extent of the Canadian Shield in Canada extends into eastern Ontario, 2-3 hours east of Toronto.
I think it also extends into Upstate NY and possibly northern New England.

Cool! I try not to sleep too much when we have fantastic weather too.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I never knew that, thanks for the geography tidbit.

Not even close.
Winnipeg is nearly 200 km, roughly 100 miles from Ontario and then Kenora is at least another 60 km or 45 miles. It took me 2 hours just to get to Ontario from the outskirts of Winnipeg and another 45-55 minutes to Kenora. I was driving roughly 10-15 km/h over the limit the whole way. If you stop for gas or food, easily over 3 hours of driving.
*** Southern extent of the Canadian Shield in Canada extends into eastern Ontario, 2-3 hours east of Toronto.
I think it also extends into Upstate NY and possibly northern New England.

Cool! I try not to sleep too much when we have fantastic weather too.
Haha...wow, way off!!!!!

***walks the walk of shame****

Dosen't the Canadian Shield go from Nunavut, through the NE part of Manitoba, Northern Ontario, then through Central Quebec?? If that's the case then it's possible for the Canadian Shield to go down to Northern Minnesot
a and Northern New England.

Well.....I'm not that bad with Geography, just had a brainfart with the Kenora one.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:39 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
48° but feels like 45°.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:09 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Haha...wow, way off!!!!!

***walks the walk of shame****

Dosen't the Canadian Shield go from Nunavut, through the NE part of Manitoba, Northern Ontario, then through Central Quebec?? If that's the case then it's possible for the Canadian Shield to go down to Northern Minnesot
a and Northern New England.

Well.....I'm not that bad with Geography, just had a brainfart with the Kenora one.
The Canadian Shield EXTENDS southward into northern MN, northern WI, the western UP of MI, and the Adirondacks of NY. The Applachian Mountains are NOT a part of the Canadian Shield.
A common characteristic of Canadian Shield areas are poor soils, a predominate coniferous or mixed forest makeup, and many bogs or lakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather