Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2013, 12:17 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,321 times

Advertisements

Since I live in Canada, I'll offer Canadian examples. On the Pacific coast of BC, the coldest month is January, and December is a very close runner-up (there is even a place, the name of which I've forgotten, that has December as the coldest month). February is a distant third. As you proceed eastward, the gap between February and December narrows and reaches zero in the middle of the country, near Winnipeg. East of this, February is the second-coldest month of the year. It's odd that winter lag increases with continentality.

The West Coast otherwise has a maritime climate and fairly high summer lag, so what's the reason for the short winter lag?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 12:34 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
Maybe since the eastern side of North America gets more shots of Canadian Arctic air which originates from Nunavut (which is at it's coldest in February) that leads to the seasonal lag but I'm not sure.

I do know that the cold air that hits the West Coast normally originates from Siberia, and Siberia is at it's coldest in December/January so maybe that's why there's very little seasonal lag on the West Coast. About summertime however that is strange, I notice the Midwest US has the same pattern, December/January as the coldest months but July/August as the hottest. Maybe sea/soil temps have more of an effect during summer than winter?

Old 11-14-2013, 02:44 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Places like Labrador and Newfoundland are also affected by by the cold Labrador Current.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:04 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Maybe since the eastern side of North America gets more shots of Canadian Arctic air which originates from Nunavut (which is at it's coldest in February) that leads to the seasonal lag but I'm not sure.

I do know that the cold air that hits the West Coast normally originates from Siberia, and Siberia is at it's coldest in December/January so maybe that's why there's very little seasonal lag on the West Coast. About summertime however that is strange, I notice the Midwest US has the same pattern, December/January as the coldest months but July/August as the hottest. Maybe sea/soil temps have more of an effect during summer than winter?
Interesting, I never considered it from the angle of cold air source climates, but that's a very valid hypothesis.
Anyone else want to speculate?

Old 11-14-2013, 12:48 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Maybe it's because there's a bigger difference between fall and winter in the eastern sections of North America compared to the oceanic west coast? For example, the difference in mean temperature between November and January in Vancouver is only 4 F, while in Ottawa it's 21 F. Ottawa and a good chunk of North America have much farther to go before reaching their average winter minimum than Vancouver. Vancouver is almost already there during the autumn.

Hard for me to put it in to words, but hopefully the above makes sense.

The cloudiness and precipitation also plays a role in Vancouver's 'stability' and mildness. Maybe December is slightly colder due to lower daylight?

Old 11-14-2013, 05:51 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:

The cold air actually originates from the Yukon and Alberta, hence why those Arctic fronts we get are called Alberta Clippers

Old 11-14-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The cold air actually originates from the Yukon and Alberta, hence why those Arctic fronts we get are called Alberta Clippers
Yes, but the Northeastern U.S is susceptible to air masses that originate in Nunavut as well, which could be the reason why there's a bit of seasonal delay in the Northeast (more so than the South, or Midwest).

Old 11-14-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, but the Northeastern U.S is susceptible to air masses that originate in Nunavut as well, which could be the reason why there's a bit of seasonal delay in the Northeast (more so than the South, or Midwest).

Ah well, that's true too. We also get the cold Labrador Current up here as well. Originates in Baffin Bay and snakes its way around Labrador and ends up in northeast coastal Maine. Lol the Northeast is a clusterfook of Nunavut, Alberta, and Gulf of Mexico/Caribbean air masses. No wonder our weather is erratic here. Cold and dry, cold and humid, warm and humid, etc.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:08 PM

Lol yes, we certainly are lucky here east of the Rockies to get a good variety of weather throughout the year (though I wish there was more down here, however).

Old 11-14-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Lol yes, we certainly are lucky here east of the Rockies to get a good variety of weather throughout the year (though I wish there was more down here, however).
here are times where it's cool and humid here. Lately, it's been dry here because everytime I get out of my car, I shock my fingers when closing the door and can hear the static coursing through my coat when I get out, lol. It's really annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather