Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 11:45 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times

Advertisements

Until you clicked on this post, which city did you think has the hotter summers? Be honest

Saskatoon's JJA average is 17.3, while London's JJA average is 17.65.

Now answer this honestly - does this come as a surprise to you?

Note: Keeping in mind that London is more humid, and urban London has a much bigger heat island effect, it can be said that summers in London feel significantly hotter than those in Saskatoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 11:50 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,885,512 times
I would have guessed the Canadian prairies due the fact the London has the reputation for being oceanic, meaning cool to mild summers. I'm surprised but I don't think humidity has much affect when temperatures are in that range; it has to be 80 F (26 C) + to really feel the difference. A humid 72 F (22 C) isn't going to feel much different from a dry 72 F (22 C).

Old 12-31-2013, 11:50 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,748 times
Saskatoon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looking at these links, Saskatoon would definitely feel warmer, as it is! More sunshine and higher temperatures kind of answers the original question.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Saskatoon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

London - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looking at these links, Saskatoon would definitely feel warmer, as it is! More sunshine and higher temperatures kind of answers the original question.
Those are the links I used. Look again. London is warmer. JJA averages 17.3 in Saskatoon and 17.65 in London.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:53 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Well Saskatoon is slightly warmer in summer than London.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Well Saskatoon is slightly warmer in summer than London.
No, it isn't.

I'm not sure why this misconception keeps cropping up. I used the same Wikipedia averages that Dean linked to.

Perhaps you're only looking at the daytime temperatures? That's erroneous, since both day and night temperatures have to be considered. At night, you can open the windows in Saskatoon and cool the house down nicely, but in London with its relatively muggy nights, you can't.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Those are the links I used. Look again. London is warmer. JJA averages 17.3 in Saskatoon and 17.65 in London.
The lows are cooler in Saskatoon. You asked which would feel warmer right?
So the answer is clearly Saskatoon as its a couple of degrees warmer during the day, and significantly sunnier.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
No, it isn't.

I'm not sure why this misconception keeps cropping up. I used the same Wikipedia averages that Dean linked to.

Perhaps you're only looking at the daytime temperatures? That's erroneous, since both day and night temperatures have to be considered. At night, you can open the windows in Saskatoon and cool the house down nicely, but in London with its relatively muggy nights, you can't.
It's not hot in London so there's not much cooling down needed!

Old 12-31-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
The lows are cooler in Saskatoon. You asked which would feel warmer right?
So the answer is clearly Saskatoon as its a couple of degrees warmer during the day, and significantly sunnier.
Yes, that goes back to what I was saying. Saskatoon's nights are much cooler, and as a result, its averages are cooler as well. How would that make it feel warmer? Its slightly warmer days are not enough to make up for the much cooler nights.

I do agree with your assessment of the greater sunshine. From that perspective, yes, Saskatoon summers would feel warmer.

Let's face it, it's useless to look at highs or lows individually. Only the means count, and the means are higher in London, even if slightly.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:07 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,375,954 times
Saskatoon would feel warmer than London without a doubt; Summers are sunnier, less frontal rain, probably less breezy and I'll bet Saskatoon sees more hot spells than London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather