Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 08:45 PM

735 posts, read 654,631 times

Advertisements

From Wikipedia:

"...first, Köppen has defined a dry month as a month with less than one-third that of the wettest winter month..."

So technically these are not even close to being Mediterranean climates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 09:46 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
When I talk about humidity I usually refer to summer 3pm humidity. Excuse me for not being too specific up there. I didn't check at first, but I roughly estimated that their relative humidity at 3pm would be around 40% all year round (and I was close as it seems).

It definitely is. Koppen usually gets it wrong when it comes to Australia.

OT: Just noticed, now there are three Georges in here (you, myself and ChicagoGeorge). :P
BOM bases their Australia climate map on Köppen

Old 01-24-2014, 02:20 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
BOM bases their Australia climate map on Köppen
Yes, but in a lazy way; The BOM map doesn't have 'humid subtropical' and 'Mediterranean'. Instead, it has 'temperate' (Sydney, Adelaide, Hobart & Melbourne) and 'subtropical' (Brisbane, Perth and......ALBANY??!? ) - BOM's 'subtropical' tends to mix in Koppen's 'humid subtropical' and 'Mediterranean' (though the cooler Mediterranean areas, like Adelaide, happen to be under 'temperate').

Those towns I linked are under 'grassland' and 'temperate' on that tedious BOM map:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-map_MJC01.png

I really despise this climate map - very lazy, amateurish and sleazy. I mean, the southern coast of Western Australia, which is rather cool to mild year round is 'subtropical', whilst a warmer 'beachy' city such as Newcastle is temperate. Oh, and how Sydney, Hobart, Adelaide and the Snowy Mountains share the same climate!? Maybe because I'm a weather geek, I just find the map to be downright offensive.

Last edited by Ethereal; 01-24-2014 at 02:42 AM..

Old 01-24-2014, 06:38 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,183,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
First, these towns get fairly dry weather all year round. Humidity is usually below 40% all year (mostly lowest in the summer months). They're far from humid subtropical. Looking at their rainfall and humidity levels, Rome and Barcelona seem much more humid subtropical than these towns.

Second, don't some Mediterranean climate places also have a mean temp above 22C in the hottest summer month? Didn't know that this was restricted to humid subtropical climate zones.

Third, I'm sure that they're more semi-arid I guess. Or at least in a transition state between semi-arid and Mediterranean because of their wetter winters (they're too dry to be partially humid subtropical and too hot to be partially oceanic).
Koppen definition for these climates is humid subtropical because winter is not significantly rainier than summer. Cfa seems to me a very generic definition, used for all that "undefined" temperate climates which are not oceanic, not mediterranean, not semi-arid, not continental.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:53 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,371,862 times
That Australian climate map is horrendously simplified, yet climate classifications are arbitrary and you must necessarily set thresholds to separate climate types. When you do that you will always have marginal areas where their climate type will not fit very well and areas of different climates which will be more similar than areas with their respective types.

I dislike the Köppen Classification very much, then again we would have in these cases either marginal Cfa or marginal BSk (I did not look into it). Qualitatively, the climates showed look transitional between humid subtropical/temperate and semi-arid mediterranean "Syrian climate". Just set your threshold to separate humid from arid. If you do it at the line of 500 mm, then we will have one humid subtropical and two semi-arid places.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:12 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,557,660 times
That map is laughable, particularly their temperate designation of Sydney and coastal NSW north of Sydney. Those areas are well and truly subtropical.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar89 View Post
Koppen definition for these climates is humid subtropical because winter is not significantly rainier than summer. Cfa seems to me a very generic definition, used for all that "undefined" temperate climates which are not oceanic, not mediterranean, not semi-arid, not continental.
Exactly. That's my biggest gripe with Koppen's map. Humid subtropical shouldn't be a 'filler'.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:29 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,371,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
That map is laughable, particularly their temperate designation of Sydney and coastal NSW north of Sydney. Those areas are well and truly subtropical.
This is not that important, at the end the definition of 'subtropical' and 'temperate' depends very much on the criteria of the authors. What I find irrational is that both Brisbane and Perth are classified as 'subtropical' whereas Sydney and Adelaide are classified as 'temperate'. It doesn't make sense at all.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
This is not that important, at the end the definition of 'subtropical' and 'temperate' depends very much on the criteria of the authors. What I find irrational is that both Brisbane and Perth are classified as 'subtropical' whereas Sydney and Adelaide are classified as 'temperate'. It doesn't make sense at all.
BOM doesn't seem to use that dated map. These two are also used (I favour the second):

Old 07-10-2014, 09:13 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,679,161 times
Mediterranean. Precipitation is too high for being Semi-arid, I guess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather