Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these three warm climates would you prefer?
Singapore 3 7.32%
Honolulu, Hawaii 19 46.34%
Orlando, Florida 19 46.34%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2013, 10:04 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,886,388 times

Advertisements

Which of these three climates do you prefer?

A) Singapore: Year round heat, humidity, and lots of warm rain! Tropical rainforest climate with an urban heat island effect. Unlike tropical monsoon climates, there is no "dry season" to offer relief from the humidity. All time record low is around room temperature!. A good deal of sunshine due to most of the heavy rain coming in downpours and thunderstorms. Only relief from the year round heat and humidity is going indoors in the AC although walking around in the tropical downpours and getting drenched might serve as an outdoor cool off as well.

Singapore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

B) Honolulu: Year round warm but not hot weather. Moderate humidity and a very modest amount of rainfall for a tropical climate. Slightly cooler winter than summers with the possibility of an occasional winter night in the upper 50s F/15 C. Slightly "wetter" winters than summers but rarely heavy rain; mostly a few days of warm rain showers each month with lots of sunshine as well. Due to rain shadow affect and moderate humidity, nearby hills get a lot more rain and things still stay lush and green year round. Thunderstorms are rare (very unusual for a tropical climate). Trade winds keep things from getting too hot which is also different from most tropical climates. Very comfortable beach, shorts, and sandals weather year round but year round warm nights require AC for comfortable sleeping IMO.

Honolulu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

C) Orlando: On the warm end of subtropical with very hot, humid, and rainy summers with awesome thunderstorms. Rain almost every day in peak summer. Still lots of sunshine in summer due to most of the rain coming as intense, brief, afternoon downpours, some can be quite severe. Most winter days are dry and mild and very comfortable (highs low 70s and lows low 50s F (22 C/11 C) but you still get a few storms bringing a modest amount of rain even during the "dry" season. Also prone to a cold snaps bringing subfreezing nights and chilly days at least a couple of times each winter. Once every 10 years, a severe cold snap will come bringing nighttime lows lower than 25 F (-4 C) and daytime highs stuck in the lower 40s F (5-7 C) for a day or two. Snow accumulation is possible but it would be a once in a lifetime event. Cold snaps are by far the exception rather than the rule so for practical purposes, the average winter day is around room temperature and sunny with low humidity during daylight hours.

Orlando, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by AdriannaSmiling; 12-29-2013 at 10:36 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 10:58 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,268,346 times
Honolulu easily.

Very good...for tropical climate

Old 12-29-2013, 11:09 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
Honolulu no question. Singapore is just too sultry and not sunny enough. Orlando summers are brutal, and the winter cold snaps are not to my liking (but I love the monsoons).

Old 12-29-2013, 11:28 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,696,046 times
Honolulu all the way! One of the best tropical climates. Now if you had Singapore temps with Honolulu sunshine and rainfall levels that would be the best

Old 12-29-2013, 11:33 AM

If Honolulu got more thunderstorms, like Orlando, it would be even more perfect.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:37 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,450,270 times
Orlando hands down for the variety and best thunderstorms.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:47 AM

Despite the oppressive summer humidity, I'd still pick Orlando for having the most seasonality but it would be better if their summer temperatures were like Honolulu's while keeping the thunderstorms. Keep winters the same (mostly comfortable but occasional cold snaps for variety).

I know I'm not supposed to take this into consideration since we're strictly going based on climate but I'd LOVE living right next to all those world class theme parks but I'd visit them mostly in winter (non cold snap days) and the water based ones in late spring and early fall. I'd spend those steamy summers indoors in the AC watching the lightning shows from my window.

I've been to both Florida and Hawaii beaches and it's a draw for me: both have warm water and white sparkling sand. Hawaii has better scenery but Florida offers both the choices of the calm Gulf waters and more active surf of the Atlantic coast (both easy day trips from Orlando).

Old 12-29-2013, 11:55 AM

Hawaii, too, offers calm water (Kailua, Waikiki, Lanikai) as well as active surf. Plus, warmer year-round water, better coastal scenery, and more different-colored sand (green, red, pink, black, gold).
Beaches from all locales:
Singapore:

Florida:

Hawaii:

Old 12-29-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Hawaii, too, offers calm water (Kailua, Waikiki, Lanikai) as well as active surf. Plus, warmer year-round water, better coastal scenery, and more different-colored sand (green, red, pink, black, gold).
Beaches from all locales:
Singapore:

Florida:

Hawaii:

But does it require air or sea travel to visit a diverse range of beaches? I enjoy the beaches on Oahu a great deal and found both quieter inlets as well as more active surf but the sand looked pretty much the same. OTOH, Clearwater Beach on the Gulf Coast and Coco Beach on the Atlantic coast had two completely different vibes for me. I found the Floridian beaches a lot quieter (foot trafficwise) than the Hawaiian Beaches but it could have been cuz I visited Florida during in September which has the least tourists (due to schools starting and peak hurricane season) and I visited Hawaii during president's day week.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:50 PM

Yup, the Big Island has the more diverse sand. Oahu sand is usually gold, like Waikiki, or white, like Kailua-Lanikai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather