Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 10:27 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
I wish L.A-Mex was still active on this forum so he could see that statement. LOL.
Why lol. It really rarely doesn't ever get that hot at the beaches. A few days out of the year during Santa Ana winds it can push 90. 100 is extremely rare. But most days are like 72-78 at the beaches and low humidity. Tbh I don't actually like that, though. I like real summer, just never done it an older walking city like Philly with older buildings and window A/C units. Everything in Kentucky has really good A/C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 10:32 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,055,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
OH, my bad . The station used mush have been BWI, which is a heat pool in the northeastern Region. Always significantly hotter than the surrounding areas. Real feels have gone as high as 120 F there during extreme heat waves . Temperatures here sizzle during heat waves, sometimes reaching extreme levels of heat with humidity

Check out the heat map. This happens 15 times every July. I hate that oppressive bubble :
BWI isn't a heat pool; it's averages are always colder than those recorded in the city. During the day in January, it's around 41/42 BWI/City and at night 25/29. The differences are greater in other months of the year.

By "northeast", do you mean of the country???

Old 03-31-2016, 10:39 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,174,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Why lol. It really rarely doesn't ever get that hot at the beaches. A few days out of the year during Santa Ana winds it can push 90. 100 is extremely rare. But most days are like 72-78 at the beaches and low humidity. Tbh I don't actually like that, though. I like real summer, just never done it an older walking city like Philly with older buildings and window A/C units. Everything in Kentucky has really good A/C.

He used to post regularly on here and portray L.A. as a year round inferno; was good for comic relief (90s in winter super common, summer highs average of 100 +, etc.). I like real summers but not enough to sacrifice a mild winter. That's why I enjoyed last summer's warm epoch so much; balmy nights and warm summery days on the beach and comfortable swimming in the ocean almost every day from July through October (and Southern Californians learned that WARM rain was NOT an oxymoron as we got some). I love your East Coast thunderstorms but don't want to deal with average highs less than 60 at any time of the year. Philly from May through October looks spectacular though.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:46 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,055,674 times
Not a very terrible climate.

IMO, winter and spring are a little too chilly. Summer and fall are more to my liking. I prefer the suburbs over the city, here.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:20 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Philadelphia has fantastic summers, though a bit wet for my liking.

Winters ruin what is otherwise a pretty nice climate for me

Indeed, winters here do the same for me. I dread them every year. I remember meeting a friend for dinner one warm night in November, and he said "I'm gonna miss this". And every one of us knew what he meant. Every year we have to say goodbye to humid warm nights and it is depressing. And now the long climb out of it. I was out tonight, and it is still too cool at night to sit outside. We sat outside with jackets on and none of us liked it.

Not sure about the too wet comment though. I am pretty sure we are sunnier than where you are from. The rain comes heavy and in short duration for the most part, especially summer. It makes for quite green lush conditions in summer.

Why oh why can't we have a 13,000 mountain range on the Canadian border.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:24 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,361,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Indeed, winters here do the same for me. I dread them every year. I remember meeting a friend for dinner one warm night in November, and he said "I'm gonna miss this". And every one of us knew what he meant. Every year we have to say goodbye to humid warm nights and it is depressing. And now the long climb out of it. I was out tonight, and it is still too cool at night to sit outside. We sat outside with jackets on and none of us liked it.

Not sure about the too wet comment though. I am pretty sure we are sunnier than where you are from. The rain comes heavy and in short duration for the most part, especially summer. It makes for quite green lush conditions in summer.

Why oh why can't we have a 13,000 mountain range on the Canadian border.
I know all about long climbs, but down here it's unfortunately the opposite. Humid warm nights are possible down here all year-round.

Nights aren't even consistently below 70 F until usually late November.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:49 PM

Quote:
I'm renting a room on the third floor of a rowhome. It has a window A/C unit. Am I gonna be comfortable enough with just that? It's not that big of a room to cool at least. Is walking around in summer during the day pretty miserable? I love warm summer nights, though, for patio and rooftop drinks.

Roof decks are very common here, and becoming more so.

Okay, the bad news is that yes, a third floor apt in a rowhouse hood with AC window unit does not sound good based on my experience. I lived in a bi-level apt in a walk up. I had the third and fourth floor. The large row home had central air. It just could not keep up sometimes. That unit of yours will most likely be running most of the summer. If your apt is small though should be no problem.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:00 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,343,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Roof decks are very common here, and becoming more so.

Okay, the bad news is that yes, a third floor apt in a rowhouse hood with AC window unit does not sound good based on my experience. I lived in a bi-level apt in a walk up. I had the third and fourth floor. The large row home had central air. It just could not keep up sometimes. That unit of yours will most likely be running most of the summer. If your apt is small though should be no problem.
Yeah I've honestly noticed that central A/C doesn't work as well when it's really hot outside. Before I moved into my apartment here in Louisville, I spent a few nights on a friends couch. She was on the second floor of an apartment complex. One night was so hot outside, the central A/C was set to 50 and it just could not cool off the apartment. I stuck my face in the freezer to cool off a bit, and we eventually sat in a bar till closing time hoping it would cool off enough. It was still 92 around 11pm. We left at 4am and it was still 86. The alcohol helped us sleep through the heat inside.

OTOH, this summer sleeping at a friends place in NYC, It was only in the 80s outside, not 100s like here in Louisville, but her wall A/C unit kept me plenty cool at night and she was on the 2nd floor.

In a house I lived in in Louisville, my upstairs roommate ended up buying a portable A/C unit because the central A/C didn't cool off his room enough.

So I'm actually thinking that if the room is small enough, this window A/C unit might be an even better option? Let's hope! I don't mind having to run it constantly as long as I'm comfortable.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Yeah I've honestly noticed that central A/C doesn't work as well when it's really hot outside. Before I moved into my apartment here in Louisville, I spent a few nights on a friends couch. She was on the second floor of an apartment complex. One night was so hot outside, the central A/C was set to 50 and it just could not cool off the apartment. I stuck my face in the freezer to cool off a bit, and we eventually sat in a bar till closing time hoping it would cool off enough. It was still 92 around 11pm. We left at 4am and it was still 86. The alcohol helped us sleep through the heat inside.

OTOH, this summer sleeping at a friends place in NYC, It was only in the 80s outside, not 100s like here in Louisville, but her wall A/C unit kept me plenty cool at night and she was on the 2nd floor.

In a house I lived in in Louisville, my upstairs roommate ended up buying a portable A/C unit because the central A/C didn't cool off his room enough.

So I'm actually thinking that if the room is small enough, this window A/C unit might be an even better option? Let's hope! I don't mind having to run it constantly as long as I'm comfortable.

Here read this. It truly is a good list of 31 ways to enjoy the city in summer. However, many of us go to the beaches for weekends and for summer vaca. Some people go to the beaches every single weekend.

Your Essential Philadelphia Summertime Bucket List

Ahh, summer in Philadelphia. The steamy sidewalks, cool water ice, abundant alfresco dining, brilliant beer gardens and general easygoing vibe make the City of Brotherly Love a spectacular spot to spend a summer day.

There are so many, many ways to enjoy summer in the city, and we want to be sure no one misses out on experiencing summer in Philadelphia to the fullest.

To help maximize the time that’s left in the season — summer officially ends when autumn begins on September 23 — we’ve rounded up our top picks for quintessential Philly fun. From hammock hopping and water ice slurping to outdoor movie-watching and music festival-going, these are the activities that should be on everyone’s to-do list as of right now.

Some of these picks are temporary, though, and only available for a limited-time! Get there before the season ends (we’re looking at you Spruce Street Harbor Park and The Oval).
Here, in no particular order, are our top 31 ways to enjoy summer in Philadelphia.

And here is a great beach. I posted this in the other thread but you probably haven't seen it. Get ready for warmer ocean water than what you had in LA.

This is a state park beach in New Jersey about 50 miles directly east of Philly. Problem is no major highway so you have to drive local roads. Takes about hour and 15 mins to get there in summer during the week (minimal traffic and beach not crowded). Weekends is more crowded on the beach and traffic would be traffic heavy. I recommend you check out this beach at least once this summer.

[/quote]

Old 05-01-2017, 12:25 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,745,647 times
Does Philadelphia can get supercell thunderstorms ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather