Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 09:30 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,908,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Humid subtropical climate zones also get very hot summers and quite freezing winters (they beat the Mediterranean climate with their colder winters). So that wasn't a good reason.

Okay, maybe there is more winter rain. But HS climates also have considerable amount of rainfall in the winter.
Which Humid Subtropical environments are you talking about? All of them across the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 09:48 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,873,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think they are overrated. Somehow, I have a feeling Europeans think visiting the Med is like Americans visiting the Caribbean or Mexico. It's not, lol. The warmest cities in Spain are only 60-65 degrees in winter with mixed rain and sun; versus Mexican hotspots that are 80-90 degrees in the dry season

I don't think they are overrated if you like summer sunshine and warmth. I think they are overrated for winter warmth. Nights are too cool in winter, and days are chilly. The warmest parts of the Med in winter (at least the Euro part) are not all that warm. I think 60-65F is pushing it. The warmest parts like Cyprus avg Jan highs of 61-63F, with nights in the 40'sF. Hardly balmy. But at least you get a taste of cool winter weather followed by a sunny warm summer.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:03 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,547,782 times
They okay, but certainly not my favourite -too dry in summer.

I hadn't heard that Med climates were that bad for allergies. A new neighbour from the south of France, is unhappy with the pollen here, and said it wasn't a problem for him back there. I would think it's worse in climates, wherever plants are flowering the most.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:17 PM

11,645 posts, read 12,868,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Which Humid Subtropical environments are you talking about? All of them across the world?
Most of them. Especially those in Europe and North America.

New York has hot summers and freezing winters with high amount of rainfall.

Charleston and Savannah have very hot summers and cool winters (with heavy rain not being uncommon).

Old 12-26-2013, 10:33 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,262,798 times
Quote:
I think they are overrated. Somehow, I have a feeling Europeans think visiting the Med is like Americans visiting the Caribbean or Mexico. It's not, lol. The warmest cities in Spain are only 60-65 degrees in winter with mixed rain and sun; versus Mexican hotspots that are 80-90 degrees in the dry season
They're overrated if you expect them to be the tropics. I don't. If you actually want a season of 60 degree weather (or jacket weather mixed some T-shirt days) then they're not overrated at all. By December, I've gotten used to cold weather so much, 60-65 degrees seems like enough to me.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

No comment is needed.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:38 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,908,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
Most of them. Especially those in Europe and North America.

New York has hot summers and freezing winters with high amount of rainfall.

Charleston and Savannah have very hot summers and cool winters (with heavy rain not being uncommon).
What about the subtropical climates of Asia like Shanghai, and New Delhi?

Also, NYC is borderline continental/subtropical. And Charleston/Savannah look like this:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...e-oaks-sc1.jpg

Old 12-26-2013, 10:38 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,842,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I don't think they are overrated if you like summer sunshine and warmth. I think they are overrated for winter warmth. Nights are too cool in winter, and days are chilly. The warmest parts of the Med in winter (at least the Euro part) are not all that warm. I think 60-65F is pushing it. The warmest parts like Cyprus avg Jan highs of 61-63F, with nights in the 40'sF. Hardly balmy. But at least you get a taste of cool winter weather followed by a sunny warm summer.
I don't know I mean; Valencia, Spain's forecasts are usually in the 60-65 range. Sometimes high 50s. But, yes, I was specifically referring to the winter season, as Spain is a popular winter destination for Brits and other northern Europeans. I just have to laugh at a Brit I know, showing off he was ecstatic of going to Benidorm when it was 60 degrees and sunny, treating it like he was going to the Caribbean, lol. I rubbed it in his face (in a friendly way, of course), that he pays $200 to go enjoy cold water, mild weather, and sunny skies. I paid $300 give or take to go enjoy 85 degrees and warm water. We're spoiled like that (Canadians too)

Old 12-26-2013, 10:40 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,842,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
No comment is needed.
Where's this?

Old 12-26-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
I don't know I mean; Valencia, Spain's forecasts are usually in the 60-65 range. Sometimes high 50s. But, yes, I was specifically referring to the winter season, as Spain is a popular winter destination for Brits and other northern Europeans. I just have to laugh at a Brit I know, showing off he was ecstatic of going to Benidorm when it was 60 degrees and sunny, treating it like he was going to the Caribbean, lol. I rubbed it in his face (in a friendly way, of course), that he pays $200 to go enjoy cold water, mild weather, and sunny skies. I paid $300 give or take to go enjoy 85 degrees and warm water. We're spoiled like that (Canadians too)
about how I felt going to San Francisco. Weather was better at 60-65 for bicycling anyway, 85 would have been annoying, especially with the frequent lack of shade:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...thread-12.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather