Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 05:33 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times

Advertisements

Basically based on the Average Temperature of the Earth: 60 F / 15.5 C. Note that each element is NOT always a separate product, as some climates do qualify for more than one of the following items. (e.g. Houston and Austin qualify as both Warm and Warm Temperate; Traverse City, Mich. qualifies both as Cool Temperate and Cool; etc.)

ALSO: I purposely left out precipitation and even the freezing temperature of water. I intend to look for a literally universal system that can be used on other planets as well (Mars the most obvious example). I see this as a pretty objective way to determine temperatures at a certain locale on a planet without liquids flowing on the surface. In short, I'm using Earth to test this model out.

Torrid: Average nightly low temp in the coldest month is above 60F (Miami is right on the Border, with Havana and Acapulco definitely qualifying)

Hot: Average monthly temperature of the coldest month above 60F but average nightly low below 60F(Orlando and La Paz, Baja California del Sur are on or near the border)

Warm: Average daily high of both coldest month above 60 F, but the average monthly temp for the coldest month below 60F ( the rest of Florida, plus South Georgia and anything within an hours drive of the Gulf of Mexico qualify, as do Austin and San Antonio. on the west coast, San Diego is the northern boundary of warm).

Warm Temperate: Average yearly Temperature above 60F but average daily high in coldest month below 60F, but an(in the Eastern US, basically anywhere north of Interstate 10 but south of Interstate 40; on the west coast that would be San Diego to just south of San Francisco, but does include Sacramento albeit barely)

Cool Temperate: Average yearly temperature below 60F but average nightly low temp in the warmest month above 60F but (east coast, from about Richmond VA north to Portland Maine, westward to include even Montreal and Toronto, plus most of the great lakes except Lake Superior; west coast would be from San Francisco to N. Vancouver Island)

Cool: Average nightly low temperature in the warmest month is below 60F but the average monthly temp for the warmest month is above 60F (Coastal areas from Portland, ME to St John's, NL, westward to include Quebec City and central Quebec straight westward to Lake Superior, then more or less following the US-Canada border to at least North Dakota; West Coast, N. Vancouver Island to Sitka, AK)

Cold: Average temperature for the warmest month below 60F but average daily high for that month above 60F (most of Canada between Winnipeg and the 'Tree Line" ; Alaska Panhandle, and probably most of Alaska south of the Arctic Circle as well).

Frigid: Average daily high in the warmest month below 60F (pretty much the 'tree line').

ADDED: I realized that although this avoids the pitfalls of Koppen-Geiger's C climates (i.e. Tampa and Rejkjavik in the same broad scheme), it does nothing to distinguish Dublin and Warsaw, or Seattle and Quebec City.

Last edited by Phil75230; 03-15-2014 at 05:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 07:59 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,969,896 times
Hong Kong would be hot.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:15 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times
London = Cool
Kiev, Madrid, Milan = Cool Temperate

Doesn't sound right...

Old 03-15-2014, 11:33 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,652,265 times
Going to fail this one. My climate isn't the same as Moscow, and it isn't a colder climate than Montreal.

This system doesn't provide a better understanding of the world's climates.

Old 03-15-2014, 04:14 PM

825 posts, read 864,103 times
My definition, only for temperatures:

Year
A = Very hot annual average (above 25C/77F)
B = Hot annual average (above 20C/68F)
C = Warm annual average (above 15C/59F)
D = Cool annual average (above 10C/50F)
E = Cold annual average (above 0C/32F)
F = Very cold annual average (below 0C/32F)

Hottest month
a = Very hot summers (above 30C/86F)
b = Hot summers (above 25C/77F)
c = Warm summers (above 20C/68F)
d = Cool summers (above 15C/59F)
e = Cold summers (above 10C/50F)
f = Very cold summers (below 10C/41F)

Coldest month
g = Very hot winters (above 20C/68F)
h = Hot winters (above 15C/59F)
i = Warm winters (above 10C/50F)
j = Cool winters (above 0C/32F)
k = Cold winters (below 0C/32F)
l = Very cold winters (below -10/14F)

Examples

My climate = Cci
New York City = Dcj
Los Angeles = Cci
Miami = Abg
Phoenix = Bai
Vancouver = Ddj
Moscow = Edk
Longyearbyen = Ffl

What do you think?

Old 03-15-2014, 04:58 PM

Ddj for here, so the same as Vancouver, which is a lot more sensible than putting it in the same group as Moscow, or saying it's a colder climate than Montreal.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:09 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,545,607 times
I am all for classifications that more realistically say what the climate really feels like. However, I think it will always be a case of not really knowing what it feels like until you stay there a while.

There's the humidity factor, which changes things a lot. Winters here in western Oregon are very humid, and summers are almost bone-dry with cool nights. Aside from how it feels, I also can't grow tomatoes anything like I can get in NJ (the best).

Then there are complications such as the monsoons in India. May is usually the hottest month, before the monsoons start. With the change that happens usually in June, there's another example of how "you have to be there".

I'm all for a more descriptive system of classifying climates, but it can get pretty complicated no matter how you classify them. There will never be an easy classification.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I am all for classifications that more realistically say what the climate really feels like. However, I think it will always be a case of not really knowing what it feels like until you stay there a while.

There's the humidity factor, which changes things a lot. Winters here in western Oregon are very humid, and summers are almost bone-dry with cool nights. Aside from how it feels, I also can't grow tomatoes anything like I can get in NJ (the best).

Then there are complications such as the monsoons in India. May is usually the hottest month, before the monsoons start. With the change that happens usually in June, there's another example of how "you have to be there".

I'm all for a more descriptive system of classifying climates, but it can get pretty complicated no matter how you classify them. There will never be an easy classification.
Good point about the tomatoes. I look for visual clues like vegetation as to what (I think ) climates actually feel like. Other things like building styles, colouring of landscapes,sky etc, denseness of vegetation etc, often say a lot about climate.

I think the most relevant description of climates in temperate regions are Maritime, Continental and Subtropical, those titles can describe just about everything relevant to climates within temperate zones.

Any system based on a single season, isn't workable.

Old 03-15-2014, 06:28 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,471,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
My definition, only for temperatures:

Year
A = Very hot annual average (above 25C/77F)
B = Hot annual average (above 20C/68F)
C = Warm annual average (above 15C/59F)
D = Cool annual average (above 10C/50F)
E = Cold annual average (above 0C/32F)
F = Very cold annual average (below 0C/32F)

Hottest month
a = Very hot summers (above 30C/86F)
b = Hot summers (above 25C/77F)
c = Warm summers (above 20C/68F)
d = Cool summers (above 15C/59F)
e = Cold summers (above 10C/50F)
f = Very cold summers (below 10C/41F)

Coldest month
g = Very hot winters (above 20C/68F)
h = Hot winters (above 15C/59F)
i = Warm winters (above 10C/50F)
j = Cool winters (above 0C/32F)
k = Cold winters (below 0C/32F)
l = Very cold winters (below -10/14F)

Examples

My climate = Cci
New York City = Dcj
Los Angeles = Cci
Miami = Abg
Phoenix = Bai
Vancouver = Ddj
Moscow = Edk
Longyearbyen = Ffl

What do you think?
is that for yearly average max, or yearly mean?
for the hottest/coldest month is it based on average monthly max or monthly mean?

Old 03-15-2014, 08:02 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,939,609 times
Except, places like New York are too cool for 'warm temperate' and too warm for 'cool temperate'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather