Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 09:07 PM

23,174 posts, read 28,961,581 times

Advertisements

I religiously watch the temps all over the world, everyday, thru the newspaper's weather map. Even Moscow! And, for some strange reason, it's been warmer there than in the Upper Midwest, much of the year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 09:15 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,669,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I religiously watch the temps all over the world, everyday, thru the newspaper's weather map. Even Moscow! And, for some strange reason, it's been warmer there than in the Upper Midwest, much of the year!
Much of Europe has been having a very warm winter this year... so no surprise there.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:21 PM

698 posts, read 958,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Lows were -25 to -32F for central and northern Wisconsin this morning with -8 to -16F for the southern areas.
Those temps are unbearable!

Old 03-03-2014, 09:42 PM

90 posts, read 123,590 times
I spent one winter upstate NY. Life's too short, sorry!

Atlanta is fine and has cheap housing costs to boot.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:02 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,162,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
You should be aware though many places on the West Coast don't have adequate air conditioning and that extreme heat events happen even in Oregon and Washington, though.
Usually if you're very close to the water that moderates the temperatures some. And eastern WA, OR, and the Sierra in California have very cold winters with plenty of snow.

However, I'm on the Olympic Peninsula and many winters we get no snow, or like this winter, a couple dustings that melt within hours, and it's never gotten about 80 degrees in the summer here. We're also in the rain shadow of the Olympic Mountains and only get 18" of rain a year. But it is pretty gray in the winter, even if it's dry, and some people don't care for that.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:55 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,987,962 times
Grand Forks North Dakota 71 out of 90 days of winter had below zero temps (at some point). 21 days with high temps below zero (F). Average 3 month average temp 1.5F degrees ...7th coldest winter since records began in 1890. 44.7 inches of snow in those 3 months.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:59 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,742,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Respondent View Post
I spent one winter upstate NY. Life's too short, sorry!

Atlanta is fine and has cheap housing costs to boot.
LMAO I hear that!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-04-2014, 09:06 AM

2,055 posts, read 2,563,338 times
I honestly don't know how you folks from the northern tier can even stand it. I guess, for many years, all of the industry was there, and the jobs were not only plentiful but offered better pensions and good pay. Families were raised and rooted there. Down south, we have never really had that solid of an employment structure, lots of agriculture, and still to this day, I think we have a shaky employment situation. Not nearly as unionized as those old industry giants of the north were. Now, cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Dallas, etc have large industrial bases and can provide a great living for you. Minus much of the winter weather. But our jobs often times don't offer the pension protections and guarantees that your old industrials did. Many more right to work states.

But everyone can't move to the south. Those northern cities just can't continue to empty out, particularly in places like Columbus, Cleveland, Rochester, and Buffalo.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:55 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,801,358 times
I grew up in Pennsylvania and moved out in 79. First to North Carolina, then Southern California, and finally to Florida, where I now live. I will NEVER go back North again. I remember waiting all Winter to be able to finally put our boat in the water in late June, only to have to take it back out again in late August. Now I have 12 months of nice weather instead of 3. Even when we get a "cold" snap here it still only gets into the upper 40s and only lasts a few days or so.

Nope, there is more to life than scraping windshields, snow tires, falling down on ice, and wearing too many clothes. Wish I had moved here years earlier.

Don

Old 03-04-2014, 11:08 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,903,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Much of Europe has been having a very warm winter this year... so no surprise there.

Yes, very much so. The huge amplitude in the jet stream riding way up over Alaska, then way down over the eastern US, they way up again over Europe. Europeans comparing their temps this winter to our temps is rather unfair. A place like Zagreb is colder than us in winter on average, but not this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather