Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 11:50 AM

872 posts, read 1,263,115 times

Advertisements

Ulaanbaatar was the first thing that came to mind before I opened this thread. I knew it was cold -- didn't realize it was coldest! I came close to going there for a year of volunteering & teaching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 12:14 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
I don't think summer temperatures (and thus annual averages) are relevant.
When we say a place is cold, we usually only talk about its winter.

Old 11-17-2013, 08:30 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I guess. But there are places in the world that, while not bitterly cold in the winter (hovering around +5C), also rarely go above 20C in the summer. So sure, you're not freezing in the winter, but you also don't really get much real warmth at all during the year, even in summer.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:28 AM

287 posts, read 448,502 times
Quote:
Well, I actually think that the annual averages are the most relevant value when deciding which place is colder or hotter, while considering only winter averages is misleading. Otherwise I should conclude that Montreal is colder than Southern Greenland or the Antarctic Peninsula, despite the fact that in these two areas trees can't grow and snowfalls are seen in midsummer. Or that the Po plain in Northern Italy is colder than Iceland. Many other examples could be made.
That's also the same reason why I believe that it is incorrect to look only at the low (or high) temperatures, or the absolute maximums or minimums that are even more misleading.
It's obviously licit to wonder which place is colder in winter, but it must be specified. Otherwise I believe it should be assumed that the term is referred to the annual average.

Last edited by Troms; 11-18-2013 at 08:44 AM..

Old 11-18-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troms View Post
Well, I actually think that the annual averages are the most relevant value when deciding which place is colder or hotter, while considering only winter averages is misleading. Otherwise I should conclude that Montreal is colder than Southern Greenland or the Antarctic Peninsula, despite the fact that in these two areas trees can't grow and snowfalls are seen in midsummer. Or that the Po plain in Northern Italy is colder than Iceland. Many other examples could be made.
That's also the same reason why I believe that it is incorrect to look only at the low (or high) temperatures, or the absolute maximums or minimums that are even more misleading.
It's obviously licit to wonder which place is colder in winter, but it must be specified. Otherwise I believe it should be assumed that the term is referred to the annual average.
Well, I live in a place with four distinct seasons, so I really care about if the winter is cold or not. In such places, what plants can grow is pretty much determined by winter temperatures, because the summers are more or less the same.

Seattle has a lower annual mean than Beijing, but it does not make sense to say Seattle is colder than Beijing. In every winter, the lakes and rivers in Beijing are solid frozen and people skate there.

Maybe people from different places have different interpretations.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:15 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
Moscow, Helsinki, Oslo, and Ottawa

Old 11-18-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Well, I live in a place with four distinct seasons, so I really care about if the winter is cold or not. In such places, what plants can grow is pretty much determined by winter temperatures, because the summers are more or less the same.

Seattle has a lower annual mean than Beijing, but it does not make sense to say Seattle is colder than Beijing. In every winter, the lakes and rivers in Beijing are solid frozen and people skate there.
Yet again, the winter is only one season. Seattle is colder than Beijing overall because, though being milder in winter, it is distinctly cooler in all the other seasons. That also means that Seattle is colder than Beijing in more than half of the year. But many people choose to focus only on winters (just like many people focus only on summers to determine which place is hotter) and I don't understand why.

Last edited by Troms; 11-18-2013 at 11:34 AM..

Old 11-18-2013, 11:18 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Well, I actually think that the annual averages are the most relevant value when deciding which place is colder or hotter, while considering only winter averages is misleading. Otherwise I should conclude that Montreal is colder than Southern Greenland or the Antarctic Peninsula, despite the fact that in these two areas trees can't grow and snowfalls are seen in midsummer.
Goes both ways. Moscow has a colder mean temp than Oslo or Stockholm, but is warmer in summer

Old 11-18-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Goes both ways. Moscow has a colder mean temp than Oslo or Stockholm, but is warmer in summer
Yes. Colder, but with warmer summers.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Yes. Colder, but with warmer summers.
If someone is afraid of "cold", he'll definitely pick Seattle over Beijing to live in.
If someone is afraid of "hot", he'll definitely pick Seattle over Beijing to live in.
Two different questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather