Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 05:33 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
why is that surprising?
Because Boston is not a third world city, and people can afford AC. Maybe being close to ocean makes the summer nights more bearable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 05:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Because Boston is not a third world city, and people can afford AC. Maybe being close to ocean makes the summer nights more bearable.
Maybe some don't think it's worth the money? There are things I can afford that I wouldn't spend on, including A/C. I grabbed stats earlier, it was still rather high with 86% with A/C, but 2/3rds of that was room A/C, so it often be just the bedroom.

As mentioned earlier, many places in western Europe as hot or hotter than Boston A/C is not standard. In Hawaii, obviously hotter and stickier I think A/C ownership is at about 50%.

Old 01-22-2014, 04:06 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,748 times
Quote:
It's more likely because it's not a necessity. Why waste money on something you don't really need? As long as your home is well ventilated then you will be fine. If not, I guess fans or small AC units in bedrooms would suffice.
I lived in a much hotter City than Boston and I didn't have it, although some days it would've been nice lol!

Old 02-19-2016, 10:06 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,617,674 times
Not the northernmost, but I think the northernmost in terms of A/C density haha... most of the people who lives in Zaragoza (41º 39'N) has an A/C:

Official climate chart: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaragoza#Climate Very hot by the climate chart... but in the last years they have even an higher average, 35-36ºC (95/96,8F) now are many everyday maximums in July and August... with various days surpassing 39ºC (102,2F). The last time I visited Zaragoza I've noticed the quantity of A/C in the balconies of the people... Now I've made a quick Street View in some streets and OMG... I've counted 33 different A/C in the 1st street where I've put the Street View (not joking, and many people has the A/C in the interior windows/interior balcony of the buildings, so it's not visible from the outside and the recent houses/buildings have directly the A/C in the ceiling and the ground), this city can be called the Air Conditioner paradise.

The northernmost places where I've seen many AC in Spain are in Girona (42ºN) where many people have them, and in Bilbao (43º 15'N) some people have it too, but less than in Girona and nothing compared to Zaragoza. Bilbao's climate is Oceanic and the averages in August are 26.0ºC/78,8F during the day and 15.7ºC/60,3F during the night, but in the last 10 years August averages more than 28ºC/82,6F during the day and more than 17ºC/62,6F during the night; Bilbao is getting everytime warmer so it's only question of years to see tons of A/C in the city of Bilbao.

Last edited by ase42dv; 02-19-2016 at 10:17 PM..

Old 02-22-2016, 03:23 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,644,049 times
Southern BC at 51N averages close to 90F/32C in July, and thus A/C is very common. eg. Ashcroft and Lillooet.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:18 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
France, southern parts of England, central Germany, southern Sweden, western Russia...

Old 02-22-2016, 06:52 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
France, southern parts of England, central Germany, southern Sweden, western Russia...
Are you just listing random locations? There's a pretty significant latitude difference with all those locations.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:23 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Are you just listing random locations? There's a pretty significant latitude difference with all those locations.
Also A/C is not common here, only in shops and offices.. most homes do not have A/C in southern UK

Old 02-22-2016, 07:54 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,617,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Where? Why they should need it? I've never seen any A/C in Germany, Belgium or The Netherlands which wasn't on a shop/office/mall. In Southampton or Portsmouth the maximum averages in July are slightly below 22C, in Le Havre, at northernmost France, it's 21C; Le Mans or Paris which are more at the interior average 25C in the warmest month... A lot of those places have 23-24C maximums in July; in Goteborg, southermost Sweden, the max. avg. in July don't arrives to 23C. The only cities in Germany which surpass 25C in July and August are Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Mannheim and Karlsruhe (threefold Frankfurt, Mannheim and Karlsruhe slightly pass 25C, while Stuttgart has 26C), while the other most important German cities have some max. averages of 22/23/24C in July (I've checked +40 german cities).

France, yes, in the southernmost part, Marseille or Montpellier have hot summers. But UK, Germany or Sweden? Russia it has lots of A/C in the mid-west and specially south-west, that's totally true, even Samara with July averages of 26.9C and August averages of 24.9C is full of A/C! Moscow has also a lot because it had those last years very infrequent hot waves in the summer but their normal maximum average in their warmest month is 24C. In France I've seen some ones in Montpellier, I can't talk very much because in France I've only been in Montepellier for a short time and in Lyon (for more time in Lyon), and I've not seen any A/C in blocks or houses (Lyon has a warm/hot summer, averages in July and August are 27/27,5/28C). But it seems that hot waves are being more frequent year by year.

Last edited by ase42dv; 02-22-2016 at 08:14 PM..

Old 02-23-2016, 10:15 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Quote:
Boston gets really chilly during the nights even during the summer, so maybe that's why. In NYC summer nights would be unbearable without AC. Our lows during July-August are warmer than even in places like Chihuahua, Torreon, Mexico City, San Jose, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather