Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 12:10 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,850,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I grew up in Pennsylvania and moved out in 79. First to North Carolina, then Southern California, and finally to Florida, where I now live. I will NEVER go back North again. I remember waiting all Winter to be able to finally put our boat in the water in late June, only to have to take it back out again in late August. Now I have 12 months of nice weather instead of 3. Even when we get a "cold" snap here it still only gets into the upper 40s and only lasts a few days or so.

Nope, there is more to life than scraping windshields, snow tires, falling down on ice, and wearing too many clothes. Wish I had moved here years earlier.

Don

Glad to see another mild/warm weather lover on this board. This winter it has been rough on here with these cold lovers posting every possible thing they could just to show us how cold it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 02:07 PM

18,750 posts, read 11,714,504 times
When I left work this morning at 530 am it was still pitch black and there was a gentle snow falling. It was around ten degrees and every step to the car was like seeing a million diamonds sparkle in the light. I marveled at how clean the world looked after a light dusting of fresh snow. The sun was just beginning to come up as I grew closer to home. I stood in the frigid temps watching the snow change from a glowing white to slightly pink. There were patches of pink light against a light blue sky. The colors were muted from the light cloud cover. Who knew dawn could be so beautiful in frigid temperatures? I've always avoided them. Seasons come and seasons go, each offering the bounty of what nature has to offer. For me it would be a shame not to have all four of them in my life, but I have to admit while I was standing there freezing my tush off I was imagining myself in the park at midnight on a sultry summer night watching the whole park light up from the lightening bugs.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:01 PM

21,394 posts, read 10,442,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnc19694339 View Post
A couple inches once or twice a year wont bother me in Atlanta. Plus it melts away in a couple days, my friend lives there and sends me pics all the time. Right now in Syracuse we have had snow on the ground since late November and it will be several more weeks to a month before this all melts away.

In Atlanta I can work all year long outside and only put up with a few days here and there of bad weather. The average highs dont get below 50 so how bad can it be. I have heard Atlanta has one of the best all around climates in the South.
I've told my husband for years that I want to live in a place that gets four seasons just to see what it's like, but this year we've had a lot of cold days and I've changed my mind. What we consider too cold is probably your average high temperatures during the winter. Yesterday it was 28 degrees when I woke up, and brrrr! It's amazing how thin your blood gets when you live in a warm place. I live outside of Houston, Texas.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:04 PM

21,394 posts, read 10,442,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
When I left work this morning at 530 am it was still pitch black and there was a gentle snow falling. It was around ten degrees and every step to the car was like seeing a million diamonds sparkle in the light. I marveled at how clean the world looked after a light dusting of fresh snow. The sun was just beginning to come up as I grew closer to home. I stood in the frigid temps watching the snow change from a glowing white to slightly pink. There were patches of pink light against a light blue sky. The colors were muted from the light cloud cover. Who knew dawn could be so beautiful in frigid temperatures? I've always avoided them. Seasons come and seasons go, each offering the bounty of what nature has to offer. For me it would be a shame not to have all four of them in my life, but I have to admit while I was standing there freezing my tush off I was imagining myself in the park at midnight on a sultry summer night watching the whole park light up from the lightening bugs.
I spent all my childhood summers in Chicago because my dad lived there. I remember the lightening bugs. We only get them out in the woods, and not nearly as many as you do up there. I really miss that.

Old 03-04-2014, 05:09 PM

14 posts, read 28,000 times
We are out and TX bound. I have friends in Hotlanta they love it. yes there is snow but typically it shuts it down except for this year when as happens "they" forgot and didn't prepare. No big deal unless you were stuck in the traffic or at some strangers home. That being said same thing happened here two years ago and 14 hour commutes were in order verses the usual 2. I have also heard go things able FL. Good Luck!

Old 03-04-2014, 05:33 PM

15,961 posts, read 20,920,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
But when it does snow in the south, things go haywire.
Statements like that crack me up, like things never go haywire up north when you get a lot of snow. It's all in HOW MUCH snow and what preparations are in place.
Two inches of snow here is pfffffttt, nothing. Ten inches is a big deal, probably akin to a blizzard further north and things do shut down, just like they shut down up north when snowfall is faster and heavier than the cities can keep up with. And that kind of snowfall down here is about as frequent and inconvenient as a blizzard up north, which is to say it doesn't happen with much regularity.
However it is true that cities that are on the border between cold and warm do have more of a problem with ice than snow. Ice can be a huge PITA, I'd rather deal with snow any day!

Old 03-04-2014, 05:54 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,698,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I honestly don't know how you folks from the northern tier can even stand it.
I guess, for many years, all of the industry was there, and the jobs were not only plentiful but offered better pensions and good pay. Families were raised and rooted there.
Down south, we have never really had that solid of an employment structure, lots of agriculture, and still to this day, I think we have a shaky employment situation. Not nearly as unionized as those old industry giants of the north were.
Now, cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Dallas, etc have large industrial bases and can provide a great living for you. Minus much of the winter weather. But our jobs often times don't offer the pension protections and guarantees that your old industrials did. Many more right to work states.

But everyone can't move to the south. Those northern cities just can't continue to empty out, particularly in places like Columbus, Cleveland, Rochester, and Buffalo.
Oh, yes they can. Thirteen percent more people fled NY last year than moved in.

Remington Arms in Ilion, NY since the 1800's is now building a plant in Huntscille, AL that will employ 2000 people. Beech Nut and Maytag left last year.

It wasn't bad, the weather, until he got hurt and we realize that what was easy ten years ago is now dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I grew up in Pennsylvania and moved out in 79. First to North Carolina, then Southern California, and finally to Florida, where I now live. I will NEVER go back North again. I remember waiting all Winter to be able to finally put our boat in the water in late June, only to have to take it back out again in late August. Now I have 12 months of nice weather instead of 3. Even when we get a "cold" snap here it still only gets into the upper 40s and only lasts a few days or so.

Nope, there is more to life than scraping windshields, snow tires, falling down on ice, and wearing too many clothes. Wish I had moved here years earlier.

Don
Amen to that, Don. FL here we come.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:14 PM

416 posts, read 810,914 times
Don't forget about south Texas either if you want no snow. More than four years since any snowfall. Only one ice storm.

It has been colder here than in previous years, but "cold" down here has a different meaning than "cold" up in your neck of the woods

Old 03-04-2014, 10:15 PM

698 posts, read 954,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I honestly don't know how you folks from the northern tier can even stand it.
But everyone can't move to the south. Those northern cities just can't continue to empty out, particularly in places like Columbus, Cleveland, Rochester, and Buffalo.
Many people up north like the cold, or so they say, they love skiing and any outdoor winter activities.
And being near family will keep folks in that cold climate too.

Luckily everyone won't move south, based on how busy this forum is though, there sure are a lot of people think about it.

Once my kids flew the coop I finally admitted to myself that I was miserable in winter, too darn cold in VT
and winter lasts at least 6 months, maybe longer. The heat is on for 7+ months, good grief!!!!!

Old 03-04-2014, 10:54 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,850,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post
Many people up north like the cold, or so they say, they love skiing and any outdoor winter activities.
And being near family will keep folks in that cold climate too.

Luckily everyone won't move south, based on how busy this forum is though, there sure are a lot of people think about it.

Once my kids flew the coop I finally admitted to myself that I was miserable in winter, too darn cold in VT
and winter lasts at least 6 months, maybe longer. The heat is on for 7+ months, good grief!!!!!

The cold lovers on this forum live in an echo chamber of fellow cold lovers. The vast vast majority of people in Philadelphia have had it with cold winter weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather