Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 06:34 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,773,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
Miami should be warm subtropical, like Brisbane is.
I agree that it should not be "tropical" but to rate it on the same level as NYC would be INSANE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 06:48 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
You sir need your head checked. Orlando is not even close to tropical. It dips below freezing every winter...How is that tropical???

Edit: You too L.A mex please explain how anywhere in CA can be tropical??? Even the warmest microclimates (like yours) experience average lows in the mid 60s in summer and virtually NEVER have lows above 70 in winter.
Please, you are misinterpreting my post, I have never said LA is tropical, nor that my suburb is tropical, i dont know where you got that impression from.

we average upper 60s most likely looking at a historical standpoint, but these recent summers we have seen average summer month lows at or above 70 F. not only us but coastal places like Newport Beach and coast adjacent like Costa Mesa have seen 70 F average lows in summer months in recent years.

and yes we havent seen 70s lows in winter, but again I never argued we have a tropical climate.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:49 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,473,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
I agree that it should not be "tropical" but to rate it on the same level as NYC would be INSANE!
NYC is actually Humid Continental.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:02 AM

5,706 posts, read 3,773,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
NYC is actually Humid Continental.
I have been led to believe it is Humid Subtropical which seems stupid. I agree that it should be humid continental.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:08 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
As someone who was born and raised in New York State, I can definitely say NYC IS subtropical, though at the very poleward limit.

It is noticeably warmer year round in NYC compared to textbook Continental Upstate

January
New York +3/-3
Rochester -1/-7
July
New York 29/20
Rochester 28/16

And while lows along the 90 corridor dip below -20°C every winter, NYC's coldest low is usually in the -10° to -15° range

Furthermore, upstate has generally continuous snow cover from around New Years until mid february, and gets 250cm+ of snow/winter.
Whereas NYC maybe sees 25-40cm in an average winter and it usually doesn't stick

HUGE difference!

Old 08-25-2020, 05:39 PM

155 posts, read 149,842 times
Default Good divisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
Miami drops to 40s every winter. that is cold. drops to 30s every two winters, thats freezing.

Climates that experience winters like New York cant be called subtropical, that is laughable, that would make Atlanta Tropical then. too warm for what, 82 F and humid isnt too warm, that is what Honolulu gets in Winter .same for Washington DC, too cold. go to New York and DC in winter and try to convince yourself that they are subtropical.

new york is warm and humid for 2 months, DC for 3 months, gues what there are 10 and 9 more months in the year (respectively), 4 of which average 30s and 20s lows (NY and DC).

Agreed on each item! Maybe warm parts of NYC might be at the cold end of some "warm temperate" that Wash DC and Atlanta are within, and Augusta and Montgomery are at the warm end of. And Miami...sheesh, so true. Just look at records of their freezes, plant losses, not only the milder years - the latter is too chamber of commerce for climatology or reality.

I wish geographers would first ask someone from Augusta or Montgomery if New York has their winters, and vice-versa. Or they would ask someone from Puerto Rico or Panama if Miami has their winters.

Old 08-26-2020, 01:06 AM

1,223 posts, read 722,591 times
I see someone earlier in the thread compared Miami to Brisbane climatically...
Ok, there are superficial similarities. Brisbane is 113 miles further from the Equator than Miami, but is somewhat cooler on average all year round.
Miami annual av max 27.4c ( 81.3f ). Annual av min 21.7c ( 71.1f ) Yearly mean 24.5c ( 76.1c )
Brisbane " " " 26.6c ( 79.9f ) " " " 16.4c ( 61.5f ) " " 21.5c ( 70.7f )
Miami and Brisbane can and do suffer a few extremes....I don't take a great deal of notice re historical record extremes....they are an outlier and shouldn't be taken into consideration re 'tropicality'.. Historical frosts have occurred deep into the Australian tropics as far north as 16.00*S and at lower altitudes
One should look at the 90 and 95 percentile and 5 and 10 percentile figures for max and min temps.... gives a good indication of temps that can be expected at the the high and low end as well as frequency statistically.
Miami, despite being above the Tropic of Cancer, qualifies as borderline 'tropical' in my view....

Old 08-26-2020, 01:50 AM

1,223 posts, read 722,591 times
Miami compares very favourably to Townsville in North Queensland ( lat 19.23*S )
Townsville is 1,331 miles south of the equator, Miami is 1783 miles from the equator.
Miami is warmer on average ( just ) for min temps than Townsville....whereas Townsville has slightly warmer max temps on average.
Yearly means....Miami 24.55c ( 76.2f ). Townsville 24.35c ( 75.8f )
No one ever considers Townsville to be not 'tropical" . In appearance , climatically, vegetation, lifestyle, architecture etc it is a quintessential North Queensland tropical city..
And even so far into the deep north, infusions of cold air sometimes affect the region....latest being back in May this year with sub 12c ( 53f ) maximums just inland of Townsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather