Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more likely in San Francisco?
Daytime high of 70 F + on Fourth of July 33 67.35%
Daytime high of 70 + on Christmas Day 16 32.65%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 05:14 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times

Advertisements

Downtown San Francisco at least is clearly warmer in July than December, and has a much higher record high. Maybe the situation is different in more fog-prone areas of the city - some stats would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 05:16 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Can the moderators do something about these bloody threads!? They are pushing all the popular threads away from the main page.
I've enjoyed warm Nov. and Dec. months in San Francisco, my vote, Xmas is warmer. By the way, it was your post encouraged me to respond, moving your popular threads further away from the main page.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:33 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Downtown San Francisco at least is clearly warmer in July than December, and has a much higher record high. Maybe the situation is different in more fog-prone areas of the city - some stats would be helpful.
As I said above, there is a big difference between the weather in places like Potrero Hill, Noe Valley, etc, vs the outer Sunset & Richmond districts. I lived in the Sunset for a while, and would have had trouble telling you the month based on weather alone. Just to give folks an idea of our fog situation, here are a couple of photos I dug up from Photobucket:

San Bruno/SSF area (just south of the city) in early spring

Don't remember the exact month, but this was probably late summer in my old neighborhood

Old 12-14-2013, 05:45 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times
Sorry to say, but SF "summers" just don't suit my idea of summer. If it has a true summer, I expect to feel warmth. At least a high of 75 F with sunshine or 80 F and overcast is my minimum break point for summer like weather.

With that Said, I do agree that SF is equally likely and capable of both conditions regardless of summer or winter. It is a tempered marine climate without much seasonal variations. I lived in such a location with a tropical climate for 13 years (Chennai, India), and often November is colder than January and September is much hotter than August though that's not what the averages show (the fun thing is, it has year round tank top weather ). Trust my word for it, you need to live there to actually know what goes on, not just rely on the averages.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:28 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post

Ahhh, I see you live in AUSTRALIA. So unless you're originally from the Bay Area, or have spent extended periods of time here, how do you get off telling us what the weather's like?
Because, SIMPLE STATISTICS. We don't need to live there to know that it's more likely to hit a warmer temperature in a warmer month than a colder month. WE KNOW that San Fran has cool summers. Nobody is disputing that here. We KNOW you'll go into shivering fits if you stand on the beach in the summer. Nobody is disputing that. But the simple fact is that San Francisco is more likely to hit 70 in July than in December. Why? Because look at this link:

Graphical Climatology of San Francisco: (1921

The standard deviation is lowest in December and highest in June. When both the mean and standard deviation are low in a certain month, it's not rocket science to figure out that it's not likely to hit 70 F in that month, which happens to be December. The fact that it's foggy and chilly doesn't change statistical probability one bit.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:45 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Does it really take the 3 pages to find the answer to the question?

In fog-prone (near coast) Richmond:

0.26 days / December
1.36 days / July

In case you're wondering whether being near the edge of the month makes a difference, Jan is 0.45 days, July is 1.58.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Note if the OP had picked a date in late February and compared it the Fourth of July, it would have been very close.

However, if you look at warmer San Francisco station the difference is more obvious.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
Jacket at over 50 F / 10 C? The hassle of having to deal with a jacket indoors at those temperatures far outweighs the need for a jacket. If anything, 50s F is comfortable T-shirt weather.

But that's just me.
I don't think most people wear T-shirts indoors. What makes you think you won't need a jacket indoors, too? San Francisco tends not to heat its buildings much.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:13 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't think most people wear T-shirts indoors. What makes you think you won't need a jacket indoors, too? San Francisco tends not to heat its buildings much.
Jackets indoors are too hot for me. I've been known many times to think "it's fine" when temperatures are cold. I deal with cold very well I've even wore short sleeves at 17 F / -8 C outside for two minutes, felt like hell but I was fine when I got in. This is in Tennessee.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:23 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,927,543 times
During the winter, I set the thermostat to 59 F (15 C) except in the bedroom which is set at 52 F (11 C). I sleep with nothing on except shorts, and I use two medium sized blankets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather