Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 11:50 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,889,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asagi View Post
Galveston Scholes Field (official weather station) has 0.0 ice days. Compare the freezes of the 80s, Galveston got down to 14F, St. Simon's recorded 6F. Deviation from the average low is about the same.

What location are they using for Galveston in coming up with this data:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 09:31 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,912,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
What location are they using for Galveston in coming up with this data:

They used the official recording station:
GALVESTON SCHOLES FLD (413431)
Monthly Frequencies
Number of Days with Maximum Temperature <= 32 degrees F
Years: 1981-2010

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Annual
Average 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0

NOWData - NOAA Online Weather Data

Also: Look closely at the numbers for the Savannah airport you posted. The annual average isn't added up correctly. There is .1 days for Jan, and .1 days for Dec, but the annual average is labeled as .1.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:00 PM

72,875 posts, read 62,373,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Charleston and Savannah are quite a bit higher in latitude than Houston and New Orleans. Charleston is at the same latitude as Shreveport. Why is the average high/low in Shreveport very close to Charleston averages, yet can grow no where near what Charleston can in term of subtropicals? I believe this is due to a higher standard deviation in temps in winter (inland and no mountains).
Also, you have to consider this. Shreveport is at a higher elevation too.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:11 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,912,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I do see some of your points…. but I think your trying to split the atom here in a climatic sense (lol).

Basically what the OP is doing.

I agree, if we take stations right on the coast - it’s likely warmer along the Texas Gulf Coast than along the South Carolina or Georgia coast – as they are further south a bit. However, the differences really are small. Can one really tell the difference between 1 to 3 F? If you lived in Brunswick, GA (42 F) and I lived near Bush ICA (42.5 F), would either one of us really notice any difference in sensible weather if we switched? The same can really be said for the January temp between Hobby (53.9 F) and Brunswick, GA (52.3 F).

And 1-3 degrees is the same difference between Austin/San-Antonio, and the coastal South Atlantic during the winter.

I also agree that the Louisiana coast (New Orleans) is a bit warmer than the coastal areas of South Carolina and Georgia. According to the data (and even my own experiences traveling in the Gulf/South Atlantic)…one has to reach St. Augustine, Florida before the winter lows/mean temps are warmer than anywhere along the north Gulf Coast (of course coastal places from Corpus Christi south to McAllen are still warmer than coastal places in northern Florida until you reach Melbourne).

In Texas, you don't even have to go all the way to Corpus. The Bay sector of Houston, all the way down to Galveston, has average winter low temps comparable to Daytona Beach, FL. (But Daytona has warmer daily highs in the winter)

Now where I greatly disagree (and I think this is Tom77’s point above)…is that all places in Texas and Louisiana (including coastal areas) see winter conditions that places like Savannah, Charleston, Brunswick, ...etc would never see. Despite being a bit further south – places along the Texas and Louisiana Gulf Coast see more continental winter conditions then places like south/coastal Georgia or even coastal South Carolina see:

Wrong. I'll give you inland cities in Texas, and Louisiana (Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, Shreveport, Alexandria, etc), but the coastal areas of Texas and Louisiana are relatively stable climatically, and definitely see a less continental winter than the South Atlantic. Charleston, Savannah, Brunswick, etc all have more frost/freeze, and winter weather than the coastal areas of Louisiana, and Texas.

Look at the records for extreme snowfall events: The record snowfall in Charleston, SC is 6.6 inches (12/22/1989)….in Savannah is 3.6 inches (12/8/1989)….in Brunswick, GA 3.0 inches (2/15/1895).

Yet in Galveston the record snowfall is 14 inches (2/14/1895) and in New Orleans the record snowfall is 14.4 inches (1/15/1909)…and Dallas 11.2 inches (2/10/2010).

Inland City.

Brunswick, GA : National Weather Service Climate
New Orleans: National Weather Service Climate
Houston/Hobby: National Weather Service Climate

I'm willing to suspect that such snowfall events get averaged into data. In that case, the South Atlantic receives more snowfall events than the Gulf

File:United states average annual snowfall.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

I guess my point is that while I agree that coastal areas of TX and LA might be warmer in terms of average lows/mean temps than coastal areas of Georgia and southern South Carolina...the difference is very small. Of more interest it seems - the Gulf coast and inland areas of the Gulf states can see more wintery weather than coastal GA/SC in terms of snow and cold, despite being further south than those areas.

Very, very wrong, especially considering the fact that the coastal South Atlantic gets more frost/freeze, has a shorter growing season, and receives more snowfall than even some inland cities in Texas, and Louisiana.

In terms of what grows where (palms/plants)….I’ve said it before, microclimates play a much bigger role than a few degrees difference between cities. I would not take the fact that one plant is seen in one area and not another as one of that much importance when their mean temps are not all that far apart. One other note – in terms of history, sugarcane was once grown in the Low Country of South Georgia and South Carolina. Remember, Georgia (not Louisiana) was the original sugarcane state in the USA. Back in 1825 Georgia gave Louisiana the seeds to plant:

The only point you made that actually is true.

12th paragraph:

19th Century Historical Tidbits: Sugar Cane in Georgia
My posts are in red. .

Old 06-04-2016, 01:16 AM

9 posts, read 6,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Now where I greatly disagree [/b](and I think this is Tom77’s point above)…is that all places in Texas and Louisiana (including coastal areas) see winter conditions that places like Savannah, Charleston, Brunswick, ...etc would never see. Despite being a bit further south – places along the Texas and Louisiana Gulf Coast see more continental winter conditions then places like south/coastal Georgia or even coastal South Carolina see:

Look at the records for extreme snowfall events: The record snowfall in Charleston, SC is 6.6 inches (12/22/1989)….in Savannah is 3.6 inches (12/8/1989)….in Brunswick, GA 3.0 inches (2/15/1895).

Yet in Galveston the record snowfall is 14 inches (2/14/1895) and in New Orleans the record snowfall is 14.4 inches (1/15/1909)…and Dallas 11.2 inches (2/10/2010).

Brunswick, GA : [url=http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=jax]National Weather Service Climate[/url]
New Orleans: [url=http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=lix]National Weather Service Climate[/url]
Houston/Hobby: [url=http://www.nws.noaa.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=hgx]National Weather Service Climate[/url]

I guess my point is that while I agree that coastal areas of TX and LA might be warmer in terms of average lows/mean temps than coastal areas of Georgia and southern South Carolina...the difference is very small. Of more interest it seems - the Gulf coast and inland areas of the Gulf states can see more wintery weather than coastal GA/SC in terms of snow and cold, despite being further south than those areas.
Snow in and of itself isn't an indication of continentality; if anything, it shows just how much moisture there is in the air, just that the atmosphere is cold enough to induce snow.

The Gulf Coast remains quite moist during winter, while the South Atlantic is drier; the drier winter conditions in the South Atlantic means that there is less of a chance of "ocean-effect" snow if a cold system where to come through. This is probably the cause of the high totals on the Gulf Coast vs the South Atlantic. Of course, you can't discount events that may have happened before official weather record (like, from 1800-1860, for instance). Besides, it can snow without the temps even being at freezing.

But, the South Atlantic Coast is most continental than the Gulf Coast; coastal SC and GA can easily get down into the teens; places on the Gulf Coast do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather