Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think the climate of North America should be modified with technology in the future?
Yes 15 26.79%
No 41 73.21%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 04:26 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,152,650 times

Advertisements

Perturb the jet stream angle such that its further east of the NYC area and Nullify the ocean moderating effect completely. I want to see the Hudson river near NYC Freeze over completley every year and stay icebound for the entire month of January. Additionally, the average winter high should be 21 F and low should be 9 F in January. July, will have an average high of 79 F and low of 54 F. Arctic winters slam year after year without fail, leading to very cold lows and up to 90" of snow per season. That would make me much happier .

Old 12-23-2013, 07:02 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,906,188 times
I can see it now when this thing is ever built in the future; no tornadoes, no cold snaps, tropical jungles in the Deep South, etc.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think the Americas as a whole as well as Antarctica should be shifted 10 degrees further south in latitude. That would solve a lot of the problem with cold air masses mixing as the Canadian north would be more maritime and lead to more moderation on the great plains. Places like OK City at 25N would be a true subtropical climate without severe cold snaps.
Won't that make South America colder? But, I do agree, so many problems with the continent could be solved. The way it is presently, over half the continent is unlivable (or unbearable).

Old 12-23-2013, 09:56 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,618,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Won't that make South America colder? But, I do agree, so many problems with the continent could be solved. The way it is presently, over half the continent is unlivable (or unbearable).
It would make part of South America colder but a large chunk of the continent would still be tropical or subtropical. The amount of landmass that would suffer negatively would be quite small compared with how a large chunk of north america would benefit. In this scenario, you could practice agriculture in places like the Northwest Territories, Yukon and even in parts of Nunavut in Canada. Something which is impossible in North Americas current configuration.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
It would make part of South America colder but a large chunk of the continent would still be tropical or subtropical. The amount of landmass that would suffer negatively would be quite small compared with how a large chunk of north america would benefit. In this scenario, you could practice agriculture in places like the Northwest Territories, Yukon and even in parts of Nunavut in Canada. Something which is impossible in North Americas current configuration.
That's true.

It would be interesting if such a project was shown on Mega-engineering. Maybe the organization of DARPA can pick it up, and draw something up. The design robot cheetahs after all.

A thing the hypothetical scenario would solve is cold-snaps that can reach even the Deep-South. I mean, no-one would ever think that a place like this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...512-swamp1.jpg

would ice over and freeze in a bad cold snap. But due to North America's geography, it can. And the cold snap can be so bad, not even the [i]native plant species[/I,] you know, species that evolved for millions of years on the continent, can survive the record cold snaps down to the single digits. The geography is a huge epic fail. Yep, God designed this continent for the strongest of the strong.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:40 PM

1,218 posts, read 1,502,091 times
I'm going to have a nightmare about this tonight

Old 12-23-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcrash619 View Post
I'm going to have a nightmare about this tonight
Why so?

Old 12-23-2013, 11:35 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,586,312 times
Quote:
The entire area between the Rockies and the Appalachians is completely unlivable due to the intense climate extremes. The only areas in the U.S. with stables climates are areas west of the Rockies (like San Diego and San Francisco), the Gulf Coast (like Houston, and New Orleans), and areas east of the Appalachians ( NYC, Boston, Miami). Not even the animals (and the plants) can survive the hundreds of tornadoes, blizzards, hailstorms, and deep freezes that result from N. Americas accursed geography. Climate modification will be the best thing to ever happen to North America.

I don't know what's funnier - the joke, or the fact that so many people seem to think the OP is actually serious. It's going to be fun to see how long he can keep this going and how many people he can suck in.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:02 AM

11,645 posts, read 12,856,864 times
Quote:
The entire area between the Rockies and the Appalachians is completely unlivable due to the intense climate extremes. The only areas in the U.S. with stables climates are areas west of the Rockies (like San Diego and San Francisco), the Gulf Coast (like Houston, and New Orleans), and areas east of the Appalachians ( NYC, Boston, Miami). Not even the animals (and the plants) can survive the hundreds of tornadoes, blizzards, hailstorms, and deep freezes that result from N. Americas accursed geography. Climate modification will be the best thing to ever happen to North America.
Dunno about the climate modification part, but I agree that most of America is unlivable due to its freezes, tornadoes, extreme continental/humid climates and the hot dry desert areas to the southwest.

The northern parts of the East Coast (New York, Boston, Washington and Philadelphia) have a gloomy climate - hot wet summers and cold snowy winters. Not nice at all.

The southern parts (Charlotte, Atlanta and Savannah) have hot humid summers and relatively cool winters. Again, too much variation between summer and winter - not for me. Myrtle Beach is alright though, if not a little hot and humid.

The midwest (Chicago, Detroit, St Louis) is like the east coast, but more extreme. Hot humid summers, cold bitter winters - One of the worst climates in the world IMO.

The central-south (Dallas, Houston and Austin) at least have mild winters, but their summers are disgusting. Too bad.

The far-south east (Miama, Tampa and Orlando) are just too tropical for my taste - Overall hot and humid, despite a slight relief in the winter.

The northwest (Seattle and Portland) are overall better than the above due to their mildly warm summers and mildly cool winters, but their winters are still too cool and the climate is overall cloudy.

Only a small portion of America has the perfect climate for me - that is far west, or the south west coast - Los Angeles, San Diego (excluding San Francisco).

Last edited by Ethereal; 12-24-2013 at 12:23 AM..

Old 12-24-2013, 02:39 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,738,068 times
No, human never change the climate in the future, i love the diversified climate in the united state, i love the great heat wave, the storm, I want to chasse the beautiful storm in the united state.
I hate the climate modification, leave the climate has it is, the subtropical forest in the south is just one of the most beautiful natural forest in the world.
And human never change the climate !
Change the climate is bad for the animals, natural forest, ecosystem and i love the humid subtropical climate and humid continental climate with hot summer.
South coast of California has the most boring climate in the United State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather