Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2013, 10:11 PM

613 posts, read 1,161,776 times

Advertisements

I came across this concept reading about climate sometime ago, perhaps in a book, so I thought to look it up.

There is this idea about weather phenomena happening very regularly and reliably each year, around a certain time, sometimes to the level of predictability of even a week or two or on the scale of days. Some people argue that these are real but others think they're statistical flukes. I think it would be cool if they are real and would like to know more about possible causes.

Singularity (climate) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Singularities developed for the British Isles | Weather FAQs

For those of you familiar with climate and weather, what are your thoughts?

Do you know of any processes that might lead to consistent weather events to happen each year on this time scale? A lot of predictable climate phenomenon span the scale of months (eg. winters colder than summers obviously because of earth's tilt plus seasonal lag etc.) but can there be something deterministic enough to note on the scale of a week or days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 10:02 PM

613 posts, read 1,161,776 times
Does anyone know even just a bit about this? I'm still curious.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:41 AM

11,645 posts, read 12,841,227 times
We get more dry conditions (that bring bushfires and dust storms) early into spring in Sydney rather than in the actual hotter months of summer.

Does this count?

Last edited by Ethereal; 12-16-2013 at 05:55 AM..

Old 12-16-2013, 06:26 AM

8,161 posts, read 8,694,557 times
We have something similar to the January "thaw" in France. On average, the first week of February is warmer than the surrounding ones. It's the only time of year when the temperature curve reverses for more than a couple days. I wish I could find the graph (mean temperature in the whole country for each day of the year).

Just a supposition, maybe that has something to do with the frequent sudden stratospheric warmings (SSWs) that occur from mid-January on? The 65-90N mean temp at 50 hPa rises a lot ofter mid-Jan (green curve):
http://s3.amazonaws.com/dk-productio...gif?1358347725

Stratwarmings weaken the polar vortex. So, often, a week or two after a SSW, the zonal flow weakens, the jet stream buckles and cold air bleeds into lower latitudes. Meaning the return to colder conditions after a slight warming in mid-latitude locales? Or most likely not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather