Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Gulf Coast paradise do you prefer?
Tampa 20 46.51%
New Orleans 9 20.93%
They are both rubbish 14 32.56%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 11:56 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,408,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
Ah. so high temps should be a bit lower too.

My guess would be that since NOLA Airport is 91 F, Audubon Park would be 91.5 F, and Downtown New Orleans would be 92 F in August. Lows from Airport 75 F, to Audubon Park 76 F, to Downtown NO 77 F
Here's Audubon Park 1981-2010. 92.4F.

There was always a notable disparity between the stations but even more pronounced in the last decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 12:59 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,458,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Here's Audubon Park 1981-2010. 92.4F.

There was always a notable disparity between the stations but even more pronounced in the last decade.
That changes things then.

Considering that downtown New Orleans isn't as big, busy, nor as crowded as other urban centers I'm guessing the UHI the factories and shipyards create near Audubon Park is more or the same as UHI downtown NO generates. Because I really doubt downtown New Orleans summer highs are above 93 F

Old 02-04-2015, 05:35 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,223,088 times
hard to pick, because it's really not my kinda climate...

Providing I would wear technical clothing and shorts to prevent too much stickiness (I would remain drenched in sweat most of the year) and use A/C at home, I would probably give a D+ / C- to both

I think I prefer New Orleans because at least it has something that's similar to a winter, but Tampa has the beach, so I don't know...

Old 02-04-2015, 11:10 PM

680 posts, read 644,416 times
Both are way too hot and humid in the summers, miserable... New Orleans wins because it has a few "cool" months.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:32 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,776,111 times
New Orleans is just too wet. Cold wet winters, look at how much rain they get in the winter compared to Tampa and almost as wet summers as Tampa. I think I would be outside a lot more in Tampa, especially in the winter.

However, New Orleans' charms are not its weather, thankfully. It's good food, great architecture, walkable downtown core, and history excite me in any season.

For this battle though, Tampa.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:37 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,776,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Those summers in New Orleans are roasting further into the city! Can there really be this much difference?

Here is the Audubon station next to the shipyards:
This is because the Mississippi River has a cooling effect on the city. Also, the inland locations are up to 20 feet below sea level, so you get a downsloping type warm-up effect. The average temp of the MS River in winter is slightly above freezing (like 38 degrees). However, Lake Pontchartrain is usually in the 50's and 60's even in the dead of winter as is the Gulf. So a City Park station would have warmer temps year round. That's because the MS River is basically all melted water from up north and it's so deep that the cool water is effectively transported. The water stays cold until at least May and is slightly cooler than the surrounding water in summer as well due to the same effect. A hint is if you want a breeze in New Orleans then head to the river.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:12 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,900,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post

not again...

New Orleans like the rest of the south is extremely prone to freezing temperatures multiple times each winter, thats its natural climatic state, its not natural for New Orleans to see nothing but 80s and 70s in winter and go an entire winter without temps in the 30s. NO's natural climate gives it cool winters with extreme proneness to freezes.
The South only appears to somehow be "extremely prone" to freezes compared to other subtropical regions because of the Cold Epoch phenomenon that is influencing the weather in Eastern North America, causing the period of colder than normal temps, and stronger arctic outbreaks than normal. There is no scientific literature, encyclopedias, or other such sources that support/uphold the claim that the subtropical climate of the South is much more prone to cold than any other subtropical region in the world. Only you amateur climatologists on this forum would have the audacity to invent such a preposterous claim.

With that said, even under the Cold Epoch though, upper 60s and 70s are quite common in New Orleans, and the rest of the Coastal South during winter. The freezes, if they do manifest, are usually light, usually following the clearing of skies after a front, and last only for a handful of hours in the wee parts of the day, followed by quick warm-ups under the sun by afternoon to mild, pleasant levels. That actually perpetuates the survival of tropical vegetation in the Coastal South, even when the occurrence of freezes can fool people into believing otherwise.

In the metro area of New Orleans, especially the delta areas around the Gulf, one can witness the occurrence of mangrove tree ecosystems with quite large coverage. Such mangrove tree ecosystems line the entire Coastal South, up to even Georgia. The very existence of such tropical trees existing in the natural ecosystem of the South is quite indicative of the natural warmth.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:26 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,256,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Such mangrove tree ecosystems line the entire Coastal South, up to even Georgia. The very existence of such tropical trees existing in the natural ecosystem of the South is quite indicative of the natural warmth.
WRONG!! Please provide a map of any mangrove species' distribution lining the entire coast of the South.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:39 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,900,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
WRONG!! Please provide a map of any mangrove species' distribution lining the entire coast of the South.
Avicennia germinans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The black mangrove (Avicennia germinans), is a species of flowering plant in the acanthus family, Acanthaceae.[2] It grows in tropical and subtropical regions of the Americas, on both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts, and on the Atlantic coast of tropical Africa, where it thrives on the sandy and muddy shores that seawater reaches. It is common throughout coastal areas of Texas and Florida, and ranges as far north as southern Louisiana and coastal Georgia in the United States.
Avicennia germinans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-06-2015, 12:17 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,423,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
The South only appears to somehow be "extremely prone" to freezes compared to other subtropical regions because of the Cold Epoch phenomenon that is influencing the weather in Eastern North America, causing the period of colder than normal temps, and stronger arctic outbreaks than normal. There is no scientific literature, encyclopedias, or other such sources that support/uphold the claim that the subtropical climate of the South is much more prone to cold than any other subtropical region in the world. Only you amateur climatologists on this forum would have the audacity to invent such a preposterous claim.
On the other hand, there is no scientific literature that upholds the claim that the US South is in fact undergoing a "Cold Epoch" or that its natural climactic state is one which is completely devoid of extreme cold snaps and occasional freezes.

Since you're the only one who claims that this Cold Epoch is real, and since the US South currently does undergo many cold snaps, the burden of proof is on you (not us) to show that this Cold Epoch is real and not some made up fantasy.

Hence, show us some real peer-reviewed literature that supports your Cold Epoch claim instead of arrogantly deriding us as "amateur climatologists" when you are presumably a non-professional yourself. I'm talking about actual literature on past atmospheric and climactic states, not Wikipedia maps of places where tropical plants grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather