Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 10:58 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,059,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
I just noticed that one of those places on the list is in California. On another note, for the hottest months in North America, 0.2% of weather stations are hottest in June (mostly in southwestern Texas), 88% are hottest in July, 11% are hottest in August, and 0.4% are in September (southern California and Hawaii).
California has extreme seasonal lag driven by pacific warming lag...hottest in September
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 11:41 AM

3,026 posts, read 3,644,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
California has extreme seasonal lag driven by pacific warming lag...hottest in September
Interestingly, northern California and up into Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia has no lag in the winter, and very little lag in the summer (Dec = coldest; July = hottest). Even places right on the coast are coldest in December.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:37 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,994,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
I've seen a couple, but sadly I forgot the many of them.

I remember one place so far, Marble Bar:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marble...tralia#Climate

It's a semi-arid, extremely hot town in the subtropics (close to the tropics though). The temps are the highest in late spring and early summer (Nov-Dec).
Seasonal lead is even stronger in the Kimberley, eg places like Kununurra and Fitzroy Crossing:

Kununurra Ap climate, averages and extreme weather records

Fitzroy Crossing Ap climate, averages and extreme weather records

Old 04-24-2014, 06:10 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,059,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
Interestingly, northern California and up into Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia has no lag in the winter, and very little lag in the summer (Dec = coldest; July = hottest). Even places right on the coast are coldest in December.
You need to factor in the rainy season and fog in the valleys in January/February

July is the hottest is no surprise

Old 04-24-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
You need to factor in the rainy season and fog in the valleys in January/February

July is the hottest is no surprise
December is both rainier and colder than January in Vancouver (for example).

Old 01-27-2015, 10:32 PM

104 posts, read 110,498 times
I was looking through this thread to try to find an answer to what causes a seasonal lead, and I can't find it (other than perhaps monsoons, but a number of these places have fairly even precipitation in their coldest months). How can you have your coldest day before the winter solstice? Or put another way, how can it be getting (slightly( warmer even though the days are still getting (slightly) shorter?

Old 01-27-2015, 11:27 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,276,071 times
Climates can't predict the future....

Old 01-27-2015, 11:48 PM

607 posts, read 648,541 times
This one I posted on the Antarctica/tropical island thread seems to have May as its coldest month (it's on the coast of Antarctica):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_Station

Though what initially caught my eye with it was the marked winter precipitation maximum, which is unusual for the polar regions.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:41 AM

750 posts, read 741,038 times
I'm very surprised that August and September aren't the hottest months in more locations. I guess Alaska screws that up. If I'm not mistaken, isn't Dallas' hottest month August?

Old 01-28-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Senf View Post
I'm very surprised that August and September aren't the hottest months in more locations. I guess Alaska screws that up. If I'm not mistaken, isn't Dallas' hottest month August?
Yes, August is the hottest month in Dallas, but this is not the case for most of the continent.

Let's start with Alaska. 90% of weather stations in Alaska are hottest in July while the remaining 10% are hottest in August. Those August weather stations are all along the coast below 60 degrees N.

100% of all weather stations in Canada and Alaska north of 60 are hottest in July.

As we move south the number of August hot spots increase. In BC 34% of weather stations are hottest in August, though this is mainly along the coast, though not exclusively. In Alberta, 3% of weather stations are warmest in August, represented by high elevation stations along the southern Rockies. All across the rest of Canada there aren't really any weather stations hotter in August until you get to the east coast. 20% of weather stations in the maritime provinces (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island) are hottest in August, and 79% of weather stations in Newfoundland & Labrador are hottest in August.

Leaving Canada behind, 47% of weather stations in Washington State, 32% in Oregon, and 33% in California are hottest in hottest in August. California has the added bonus of having 4% of weather stations being hottest in September (namely near the San Francisco area). California is the only state besides hawaii where some places are hottest in September. In Hawaii, only 5% of weather stations are hottest in July. This compares to 3% for June, 66% for August, and 27% for September.

You mentioned Texas, and that is a very interesting place because of the wide spread of hottest month. Yes, Dallas is hottest in August as are 56% of weather stations in that state, BUT 41% are hottest in July, and 3% are hottest in June. Outside of Texas, there is only one weather station in the entire continuous United States that is hottest in June, and that is in Florida. Florida is fairly evenly divided between July and August as to which month is hottest.

Throughout most of the rest of the USA July is the dominant hot month. For example, 100% of weather stations in New York State are hottest in July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather