Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 06:26 AM

4,117 posts, read 5,524,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
All of Western Europa (except Nordic countries), plus Chile, Argentina, northern Japan, Korea, parts of China and New Zealand... I think.
No way! The UK and Ireland get tons of rain but not really that much snow. The lack of snow would disqualify them as being like the East coast. We don't get hot summers either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 08:45 AM

1,756 posts, read 2,509,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The only country that is similar to strictly the east coast states (east of the Appalachian Mountains) is Japan, and Japan only. When you get west of the Appalachians, the climate becomes much more similar to the Korean Peninsula and China. The similarities with China stop at the Sierra Nevada mountains and west of the Sierra Nevada the climates become more similar to Europe (in particular to Spain, Portugal, and France)

Fabio, none of Europe is similar to the east coast USA. When it comes to climate, which side the ocean is in relation to you is very important and greatly influences the climate. In your country, the closest the climate is to the east coast US is Rio Grande do Sul to São Paulo (Miami or Key West)

I'll also add northeast Argentina is similar as well, and Uruguay.
Well... the east coast of USA is thus much warmer than I ever imagined...

A common joke here is that we sometimes live the four seasons of the year in the same day. But the climate here is generally warm, with much more hot and sunny (and rainy) days than cold days.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:00 PM

25,040 posts, read 27,802,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Well... the east coast of USA is thus much warmer than I ever imagined...

A common joke here is that we sometimes live the four seasons of the year in the same day. But the climate here is generally warm, with much more hot and sunny (and rainy) days than cold days.
Here it's the opposite where I live. We'recoming into winter and last week it was -5-0°C in my city, and a few days ago it was 17°C and now it will go down to about 5°C this week. In the southeast US it's the opposite, it can be 25°C in December and 0°C in the same week. That's why even the southeast US has 4 seasons, but most of the east coast has 4 seasons in one or two weeks.

But, strictly speaking, if we're talking about a "full 4 season" climate (whatever that means to you and others), then Tokyo/Wilmington to Sapporo/Buffalo regions are most similar. Japan is the only country in the world that has the most similar climate to the Northeast US. Argentina comes at a close second

I was wrong. Miami has the same temperatures as Rio de Janeiro, not São Paulo. The city where I was born and raised in the US is warmer than Natal but cooler than Fortaleza

Old 11-17-2013, 02:22 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,258,589 times
Climate zones usually occur on the same sides of continents. The humid continental climate everyone is thinking of, occurs on the eastern side of North America so northern and eastern Asia are the best guesses I've read on here. It is usually situated north of the humid subtropical climate like that of the southeast and a good portion of China. Just like Oceanic-Marine is usually on the western side of continents north of the Mediterranean zone. This has largely to do with the way the general ocean currents flow; clockwise in the northern hemisphere and counter clockwise in the southern hemisphere. This means the eastern side of continents will have warmer water in summer and the western side will have colder water usually most of the year. This of course effects weather patterns and precipitation.

Generally speaking, you can make an educated guess where else in the world might have a similar climate to the eastern US. Of course any of the same climates in different places will always have some variation unique to a particular region but the overall weather patterns will be the same.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,160,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
The only country that is similar to strictly the east coast states (east of the Appalachian Mountains) is Japan, and Japan only. When you get west of the Appalachians, the climate becomes much more similar to the Korean Peninsula and China. The similarities with China stop at the Sierra Nevada mountains and west of the Sierra Nevada the climates become more similar to Europe (in particular to Spain, Portugal, and France)

Fabio, none of Europe is similar to the east coast USA. When it comes to climate, which side the ocean is in relation to you is very important and greatly influences the climate. In your country, the closest the climate is to the east coast US is Rio Grande do Sul to São Paulo (Miami or Key West)
Parts of SE Europe away from the coast are similar to the Northeast US. Sunshine is more similar to the east coast than northern Japan, however precipitation is much lower. Take a look here:

Bucharest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Northern Italy be an even better match:

Milan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Winter lows are too warm, but somewhere right on the Atlantic come could close.

Providence, Rhode Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are some spots of central Asia that might be a match. This place in Kazakhstan would be a better match to somewhere in the Midwest:

Almaty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the Sierra Nevada, I assume you're including the northward extension of the Cascades and BC/Alaska Coast Ranges. The intermontane areas of North America don't have much in common with China, as they typically have a winter precipitation max, not the summer one of China.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:38 PM

7,873 posts, read 10,227,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
No way! The UK and Ireland get tons of rain but not really that much snow. The lack of snow would disqualify them as being like the East coast. We don't get hot summers either.

the average temp during summer in Ireland is 15 degrees Celsius

the average temp during winter in Ireland is 7 degrees Celsius

it rains all year round

Old 11-17-2013, 02:50 PM

26,750 posts, read 22,256,191 times
File:World Koppen Map.png

....There!!!

Köppen climate classification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

( I knew I was studying it all somehow at school during Geography lessons)))

"Köppen's grandfather belonged to the cohort of German physicians that were invited to Russia by empress Catherine II to improve sanitation in the provinces, and later became a personal physician to the tsar. His father Peter Köppen was a noted geographer, historian and ethnographer of ancient Russian cultures, and an important contributor to intellectual exchanges between western European slavists and Russian scientists. Vladimir attended secondary school in Simferopol, Crimea and began his studies of botany in 1864 at the University of St. Petersburg. He frequently travelled to his family's estate on the Crimean coast from St. Petersburg, and to and from Simferopol, in the interior of the peninsula. The floral and geographical diversity of the Crimean peninsula, and the starker geographical transitions between the capital and his home, did much to awaken an interest in the relationship between climate and the natural world. In 1867, he transferred to the University of Heidelberg and defended his doctorate dissertation on the effects of temperature on plant growth at the University of Leipzig in 1870.'

( Just couldn't remember who the scientist was, but his name did ring me the bell..)

Wladimir Köppen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-17-2013, 03:02 PM

43,303 posts, read 43,983,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Does Northern Scotland get snow?

Old 11-17-2013, 03:14 PM

4,117 posts, read 5,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Does Northern Scotland get snow?
Eastern and central Scotland get more snow than where I live in the west. We get rain and sometimes snow which melts within a day - Gulf Stream. But Scotland certainly does not get 3 or 4 months straight of snow like in the US.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:26 PM

25,040 posts, read 27,802,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Parts of SE Europe away from the coast are similar to the Northeast US. Sunshine is more similar to the east coast than northern Japan, however precipitation is much lower. Take a look here:

Bucharest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Northern Italy be an even better match:

Milan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Winter lows are too warm, but somewhere right on the Atlantic come could close.

Providence, Rhode Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are some spots of central Asia that might be a match. This place in Kazakhstan would be a better match to somewhere in the Midwest:

Almaty - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the Sierra Nevada, I assume you're including the northward extension of the Cascades and BC/Alaska Coast Ranges. The intermontane areas of North America don't have much in common with China, as they typically have a winter precipitation max, not the summer one of China.
I forgot about eastern Europe I always lumped them in with the Do climate, but I can see that north of Greece the climate is Dca, just like the Northeast US. Pretty much seems like according to Trewartha, Dca in Europe is pretty much only Romania, Bulgaria, etc. that cluster of countries there.

Yep, I do include the Coast Ranges and the Cascades as well. But, I do agree with you on that regarding precip. China has a summer max while the western US has a winter max. But, when it comes to the Piedmont geographical region of the US, pretty much the only country that is anything at all similar to the Piedmont and Atlantic Coastal Plain is the northern half of Japan on the Pacific side, with the precip to match, but not the sunshine.

I thought this was interesting. It's a map by the University of Hawaii that shows where each location in the US east coast corresponds to in Japan. I think it's pretty accurately placed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Climate zones usually occur on the same sides of continents. The humid continental climate everyone is thinking of, occurs on the eastern side of North America so northern and eastern Asia are the best guesses I've read on here. It is usually situated north of the humid subtropical climate like that of the southeast and a good portion of China. Just like Oceanic-Marine is usually on the western side of continents north of the Mediterranean zone. This has largely to do with the way the general ocean currents flow; clockwise in the northern hemisphere and counter clockwise in the southern hemisphere. This means the eastern side of continents will have warmer water in summer and the western side will have colder water usually most of the year. This of course effects weather patterns and precipitation.

Generally speaking, you can make an educated guess where else in the world might have a similar climate to the eastern US. Of course any of the same climates in different places will always have some variation unique to a particular region but the overall weather patterns will be the same.
Here's a graphical representation of what you said

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather