Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Climate Battle: Portland, OR Vs. Hamburg
Portland, OR 17 68.00%
Hamburg, Germany 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 01:17 PM

233 posts, read 332,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orai View Post
I downloaded hourly precipitation data from 1995-2013 for Hamburg-Fuhlsbüttel.
11.7 % of the time recorded some kind of precipitation.

But I don't know how to get Excel to formate a number like 1995090509 (yyyy-mm-dd-hh) to time and date, so analyzing seasonal patterns or calculating averages would be quite time-consuming.
How did you get the German data on Hamburg and Frankfurt? Can you post the website for me please? I am curious to see Munich because I have the impression it rains much more down there..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 05:24 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,267,510 times
Portland. More sunshine.

Does Hamburg get that much snow anyway ? Plus Portland is close to mountain areas so if you want to see snow in winter it mustn't be that difficult.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:41 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,500,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon-9 View Post
How did you get the German data on Hamburg and Frankfurt? Can you post the website for me please? I am curious to see Munich because I have the impression it rains much more down there..
hourly precipitation data:
ftp://ftp-cdc.dwd.de/pub/CDC/observa...on/historical/

This file is München-Stadt: stundenwerte_RR_03379_19540601_20131231_hist.zip

(http://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...rd-data-4.html)

Old 09-19-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon-9 View Post
btw, Munich has 1142 hours of precipitation according to my calculation.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:39 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,629,346 times
Quote:
Do you know how these numbers are calculated, i.e. if it rains from 3.59 pm to 4.01 pm does it count as two minutes of rain or two hours (i.e. from 3 to 4 pm and 4 to 5 pm)?

If Wiki is correct Munich gets 129.4 rain days a year, so for that 1142 to be accurate it would need to rain for nine hours every rainy day, even though Munich has a summer rainfall peak (presumably from short, heavy thunderstorms). Considering that even the really wet and bleak parts of Scotland supposedly only get 900 rain hours a year or so I can't believe we count rain hours the same way.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:42 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,355,519 times
How are rain hours calculated in the UK?

Old 09-19-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Do you know how these numbers are calculated, i.e. if it rains from 3.59 pm to 4.01 pm does it count as two minutes of rain or two hours (i.e. from 3 to 4 pm and 4 to 5 pm)?

If Wiki is correct Munich gets 129.4 rain days a year, so for that 1142 to be accurate it would need to rain for nine hours every rainy day, even though Munich has a summer rainfall peak (presumably from short, heavy thunderstorms). Considering that even the really wet and bleak parts of Scotland supposedly only get 900 rain hours a year or so I can't believe we count rain hours the same way.
I suppose it counts as two hours if it rains from 3.59 pm to 4.01 pm. So I should rather say "1142 hourly intervals with precipitation" or something

Old 09-19-2014, 12:54 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,629,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't know for certain as they are so rarely quoted.

The only breakdown I've ever seen of rain hours is an unofficial site in Hampstead (though it seems to get a lot of its data from the official one, so it seems very trustworthy to me). This is 2012 in Hampstead, a particularly wet year. It gives data down to increments of a tenth of an hour, though curiously only for totals under one hour. Looking at the very wet April and June in particular that I can remember well those numbers just look realistic considering what I experienced living there.

A lot of days in April 2012 were very showery with up to 15 different showers falling all through the day, so they would have given very different results measuring per minute of rain falling and measuring per hour with some rainfall recorded.

NW3 Weather - Annual Data Reports

Old 09-28-2014, 12:45 PM

233 posts, read 332,679 times
Quote:
Aha more hours for Munich!
Hamburg has always the reputation for being the German city with the most rain (in terms of days or hours). As I lived in both cities, few people believed me that Munich gets more rainy periods than Hamburg. The statistics you made showed I am right .

However though Munich gets more rain, it gets more sun than Hamburg (at least in fall and winter). I guess Hamburg has it more cloudy than sunny + rainy.

Also one thing I noticed about Hamburg: once it starts to rain, it rarely stops quickly, even in summer.
This is for instance not true for Munich for all seasons except late spring/early summer (lang anhaltender Regen is the German expression that defines steady rain which stretches over days). This is caused by the low pressure systems that are during this time of the year located in the Balkan area and provide Bavaria and Saxony a lot of humidity rain and cause flooding of the major rivers (Danube, Elbe ...).

Hamburg however is more stormy in fall (October through beginning December) with strong winds and rain, known here as "Schmuddelwetter".. Munich is in fall calmer and is known to have some nice 20C temperatures as far as late October (Föhn effect).

Old 09-28-2014, 12:49 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,807,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Divide the actual total by 10.

Or at least it seems it going by how some posters exaggerate the dryness of this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather