Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 10:35 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,380 times

Advertisements

Here is proof that it can snow above 40 F (note July 16th)... Daily Data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 10:48 PM

623 posts, read 675,138 times
^Wow, snow in July at at 51N? Impressive.

Chris Burt from Weather Underground mentioned two freak summer snowfalls in the Great Lakes region: 8" in the middle of a hailstorm in July in Indiana, and a slushy 5" on August 8, 1882 accumulating on a boat in Lake Michigan.

Quote from the Indiana one:
page 3 of this pdf journals.iupui.edu/index.php/ias/article/download/5268/5199‎

Rarely the hail is so small as to closely resemble snow. A remarkable
summer snow storm in Indiana is worthy of mention here.
"The most remarkable warm season snowfall in Indiana occurred
on July 2, 1924, in Wabash county. There, with the temperature at the
nearest Weather Bureau Station nearly 70 degrees, during a hail storm,
snow fell to a depth of eight inches on a small area."
An account of this remarkable fall was published in the Bulletin
of the American Meteorological Society for August, 1924, and the
report was investigated by J. H. Armington, state director of the
United States Weather Bureau, Indianapolis, who was convinced of the
correctness of the report. This remarkable snowfall was associated
with a violent hailstorm which had a distinct tornado-like funnel. Hail
covered the ground for some distance around the patch of snow.

For the Lake Michigan one, it's page 100 here

Old 12-03-2013, 12:46 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
In reality, no, I don't think it can fall above 40 F but in my fake climate, it snows in the tropics. I made the fake climate before I learned to alter the wikipedia climate boxes but if anyone requests, I can create a wiki box for this climate; http://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...mperature.html
Please do. I would like to see table and especially the Celsius conversion (yes, I'm lazy at Googling the converts).

Old 12-03-2013, 08:29 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
At one point earlier this year I saw a huge batch of snowflakes fall when it was 42F; that was according to my car thermometer, a portable thermometer, and was confirmed by the official stations. The relative humidity was 30% at the time and obviously the cloudtops were much colder than the ground; partly due to evaporative cooling the temperature wetbulbed to around freezing within a few minutes and it accumulated half an inch much later. Still, the warmest I ever saw more than a couple of slushy flakes was 38F, and I thought significant snow above 40F was nigh-impossible prior to that incident, since the relative humidity would be low enough to preclude clouds and precipitation, but apparently a surface humidity of 30% is more than enough.

It is a fact that snow can fall at very mild temperatures if the conditions are just right. This nifty calculator calculates the temperature at which falling snow will melt under different humidities, and under the conditions I witnessed (42F/30%) snowflakes will certainly make it to the ground if the temperature is 42F or lower. I can't imagine clouds and precip forming with relative humidites much under 20% or so, which would raise the melting temperature to 46F at most. Under perfect conditions, there would be a slim chance for snow to make it at 49F. Beyond that there's no hope at all. 49F would certainly qualify as "warm snows".

Now, you can get small hail as high as around 80F or so, but I don't count hail as snow.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:29 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,688,800 times
It snowed at 7°C in May 2010. Surface temperatures aren't that important compared with what's going on upstairs.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:07 AM

336 posts, read 398,497 times
No

Old 12-03-2013, 10:38 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Yes for those living in Minnesota and North Dakota .

For them, anything above 35 F is bikini & trunks weather, and it has flurried here at those temperatures.

We are done with regards to snow this year, forecast predicts just cold rain from now on. UK climate has taken over .

Old 12-03-2013, 12:21 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
For snow there's needs to be colder air aloft so theoretically it can be 8c with very heavy snow if the upper atmospheric temperatures are low.

That's all I know.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:03 PM

827 posts, read 865,676 times
It "snowed" with around 4/5ºC (39/41ºF) here in 2006, of course there wasn't any accumulation. We only saw the little snowflakes in the air and they melted before falling to the ground.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:36 PM

140 posts, read 278,346 times
A hailstone is a block of ice. A snowflake is a thin layer of ice. If the snowflake falls through a layer of warm air it will melt. If a hailstone falls through a layer of warm air the outside will melt. If the hailstone is large enough, there will still be some ice by the time it reaches the ground. Much less likely for the snowflake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather