Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2017, 05:19 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times

Advertisements

Russia....Sochi

England ....Portsmouth

Spain ...Bilbao

France ....Nice

Canada....Victoria (or Osoyoos)

USA.....Fairbanks

Australia ....Hobart

China ....Mohe

Switzerland ...Lugano
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 05:55 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
^ I disagree about Fairbanks. Fairbanks is just a colder version of a "typical" U.S. climate. I feel the U.S. is known for having four seasonal continental climates. If anything I feel like somewhere like San Diego or San Francisco goes against the stereotype.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:03 PM

1,363 posts, read 791,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Russia....Sochi

England ....Portsmouth

Spain ...Bilbao

France ....Nice

USA.....Fairbanks

Australia ....Hobart

China ....Mohe

Switzerland ...Lugano
Although in the case of Hobart it is on a subarctic island that is well regarded for its crap weather in general. I would pick Melbourne, the coldest and cloudiest city on the mainland.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:13 PM

269 posts, read 199,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Russia....Sochi

England ....Portsmouth

Spain ...Bilbao

France ....Nice

USA.....Fairbanks

Australia ....Hobart

China ....Mohe

Switzerland ...Lugano
How the hell does Portsmouth go against the UKs stereotype it's still cloudy, overcast miserable winters and crappy oceanic summers with no heat, seems pretty UK to me, maybe just less extreme.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:05 PM

397 posts, read 319,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
^ I disagree about Fairbanks. Fairbanks is just a colder version of a "typical" U.S. climate. I feel the U.S. is known for having four seasonal continental climates. If anything I feel like somewhere like San Diego or San Francisco goes against the stereotype.
I mostly disagree with this. The mean temperatures in Fairbanks in December, January and February are all below ZERO. It's a subarctic climate not just a colder continental climate. Cold-weather continental climates in the Lower 48 like Chicago or Boston have mean temperatures in the coldest months which are 25-35 degrees warmer than Fairbanks. The temperature difference in the winter between Boston and Fairbanks is basically the same as the difference between Boston and Miami, just in reverse.

I will agree with you that the US is known for cities with four seasons, whether they are continental or on the colder end of the humid subtropical spectrum (many major US cities are on the border of those two climates), and that cities like San Diego or Miami are outliers.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:16 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rose View Post
I mostly disagree with this. The mean temperatures in Fairbanks in December, January and February are all below ZERO. It's a subarctic climate not just a colder continental climate. Cold-weather continental climates in the Lower 48 like Chicago or Boston have mean temperatures in the coldest months which are 25-35 degrees warmer than Fairbanks. The temperature difference in the winter between Boston and Fairbanks is basically the same as the difference between Boston and Miami, just in reverse.

I will agree with you that the US is known for cities with four seasons, whether they are continental or on the colder end of the humid subtropical spectrum (many major US cities are on the border of those two climates), and that cities like San Diego or Miami are outliers.
I'd say USA doesn't have one stereotype, but one for each region. Florida has one stereotype, California another, PNW a third and Alaska a fourth. Fairbanks is pretty aligned with the Alaskan stereotype isn't it?

Old 07-29-2017, 02:24 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longaotian View Post
How the hell does Portsmouth go against the UKs stereotype it's still cloudy, overcast miserable winters and crappy oceanic summers with no heat, seems pretty UK to me, maybe just less extreme.
Because it's sunnier than a vast chunk of France, and pretty much all of Europe north of the Alps.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:02 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Because it's sunnier than a vast chunk of France, and pretty much all of Europe north of the Alps.
These places are not in the UK, though.

I'm pretty sure that Longaotian was talking about how Portsmouth is not so entirely distinguishable from many other stereotypical English climates.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:43 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,058 times
Portsmouth is probably as far from the UK stereotypical neverending rain and cloudiness as you can get, and the summers are far from cool.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:11 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times
22/15 summers, 10/5 winters and almost 2000 sun hours is a huge difference from somewhere in the Midlands like Birmingham, with 21/12 summers, 6/1 winters and 1400hrs sun.

Compared to Newcastle it may as well be in the Med.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather