U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 06:57 AM

19 posts, read 32,743 times
Thanks, Clutch718 for the map. I never could get it to load, but I'll type it myself and see what happens. Okay, let's consider the coast of Oregon, and Washington. I have visited that area, and it is beautiful! That was several years ago, so I know everything has changed a lot! I don't like mold and mildew, and I don't want to battle either one. There must be a rural area (about 30 miles from shopping, etc.) that gets some snow and not too much rain--probably inland from the NW coast. (I think we'd rather stay in the continental US, so Alaska, probably wouldn't work. Thanks for the suggestion, anyway!) Could anyone suggest town names that are inland from the coast of Oregon, and Washington? I was afraid that I'd have to move some place that is quite cold and stay covered all the time, so I could go outside! I really appreciate all the help and information. Thanks to everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Status: "Collector of 80s New Wave Music" (set 27 days ago)

15,092 posts, read 20,267,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMorning View Post
Thanks, Clutch718 for the map. I never could get it to load, but I'll type it myself and see what happens. Okay, let's consider the coast of Oregon, and Washington. I have visited that area, and it is beautiful! That was several years ago, so I know everything has changed a lot! I don't like mold and mildew, and I don't want to battle either one. There must be a rural area (about 30 miles from shopping, etc.) that gets some snow and not too much rain--probably inland from the NW coast. (I think we'd rather stay in the continental US, so Alaska, probably wouldn't work. Thanks for the suggestion, anyway!) Could anyone suggest town names that are inland from the coast of Oregon, and Washington? I was afraid that I'd have to move some place that is quite cold and stay covered all the time, so I could go outside! I really appreciate all the help and information. Thanks to everyone!
You could try Corvalis, OR. It gets precipitation and has mild winter temperatures. It is drier and has more sun then the coast during the summer.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:54 PM

21,157 posts, read 25,609,456 times
I am with most of the others here; go with either coastal California N of San Fran or the Pacific Northwest west of the Cascades for lots of overcast days and mild seasons by New England standards.

Oregon's biggest problem is its exorbitant property taxes due to no sales tax.

If it were me; I would lean towards Washington State-------winters are not that bad (little snow) yet the summers are gorgeous.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:35 PM

Does anyone know if Olympia, WA is a good town to recommend? I have never been there, but I know it is the state capitol.

Old 12-08-2007, 03:49 PM

1,353 posts, read 2,735,011 times
You guys are forgetting that most areas along and west of I-5 don't see much snow in any given year.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:30 PM

19 posts, read 32,743 times
Thanks, Plains10, for that suggestion. I know very little about Washington, other than it looks lovely when I see it in the news, etc. I didn't know about the high property taxes in Oregon, either. I think Washington, doesn't have state income tax. We don't mind some cold winter weather. Of course, anything would probably seem cold after southern NM!

Old 12-08-2007, 06:08 PM

13,496 posts, read 24,586,838 times
Misty, I've been watching your thread with interest and if things don't pan out for you in the Pacific Northwest, you may want to check out Rapid City, So. Dak. It fits all of your criteria, but I hesitated cause I don't know what you consider to be cold. For me, everything under 50 or 60 is cold.

The climate is semi-arid so even though the summer temps can get up there, the dewpoint and humidity are always low. It does snow a lot there, but it stays mainly in the Hills and not in Rapid City itself. The city is in the Black Hills and is only a short drive from Mt. Rushmore. It's a beautiful area.

Rapid City, South Dakota (SD) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Average Weather for Rapid City, SD - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 12-09-2007, 07:01 PM

115 posts, read 187,203 times
Oregon property taxes aren't that bad. Check here: Property taxes: Where does your state rank? - MSN Money

No sales tax and car registration is low. $54 for 2 years no matter what car, pickup or van.

Old 12-09-2007, 07:08 PM

3,542 posts, read 5,437,288 times
You may want to invest in Colorado as well .... low humidity year round, manageable winters, and dry air year round.

Now I am not familiar with the cost of living aspects there, but weatherwise I think its a lock

Old 12-09-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
You may want to invest in Colorado as well .... low humidity year round, manageable winters, and dry air year round.

Now I am not familiar with the cost of living aspects there, but weatherwise I think its a lock
Colorado has way to much sun and is semi-arid. I do not think that is what the OP is looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather