Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 07:46 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
Yea like i said it could b the start of rainy season or just another false start(we have had 2 so far). But even if it is a false start summer isn't far away with NWS basically guaranteeing summer will arive at the latest early next week. I won't be here for it either way since I leave on Tuesday morning to Colombia
will you post at all from Colombia? Might be fun to hear about tropical weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 08:11 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
You have to rely on convective type mostly or those sea breezes..
That's what rainy season is referring to.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:22 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
That's what rainy season is referring to.
I thought rainy season implied the average liquid amount being more for the period.

Fronts and LPs also happen there in warm months so are you saying most of the rain comes from pop up storms? I don't follow Florida much as I said so not sure but I thought storms, shortwaves, and fronts drop more liquid this time of year then convective types.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:31 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,723,990 times
Quote:
I thought rainy season implied the average liquid amount being more for the period.

Fronts and LPs also happen there in warm months so are you saying most of the rain comes from pop up storms? I don't follow Florida much as I said so not sure but I thought storms, shortwaves, and fronts drop more liquid this time of year then convective types.
I think in the South in general, the majority of our rain comes from pop-up thunderstorms. Even here in Atlanta, our highest monthly rainfall occurs in July, which is most definitely from convective thunderstorms rather than a large, organized system or from a passing cold front. Starting right around this time of year, as humidity and temperatures rise, we get daily thunderstorms somewhere in the area. I wouldn't call it a rainy season for us, as we get 3.5+ inches of rain every month of the year, but in summer we get those quick 10-20 minute downpours almost every evening somewhere in the area, and those quick rains add up to an average of over 5 inches in July. Not everywhere sees it every night, but you can usually hear thunder or see lightning in the distance on most nights.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I think in the South in general, the majority of our rain comes from pop-up thunderstorms. Even here in Atlanta, our highest monthly rainfall occurs in July, which is most definitely from convective thunderstorms rather than a large, organized system or from a passing cold front. Starting right around this time of year, as humidity and temperatures rise, we get daily thunderstorms somewhere in the area. I wouldn't call it a rainy season for us, as we get 3.5+ inches of rain every month of the year, but in summer we get those quick 10-20 minute downpours almost every evening somewhere in the area, and those quick rains add up to an average of over 5 inches in July. Not everywhere sees it every night, but you can usually hear thunder or see lightning in the distance on most nights.
Thanks. Interesting. I get on average around 3.50" a month here as well. We don't get organized low pressures all the time up here so the rains mostly come from convective types in warm season and fronts. I got 4.20" so far this month

Old 05-26-2014, 08:45 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
We went quite Chicago a couple of weeks back here. First highs of 82F, then 84F and 77F... and suddenly 60F today. Tomorrow and on Wednesday 54F highs. Brrr...

Old 05-26-2014, 08:49 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,448,329 times
Quote:

Fronts are mainly a winter thing. This time of year the Bermuda high will pump moisture and unstable air into the region, so that when the sea breezes are activated and clash with heat over land, the convection blossoms on an almost daily basis. It's true that pop-up storms are common in most of the south, but Florida has an unbreakable mechanism:
NWS Melbourne Florida Rain Machine

Last edited by Wildcat15; 05-26-2014 at 08:58 AM..

Old 05-26-2014, 09:00 AM

Thanks G8.

Mid 70s at 11am. There's the spring we all got used to in recent decade. Lol. Kinds feels weird with DPs less than 60 though. Not bad.BBQ time. Will have my radar handy.

NWS NY

THERE IS A HINT IN THE MODELS OF ISOLD THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT...MAINLY
ACROSS THE WRN AND INTERIOR ZONES...THIS AFTN.

GUSTY WSW FLOW WILL LIMIT SEA BREEZE POTENTIAL KEEPING MOST OF
THE SHORE WARM. THE LONG SHORE FLOW HOWEVER WILL LEAD TO AN
ENHANCED RIP CURRENT RISK ON THE OCEANFRONT

Old 05-26-2014, 09:06 AM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
We went quite Chicago a couple of weeks back here. First highs of 82F, then 84F and 77F... and suddenly 60F today. Tomorrow and on Wednesday 54F highs. Brrr...
And that's why I dislike spring the most here. Just when you thought that the pattern changed for good, BAM we go in reverse. I mean it was 93F/34C on the 8th, snow in the air with a high of 44F/7C on the 17th, 29C yesterday.... These swings are detrimental to my sinus issues. These swings are also happening later than usual this year...

Old 05-26-2014, 09:14 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
And that's why I dislike spring the most here. Just when you thought that the pattern changed for good, BAM we go in reverse. I mean it was 93F/34C on the 8th, snow in the air with a high of 44F/7C on the 17th, 29C yesterday.... These swings are detrimental to my sinus issues. These swings are also happening later than usual this year...
Same here. The cold front was expected, but the force of it wasn't. It was supposed just to 'lick' Finland and then move south to Central Russia. Now the whole week is supposed to be very unsettled from 54-64F highs, and back to high 70's on Sunday and maybe even 80F on Monday, says GFS.

I don't have sinus issues, but these kind of drops and rises in temperatures are quite uncommon, though May is usually quite variable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather