Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 08:31 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,214,588 times

Advertisements

I am no weather expert for East Asia but from what I have heard much of East Asia is under the influence of the Siberian High Pressure system in winter and so has comparatively colder drier winters followed by considerably wetter summers than Eastern North America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 08:37 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
I am no weather expert for East Asia but from what I have heard much of East Asia is under the influence of the Siberian High Pressure system in winter and so has comparatively colder drier winters followed by considerably wetter summers than Eastern North America.

It is colder there due to the stronger Siberian High, but I am not understanding how that very cold Siberian High actually results in those climates having warmer extreme winter minimums than places in the US South at the same latitude.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:39 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Good point. It seems a place like Shanghai rarely if ever goes below around 25F. It is zone 9a or 9b. Similar latitude to Savannah, GA yet only in the 1980's was Savannah in the single digits for record low temperatures. Shanghai has an average January low temp of 34F, only a couple degrees above freezing. Loads of CIDP in Shanghai that seem to do very well there. Temp's only in the upper 40's for winter high temps.

Why is their winter std deviation so low, yet they have a massive very cold continent north of there going all the way to the Arctic? How does a very strong Siberian High prevent them from having warmer winter minimum temps every year? North America doesn't have nearly the landmass north of it that Shanghai does. I get it that our temps fluctuate all over due to a weaker high pressure, but how does that weaker high pressure allow much colder air to come south. That is what I'm not understanding.

I would think a much stronger Siberian High would allow much colder air to come sweeping down from the North Pole. Supposedly that Siberian High is responsible for the cold in China.
Shanghai reached -8 C (17 F) in 1991. However it is true that the annual minimum is usually around -4 C (25 F). However, if you look at Wuhan, which is located at the same latitude, you will find it is much colder. The record low is -1 F.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:45 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,972,829 times
It is because Shanghai has a urban heat island. Most of Eastern China at or north of it's latitude can get 15 C colder than mean temp.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:15 PM

613 posts, read 1,168,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Yeung View Post
It is because Shanghai has a urban heat island. Most of Eastern China at or north of it's latitude can get 15 C colder than mean temp.
I wonder how much the density of cities in a country like China influences these climate stats as a whole. American cities in general are far more spread out and won't concentrate heat.

That probably doesn't explain totally it but I wonder if it contributes. Like the city Harbin that's as cold as Winnipeg in Canada -- Wikipedia says the Chinese city has close to 6 million people and the Canadian city has only a bit over 600, 000. That's a big difference!

Could the lows for the East Asian cities having records that are milder despite colder averages be because individual cold events, snaps that would be short and sudden but lead to record temperature are buffered by the thermal inertia of the big city?

Old 12-06-2013, 10:41 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markovian process View Post
I wonder how much the density of cities in a country like China influences these climate stats as a whole. American cities in general are far more spread out and won't concentrate heat.

That probably doesn't explain totally it but I wonder if it contributes. Like the city Harbin that's as cold as Winnipeg in Canada -- Wikipedia says the Chinese city has close to 6 million people and the Canadian city has only a bit over 600, 000. That's a big difference!

Could the lows for the East Asian cities having records that are milder despite colder averages be because individual cold events, snaps that would be short and sudden but lead to record temperature are buffered by the thermal inertia of the big city?
In China, the official weather stations are usually far from the city. For example, there are many stations in Beijing, but the official one is like 20 miles away from the urban area, in the middle of farm land.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:19 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Good point. It seems a place like Shanghai rarely if ever goes below around 25F. It is zone 9a or 9b. Similar latitude to Savannah, GA yet only in the 1980's was Savannah in the single digits for record low temperatures. Shanghai has an average January low temp of 34F, only a couple degrees above freezing. Loads of CIDP in Shanghai that seem to do very well there. Temp's only in the upper 40's for winter high temps.

Why is their winter std deviation so low, yet they have a massive very cold continent north of there going all the way to the Arctic? How does a very strong Siberian High prevent them from having warmer winter minimum temps every year? North America doesn't have nearly the landmass north of it that Shanghai does. I get it that our temps fluctuate all over due to a weaker high pressure, but how does that weaker high pressure allow much colder air to come south. That is what I'm not understanding.

I would think a much stronger Siberian High would allow much colder air to come sweeping down from the North Pole. Supposedly that Siberian High is responsible for the cold in China.
Shanghai's record low is 10F.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:07 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,161,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Shanghai's record low is 10F.
That was in January 1893, when snow also occurred in Taipei and along the coast from Fuzhou, FJ south(west)ward to Guangzhou, GD. Assuming Shanghai's official reporting station is still within the core the chance of that re-occurring in our lifetimes is minimal

Old 12-26-2013, 09:08 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,161,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In China, the official weather stations are usually far from the city. For example, there are many stations in Beijing, but the official one is like 20 miles away from the urban area, in the middle of farm land.
In which district then?

Old 12-26-2013, 09:45 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin34 View Post
That was in January 1893, when snow also occurred in Taipei and along the coast from Fuzhou, FJ south(west)ward to Guangzhou, GD. Assuming Shanghai's official reporting station is still within the core the chance of that re-occurring in our lifetimes is minimal
Hopefully.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather