Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 11:29 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times

Advertisements

^^^That's only from your Euro-centric perspective. Olive orchards are common around here and they don't make me feel as though I'm anywhere but where I am. I realise that Olive trees do have strong association with Mediterranean climates, but it's different when you live in an area where they are grown primarily for commercial purposes. Should I think first of tropical Asia because there are citrus orchards here, or central American jungles because here are avocado orchards here? .... I think not.

There is no such thing as typical Oceanic vegetation. That just your perspective based on where you live.

Last edited by Joe90; 01-18-2014 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 12:01 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Mediterranean:

Santa Monica,CA vs Rome, Italy

Rome has cooler winters and warmer summers than Santa Monica,CA. Santa Monica is more typical of a Mediterranean climate while being located next to cold ocean currents. For that reason, Santa Monica is milder, and certainly warmer in the winter.

Oceanic Moist:

Seattle,WA vs London,UK

Cool, wet winters, and mild summers for both cities. Both cities have very mild winters considering their latitude, thanks due to ocean currents. However, Seattle is a warmer, wetter city over all, and it has rainfall patterns similar to Mediterranean climates, with low rainfall during the summer. Both cities tend to be cloudy and have many days of rain.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:03 PM

3,586 posts, read 4,974,461 times
Seymchan, Russia and Valdez, USA. Both Dfc but very different.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:20 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,746,132 times
Seville and Nice for example.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:08 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,575,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I still disagree. Olives don't need a hot summer for viable commercial production (100kg+ a year per tree). A frost free spring and a cool summer such as occurs here, is enough.

There is an element of fashion about olives, although that has since passed. The main problem for growing them here is that they can't compete with cheaper European exports -which I suspect is more due to subsidies than climate (although the Mediterranean would still be a better climate for them). Imported olives are very cheap here compared to the local stuff.
Can you see wild olives trees growing anywhere outside Csa Mediterranean climates? I don't think so.

Being back on topic, most part of European Mediterranean basin has slightly rainier summer than the rest of Mediterranean climates around the world.

Thus, most of Mediterranean climates in the Iberian peninsula have not the rainy season in winter, but in late autumn. We also have some places with both equal rainy peaks, even ion some places in the northeast they have the main rainy season in spring. I think it doesn't happen in another Mediterranean climate.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/32157220-post4.html

Old 01-19-2014, 09:33 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,575,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
In south western coast if France, classified ad dry summer oceanic climate from Nantes to Pays Basque it is commun that many of thise typically mediterranean vegetations is mixed with more typically oceanic one. As a result, the feeling is not typically oceanic as it could be in Britanny or Normandy... Because trees like stone pines, martime pines, etc. represents the mediterranean climates and not the typically oceanic ones.
Are there wild olives trees? I've been there two times and I wasn't able to see them.
However, it really looks very mediterranean, especially these huge maritime pine forest they have in the south of Bordeaux.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:30 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
Can you see wild olives trees growing anywhere outside Csa Mediterranean climates? I don't think so.
Olive trees here do produce seedlings from seed, so yes. The only historic trees I know of in these area (130 years old) did result in a spreading of trees, but was recognised as a potential invasive species and was controlled many years ago. That was in an area that averages 140 mm/5.5 inches a month during summer, so wet summers aren't a problem for them.

Regional invasive weed policy here recognises that olive is a potential invasive species, but that the behaviour of animal species that transport olives for food, results in the seed ending up in places where it is unlikely to sprout -mainly rats storing seed in places with no light at all, so it's a low risk.

Olive trees aren't exclusively suited to Mediterranean climates, no matter how you look at it. It's not actually a European native, and survives really well in many non Csa climates. The French author, Georges Duhamel said that "The Mediterranean ends, where the olive tree ends". I don't think I quite agree with that, but there is certainly a commonality amongst any climate where they grow -mild winters and warm summers.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:57 AM

Humid subtropical climate:

Atlanta,GA,USA vs Venice, Italy

Venice is cooler than Atlanta over all. Venice is also drier.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:30 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,353,919 times
Oklahoma City, US and Chongqing, China both are classified as humid subtropical but have very different climates. Oklahoma City is much sunnier having 3,090 annual hours of sunshine compared to 1,055 in Chongqing. Also Oklahoma City is much more subject to severe weather. However, there is not a huge difference in annual rainfall. (Oklahoma City gets 36.52 inches on average while Chongqing gets 43.48 inches.)

Old 01-19-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RmafAlex View Post
Oklahoma City, US and Chongqing, China both are classified as humid subtropical but have very different climates. Oklahoma City is much sunnier having 3,090 annual hours of sunshine compared to 1,055 in Chongqing. Also Oklahoma City is much more subject to severe weather. However, there is not a huge difference in annual rainfall. (Oklahoma City gets 36.52 inches on average while Chongqing gets 43.48 inches.)
I also suspect that Oklahoma City is more subject to blizzards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather